Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Top secret stealth jet revealed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A formerly top secret, bat-winged stealth jet has taken the aviation world by surprise, after a low key unveiling in St Louis, Missouri.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992946

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a bit slow though :)
    300mph :eek:
    fuck, whats the point of having stealth if you'll get seen caught anyway?
    im your classic stat lover - it doesnt say range, purpose, weapon capacity...

its tiny to tell the truth, so it needs space for an engine. That leaves a tiny bit of space for fuel and weapons. I would probably say that it either has very limited or no weapons and a small fuel tank - reducing its range. This is because they are modelled to deflect/disperse radar signals so any missiles stuck to the side would sort of make this modelling pointless. If you have ever seen the films independance day/broken arrow then you will notice that the fighter (yes they were fighters just huge ones adapted to a strategic bombing role) holds the misiles inside and are only deployed when they need to be used.
    Maybe it holds some weapons as at 300mph its too slow to compete with a blackbird (right name?) which fly above and faster than anti-air weapons can work (unless intercepted by a jet, but its about faster than any other jet i know). Maybe it could be equipped with one or two high yield missiles and used to slip through detection nets to hit carriers.

WARNING!! - SOMETHING I JUST NOTICED

The U.S air development is either:
    A)Grossly misleaded and is developing the wrong sort of technologies
    B)Preparing for a war with another developed country - the technologies being developed are not applicable to current theatres of operations.

Maybe, as China has one of the largest armies in the world, America is just scared and this will be used as a detterent rather than an actual weapon. Its just in areas like afghanistan etc. planes automatically adopt a support and resupply role so a stealth fighter would have little or no use against an opponent with no radar.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Maybe it holds some weapons as at 300mph its too slow to compete with a blackbird (right name?) which fly above and faster than anti-air weapons can work (unless intercepted by a jet, but its about faster than any other jet i know).

I remember some article on the blackbird. Yes it's just about the fastest aitcraft they made bar the x-series of test craft and a space shuttle. A also read it's already fairly defunct in it's surveillance role as satellites can now do the same job cheaper and easier.