Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cellulite/Weight Gain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This post isn't about me its for my girlfriend....

She has put on quite a bit of weight recently (about a stone), i think she still looks fine but she is really unhappy with her apperance because her thighs and tummy have started to show cellulite on them, and she has gone up 1-2 dress sizes.
She was upset because a pair of her trousers ripped when she tried to get in to them. She is not fat but she has gained quite a bit of 'flab' that wasn't there before even though she still eats exactly the same which is quite healthy (mostly chicken and vegetables)
Soooo does anybody know any possible reasons for the weight gain, and how to get rid of the cellulite because it is really getting her down.

Cheers, Deeb :)

Comments

• Options
    i feel i should reply but im not really exactly sure what to say.
    has your girlfriend put on the weight over a period of time like say 6 months, or a short time like say, a month, 6 weeks? has her lifestyle become less active, ie is she doing less exercise, or if she never exercised before, have her everyday activities become less active, like was she working in a job where she was on her feet all day and now she has changed to a more sit down job? i dont think im really making any sense. im trying to think of the possibilties, but it really could be anything. how old is she? she may be still developing no?
    im not sure you can actually "get rid" of cellulite (i may be wrong) but exercising will tone her up and make it look less noticable.
    girls tend to get bloated around the time of their periods, when clothes feel tighter, but this seems more than that.
    thats the best i can do for ya i honestly dont have a clue.
  • Options
    you sure shes not up the spout?
  • Options
    i was gonna say that but i was scared it was too personal a question!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    you sure shes not up the spout?

Positive :)
  • Options
    well maybe her metabolism is just slowing down a bit as she gets older. cellulite affects over 70% of the female population, so if she does ever find a way of getting rid of it, can you let me know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    has your girlfriend put on the weight over a period of time like say 6 months, or a short time like say, a month, 6 weeks?

She says in about 2 months, she thought maybe because it was the summer holidays there for she didn't have the 20 minute walk to school. She has got quite a bit of excess skin putting it nicely, (once again it upsets her not me because i love her the way she is)
    She used to be a size 8-10 but was never stick thin just had a nice tummy, but now the trouseres she fits into ar size 10 -12 and because she is 5'2 she feels the weight gain is more noticable.

Thanks for the help though :)
  • Options
    give her a slap and tell her not to be so silly, a size 10-12 is slim, even at 5ft 2.
  • Options
    So going from a size 8-12 in two months is perfectly healthy......?.
  • Options
    dunno?, you did say 10 -12, so id say going up one dress size in a couple of months isnt particularly drastic, but if its 2 whole dress sizes, and shes doing the same amount of exercise and eating the same as before, then maybe she should get checked out by her doctor or something.
  • Options
    has she gone on the pill recently? i have put on just over a stone in a few months from that
  • Options
    The best way of getting rid of cellulite is to exercise, drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet and massage vitamin E body cream into the affected areas just after you have been in the bath or had a shower.
    Also, i think that using one of those wooden massagers you can get from boots or superdrug help too.

I've gone from a size 8 to a size 12 in about a year and i've notice a hell of a difference in my body shape. It's because i've gone from a active lifestyle where i was getting about 3 hours of strenous exercise a week to virtually no exercise at all!
    I am going to join my local gym though, it's getting beyond a joke now! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It is probably nothing to worry about but it might be worth her just seeing her doctor to check that there's no medical problem causing her weight gain. It can be a symptom of some medical problems e.g thyroid problems. (I think!!) Just continue giving her the love and reassurance that she needs that you still love her just as much, which it sounds like you're doing very well with at the moment. xxx.
  • Options
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies
    The best way of getting rid of cellulite is to exercise, drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet and massage vitamin E body cream into the affected areas just after you have been in the bath or had a shower.
    Also, i think that using one of those wooden massagers you can get from boots or superdrug help too.

• Options
    Originally posted by Deeeeb

Glad i could help. :)