Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bodyworks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone been to see this exhibition in London??

It's the plastination show, mostly of perfectly preserved human bodies, that's been extended to December due to popular demand.

Been thinking of going, anyone know if it's any good or not??

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Ewww How freaky.. Can't say i'll be going..
  • Options
    I saw it during the summer, I've spoken to a lot of people on their thoughts on it, and they vary a lot but I would really recommend anyone to go and see it for themselves. IMO the human body is amazing and this exhibition despite sounding a bit weird really brought out the beauty and vunerablilty of it in a tasteful way. :) I learnt more from it than I ever would in textbooks.
  • Options
    www.bodyworlds.com

For anyone who's interested.

It's a bit freaky, but at the end of the day it's only the human body seen from a different perspective.........
  • Options
    Actually seems quite intriguing!!
  • Options
    Everyone I know who's been, has come out afterwards feeling really hungry :confused:
  • Options
    I went this weekend, thought it was good but the praying memorial thing at the end annoyed me, and the babies corner was a bit sad. The displays were witty though, especially the guy in the hat. I'd say it was worth the cash and some say it's a great way to stop smoking and drinking (although it didn't work on the people I went with ;) )
  • Options
    oooh, I'd love to go to that. I saw some of Damien Hurst's phamalehyde (sp?) animals at the Sensation Exhibit in Brooklyn, and they were mindblowing.

I watched a documentary on the guy who makes those, I've wanted to see it ever since.
  • Options
    Well, that's two out of two who have actually been who are recommending it, guess that's a good sign. :yes:

I'll be shifting my lazy ass over there in the next couple of weeks then!!

:D

Thanks to Susie and go_away!!
  • Options
    There's been a thread about this before somewhere.

Anyway, I went a while ago when it was in Brussels. I only went because my friend made me, and I ended up loving every second. The people (and animals) all look like plastic - hence the plastination process - so it wasn't freaky as such, wandering around a gallery full of dead people in various poses with their insides on the erm, outside, because they didn't look real. Reminded me of Madame Tussauds gone wrong.

It was so much more interesting than Biology class, sitting there cutting up bull's eyeballs and chickens, or Art class for that matter, drawing dead fish and the like.

I was going to make a second trip as the exhibition is absolutely massive, and I didn't have time to have a real good look round, and skipped a lot of sections. Alas, I didn't go again which regret.

The baby section was horrible though. There was a woman with her stomach cut open so you could see the baby inside which was disturbing too.

What I found odd was all the tiny children running around the exhibition. I wouldn't have though they wouldn't have been allowed. But yeah... Hmmm.

Anways, I learnt a lot from it actually, which is surprising for me. *cough*
    Great stuff.

Definitely recommend it. If you miss out, you're a fool. :p
  • Options
    I'd recommend it to. After you get over the initial shock that you are a couple of inches away from a dead body i found it really fascinating. True that the children section was a little sad but if you were to show the sections of the cells forming into a child i think that would shock a lot of people into actually realising that it is a real child from very early on not just a mass of cells.

The best bit i thought was where they had a body disected and elevated 15/20 ft in the air to show how all the pieces fit together without actually being attached that was really cool.
    Another bit was the nervous system of a child suspended in water with red dye injected into it that was really cool.
  • Options
    I haven't been but dont wanna go after some friends have told me all about it. Such as - there's a head in a cabinet, looks perfectly normal from the front except it has no eyes....as the cabinet turns around you see that the head infact has no back and you can look thru the eye sockets and out the other side. Nice. One of the bodies is also the 'artists' best mate. Odd.
  • Options
    I'd love to go but I'm afraid my very weak stomach dissagrees :yuck:
  • Options
    That sounds fascinating! I'm gonna have to search around for someone strong-stomached enough to go with me now
  • Options
    I want to go but the mate I was going to go with has been in my absence:(

Ill have to see about getting my arse there sooner or later.
  • Options
    ~looks in, face drops, runs away~ :nervous:
  • Options
    I want to go, it looks v.good :)
  • Options
    Body Worlds is an amazing exhibition. Ive been twice and learned so much about the human body. In my opinion it is very tasteful, and not disgusting or freaky at all. If you havent yet been then i definately recommend u go.
  • Options
    I went not too long ago, and its well worth a visit.

do make sure that you're not on acid at the time, as I can not think of a worse place to be when tripping
  • Options
    I'd love to go and see it, but London's too far for me. Hopefully there's going to be another exhibition a bit closer sometime in the future.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Erm.... Why did my post appear as if it were made by my_name??? And how do I stop it. I can't see a log out/log in option. :eek:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    We are having a biology trip to look at that, hmmmm aby excuse hey :p

I think it should be quite interesting but weird at the same time. I just depends what you class as art i suppose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Erm.... Why did my post appear as if it were made by my_name??? And how do I stop it. I can't see a log out/log in option. :eek:

Mr_Wobble ;)

Go to the mainpage and at the bottom it says Log Out | Mark All Forums Read | Forum Leaders in blue links....click that :D
  • Options
    Im going in a couple of weeks, how much does it cost? I thought museums were free now.
  • Options
    the exhibition costs £8 for students otherwise £10 :eek:
  • Options
    Ouch :( Maybe I can disguise myself as an exhibit.
  • Options
    I went last week, it's quite good, but the babies bit is sad:(
    But it's worth going.
  • Options
    Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I saw it when it was in Basel, and wanted to go again when I discovered it was on in London whilst I was over there during the summer, but alas, never got around to it.

Everything Susie says is true, even about the wit. :p

Go, defintely go. It's worth every penny. :)