Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey guys!
    This is my 1st ever post on here and part of the reason why is that my boyfriend is on here a lot (reads not really posts) and i guess i don't want him to know how i feel, but anyway..
    I use to self harm, but i havent self harmed proparly for about 3 years now, when i say proparly i mean all i have done is scratch that doesn't break skin. I use to do it really bad (well really bad for me). I use to do it every day and it use to leave bad mark and scars - some of which i still have.
    I know that this may seem weird, but sometimes especially recently, i feel like i really want to, but not want to - thats the wrong word really. I feel like i need to so that i feel something that i understand and can control.
    But i don't feel as sad as i did when i use to do it all the time, in fact, compared to then, thigs are really good, so i guess i don't understand why i feel like this. I feel i cant really talk to anyone about it, and i dont want to really because it feels really stupid.
    I don't really know what made me post on here or tell you guys, but i know that i want to and that i don't want to - i know that that might not make sense.
    I feel that if i do i will let everybody down, including myself and i dont want to do it, i don't want to go back to the way that i was before, but then i dont want to feel like this! :banghead:
    Sorry guys!
    Hope that you all are ok and feel better soon!
    So much to do.

So little time to do it in.

Meh.
    saz, how's the getting used to eating again coming on?
    lots of love for you frog x
    just feel a little unhappy at the moment.
    keep recalling bad memories and have been having confusing dreams.
    Im envious of people who have someone to love them and I don't have anyone to love.
    I miss various people who I will probably never see again and they'll forget about me.

I am very, VERY stressed out by the fact that I just can't get a girl, but I usually don't show it and don't let it drag me down. Because once you get bitter about it, and give up for good, your chances to get a lass to know converge effectively towards zero. Actually, I notice a distrubing lack of motivation to get to know other girls and therefore of course rarely meet any new ones. I was pretty active some time ago, but it seems like "I always got to know the wrong ones". It's hard to keep telling you that after a dozen rebuffs. :/

Moreoever: Don't think a girlfriend is the solution to your problems. It isn't. In fact, there will be always troubles (even if small) with a partner that you obviously did not have before, how could there not be any?. If you are clinically depressed (for example), a girlfriend is not your anti-depressant, always keept that in mind.
    StrubbleS is right - a girl won't solve your problems, Johnny.

And I'm in a similar situation, but I try to forget about what I don't have and what I do have. Also do have something to look forward to over half term.:)
    I don't believe that a girlfriend would be the immediate solution or any solution to my problems I think it would do my confidence a world of good. Which is what I need

I gathered this was what you were trying to get at. And I understand where you're coming from.
    me too. you know a girl wouldnt solve your problems but just feel like they would.
    im thinking more clearly now.
    just needed to vent.

just feeling a bit lonely is all and the mushiness in the air makes me kinda self concious
    Seriously considering dropping out of college.

Actually seriously.

There's so much work. And it gets worse.

Good god :(.
    Hold fast. I know EXACTLY how you feel. You've just got to discipline yourself Franki. If you ever want to get up and get going you're going to have to learn to deal with it.
    Except I can't deal with it. I burst into tears earlier because I realised how much work I have to do and how short a space of time I have to do it in. It's barely possible, even if I push myself. I still don't understand half the things I'm supposed to understand and just...eugh. I don't even know anymore. I thought I'd be able to do it but right now everything's just gotten right on top of me. It's scary :(.
    yeah, it's scary, but I've been saying this for months that if you start early and do it a bit at a time is about fifty times more managable. Stop leaving 6 essays till the night before. Read over the notes you take in class. Do the work you need to do when you need to do and everything will be so much easier.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    Except I can't deal with it. I burst into tears earlier because I realised how much work I have to do and how short a space of time I have to do it in. It's barely possible, even if I push myself. I still don't understand half the things I'm supposed to understand and just...eugh. I don't even know anymore. I thought I'd be able to do it but right now everything's just gotten right on top of me. It's scary :(.
    You need to speak to someone darling. I barely just by the skin of my teeth scraped into (a shit) uni because I was having problems with the work.
    Danny, *hugs* mate you sound like your having a rough time at the moment. Hope you can work things out with your dad, and the job hunting is going okay.
    Things are still incredibly difficult. It is now a genuine possibility that I could be homeless by this weekend, unless my dad gives me some kind of reprieve. I'm hoping for one, but I just don't know what will happen. It's a scary time.
    ^You need to give her a phone number for you, mate. :)
    I know people don't tend to look at the money and law section as often as others, and that is why I am posting here.

Me and my boyfriend are in serious need of help if we, especially him, are to keep our mental health and physical health together.

If you could take the time to read my thread about benefits that would be much appreciated.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    yeah, it's scary, but I've been saying this for months that if you start early and do it a bit at a time is about fifty times more managable. Stop leaving 6 essays till the night before. Read over the notes you take in class. Do the work you need to do when you need to do and everything will be so much easier.

