Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Is sex the be all and end all of a relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sex is an important aspect of a relationship. But is it ever the be all and end all?

OK, if it is then does that mean people only seek relationships because they want sex? You don't have to be in love with someone to have sex with them, do you? :)

Comments

• Options
    No it's not the be all and end all. I used to think this but I have learnt from my mistakes..
  • Options
    Hell no. But it's a great part of it :naughty::D
  • Options
    It doesn't even have to be a part of it.

Its as important as you and your partener choose to make it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyRed
    Hell no. But it's a great part of it :naughty::D

Hehe, agreed! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    It doesn't even have to be a part of it.

Its as important as you and your partener choose to make it.

Well isn't sex a means of creating bonds in a relationship? If two people did not have any sexual expression in their relationship, I doubt it could last very long. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons

Well isn't sex a means of creating bonds in a relationship? If two people did not have any sexual expression in their relationship, I doubt it could last very long. :)

I would say if they didn't have full sex, sexual fondlings or loving cuddling and intimate kissing then it wouldn't last very long. But I think as long as some of the mentioned ingrediants are there it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Re: Is sex the be all and end all of a relationship?
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    Sex is an important aspect of a relationship. But is it ever the be all and end all?

OK, if it is then does that mean people only seek relationships because they want sex? You don't have to be in love with someone to have sex with them, do you? :)

no, not the be all and end all. sex withough anything else is okay, but for one night stands only. if you have a relationship that is just based on sex, then inevitably it will not last very long.
  • Options
    Sex only becomes of major importance in a relationship if there is an imbalance between the needs of partners. Too many people think they must reach a certain quota of sexual activity per week to be "normal." It doesn't matter how often you have sex. What matters is the quality and the good feelings it brings. If too much stress is put on sex in a relationship then the quality of it will go down drastically for at least one partner, causing feelings of anxiety, pressure and resentment.

Personally, I believe that the best way to deal with sex in a relationship is to be relaxed, comfortable and to just let it happen when it feels right, instead of doing it because one feels obligated to perform or to keep up with all the silly statistics that try to make us feel that we must do it so many times a week to be "normal." :)
  • Options
    I think that sex is not the best part of a relationship but it does matter.
  • Options
    It is like icing on a cake. It may be very tasty icing -- but it is not the cake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    It is like icing on a cake. It may be very tasty icing -- but it is not the cake.

So would that mean a one night stand is like licking the bowl clean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle

So would that mean a one night stand is like licking the bowl clean?

*shakes her head sadly and walks away*
  • Options
    No it isn't...Sex has been the downfall of a couple of my rel's. If you can't have fun together without sex there isn't any love there. My current guy is trying to make our rel all about sex and I'm rapidly losing interest becaue of it.
  • Options
    i dont think it is, my mate is in a 2year realationsip and she cant have sex before marriage (her religion) and they are good together.
  • Options
    A relationship is a whole loada things which makes it good and last. Sex being one of them, but i don't think it's the be all and end all. I do think it had to be good sex though.
  • Options
    It's not the be all and end all of a relationship at all. I think you can have a great relationship without sex.....it just makes it that bit better ;)