This is very true. same goes for revision - don't leave it the night before. Do it as soon as possible.
    franki - if you drop out now you will have basically wasted the last 2 years of work and that would be pointless. you need your IB, you need to get to uni or you cant do what you wanna do. i know how much you want to teach and you have to stick it out for the sake of that. even if you take a year out next year, it wont matter. try to speak to someone at college about things because dropping out isnt the answer.

-x-
    sorry your having a shite time Franki
    (I'd hug you but I dont really know you)
    Take care, Franki. If I'm on MSN and you need to sound things out, please do so :)

But I agree with JsT, I was in a similar situation at Uni last year and by not talking to someone I nearly failed my core units and had to leave the course... please don't do that.
    Franki I've gotta agree with the others and say please talk to someone. It really does lift a whole load off your mind.I fell apart during my a level year and it just spiralled until i told someone. And now even though I didnt get what I wanted, or where I wanted I'm at a uni doing what I want to do. Take care xx
    I know I need to talk to someone. I know I do. But from what's been said, it seems like the only person that really believes I can do it is my boyfriend. I don't think I can do it, my mum doesn't seem to, and from what my tutor said the other day, it seems like my teachers don't either. I feel like I want to cry constantly because I'm so full of STRESS and yesterday I burst into tears in the middle of college (which was kinda embarrassing, actually, although only one person saw).

It's not even like I can postpone it, because it's my own fault I didn't do it. It's just the one thing that's stressing me out atm, but it's stressing me out so much. I have so much work to do on it, and just over 2 weeks to do it in, only one of which is when I'm in college. I was meant to do it over summer but I was so fucking EUGH over summer that I didn't have any motivation to do it and now it's too late. I can't NOT do it because if I don't, I fail my course and the whole thing is pointless.

I keep thinking it would be so much easier to drop out now, but then I think about how my friend said to me the other day "Franki, you'll make such a good teacher" when I was going over some Spanish with one of my other friends, and I think that if I don't do it then I can't do that. I just can't see how it's possible for me to do anything now :(. Basically, if I can't catch up by when I get back from half term, I'm screwed, everything is pointless, I'm gonna drop out.

I hate stress :(.
    Hey if anyone can talk to me about self harm that would be great. I know someone who is doing it and talking about killing himself just for attention, mainly to the girl he fancies, and it's causing her extreme distress. He hasn't been to the doctors and hasn't been diagnosed with depression, but ever since he got let down by her he has been saying how it's eating up his life.

I don't really care so much about him but it is tearing up my friend because she feels like its her fault, and is genuinely worried he'll do something stupid where I don't think he will. He's been self harming, but doing it in front of friends and in highly visible places, even writing about it in his livejournal like 'did this again' in a very matter of fact way.

I thought you guys would be the best clue as to what to do, as obviously I don't want to make it worse but if she went out with him his 'depression' would instantly be cured - and knowing people suffering from depression in my family where without warning one day there's a fucking ambulance outside your house because they've tried to kill themselves again - I know he's just putting it all on.

I know there are genuine sufferers on here and they're probably as incensed as me that someone can do that just for sympathy, almost like a 'look at me' thing, and I've had friends and caught them and when you ask they make some lame excuse and I couldn't help but feel sorry for them because I know after reading through here that all you can do is be there for them. But this SHer has practically implied if she goes out with him he'll stop because he'll be happy (by saying he can't help it because he's so miserable because he's lost her).

Really getting me upset because I've had a lot of people do silly things in my family and to have someone say it so meaninglessly breaks my heart, is the only way to describe it. Feel free to PM me or post it up here or whatever, I sincerely hope I haven't upset anyone, I'm not used to how this thread works. I'll remove my post if it's offensive.
    I don't think you've been offensive at all :) Whilst it does seem like he's doing it for the attention that doesn't change that he's got some problems. The only really thing I can suggest is to get your friend to try and get him into counselling. It's a tough call. He's basically emotionally blackmailing her but with him being self destructive it's probably very difficult for her to tell him to FO. Yeh I think counselling. I'll add some more when I'm less hungover:p
    I've spoken to him before about it (he was talkig to me about suicide at the time in a half hearted way) and gave him the samaritans number incase he ever needed someone to talk to and he laughed it off. But apparently (she's been telling me what he's wrote in his LJ) his mum wants him to see a counsellor and he thinks it's stupid because there's nothing wrong with him. But acting the way he is... I think there is.
    i agree with girl_gunner, he does seem to have some problems, but your friend shouldnnt feel responsible for anything and if he doesnt want counselling theres nothing you can do.

i think inside he knows if hes doing it for attention he'll know that she shouldnt go out with him. if he has some sever mental issues then he needs help. but you cant force him to do anything.
    I've spoken to him before about it (he was talkig to me about suicide at the time in a half hearted way) and gave him the samaritans number incase he ever needed someone to talk to and he laughed it off. But apparently (she's been telling me what he's wrote in his LJ) his mum wants him to see a counsellor and he thinks it's stupid because there's nothing wrong with him. But acting the way he is... I think there is.

He could be doing it just for attention, but it's hard to tell whether he'd putting it on or really does have mental health issues. He does need to talk to someone, even if it's just someone who has been in the same situation.

Has your friend spoke to this person yet?