Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    This isn't the place for that, though. This thread was started with the sole intention of being a place to ask for advice, and to get things off your chest in a safe environment.

There are ways and means of helping people to see other ways of thinking, in order to have a more realistic perception of themselves. Going off on a little rant about how depressed people are ungrateful doesn't do that- depressed people already feel guilty and worthless enough, without someone shouting and yelling at them about how they should be grateful for what they've got.

If someone had gone off at me like they've gone off in here recently, I don't know what I would have done. I certainly wouldn't have come back here, and I would have felt even worse than ever.
    :yes:

When people are depressed its like they're wearing sunglasses: reality is tinted with a darker, negative view of things. So don't be surprised (or pissed) if depressed people only see the bad stuff that's happening in their lives. Please let's not confuse this with ungratefulness, it's just part of being depressed.

I agree -please let's keep this a safe environment.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    This isn't the place for that, though. This thread was started with the sole intention of being a place to ask for advice, and to get things off your chest in a safe environment.

Absolutely. Of course it's worth pointing out the positives in people's lives if they are not thinking clearly enough to remember them for themselves, but essentially this thread is here (as is TheSite in general) to offer support, advice and encouragement. It's all too easy to take a few words posted on the internet on face value when there is often a lot more going on under the surface which is difficult to communicate online.

This isn't a place for knocking people down when they've had the guts to open up about very difficult emotions - and if you really feel that strongly about answering back either find a more constructive way to say it or report it to a mod to check out.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im not sure, but im only posting this here cause i think thesite might have broken after a user deletion
    How do users "delete" themselves?
  • Options
    thanx blue wisdom
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    How do users "delete" themselves?

hope you're not planning on leavin us :(

i feel really cutty today :( and I haven't in like a month or something. I never know exactly how long coz i freak myself out when i realise how long ive gone :(
  • Options
    hope you're not planning on leavin us :(

i feel really cutty today :( and I haven't in like a month or something. I never know exactly how long coz i freak myself out when i realise how long ive gone :(
    Nah... just wondered how she deleted herself as I always thought you couldn't.

Do you know why you feel like this right now?
  • Options
    Depressed people can have a great life. They can have a loving family, great friends, money, inteligence anything. I'm no expert on depression but I know enough as a sufferer. I know deep inside I have absoutly nothing to complain about. I have near perfect health. I have very good dental, health insurance so if something ever were to happen, it wouldn't be that bad. I have a loving, caring and supportive family and finacee. I have a decent job. I live in a lovely condo in a lovely suburb. Yes, things are good. If everything were as 1983 described them, then I'd be the happiest person in the world.

But I'm not, it doesn't happen that way. I've seen psychrists and therapists on and off my entire life. I, however get nothing out of them. I have nothing to complain about. I have nothingn going on that makes me sad. However I'm horribly depressed.

It is purely nothing more than a chemical inbalance with me. I lack the chemicals to keep me happy. For no reason at all I can become very depressed, needing to cut. Just totally irrational and emotional. And even then, I still can't bitch about anything. I'm sitting there crying, wanting to die, for no reason.

I've been on half a dozen different medications since I was 8. Just trying different ones, different strenghts. Its the only thing that helps me. The one I'm on now is fine for now. It doesn't work perfectly. I get in my depressive modes every now and again still.

But your right 1983. Sometimes people have no reason to be depressed. God forbid somebody who is perfectly fine feel down. Nobody chooses to be depressed. Nobody chooses to feel the way they do. Sometimes there may be some underlying problem that causes the rest, sometimes it is nothing more than a physical medical problem. You see somebody overweight. Say they have a thyroid problem, they can't help their weight, they may have the money for a wonderful gym and to eat the best of things, but they can't help it. Its not their fault. Its just something in their body that isn't normal. Can you yell at them for that? No, so why is getting pissed at people who are depressed and they happen to live a good life any different?
  • Options
    I cant pinpoint it. I guess its a combination of xmas/new year, being back home from uni and stuff, but im just gettin such horrible urges. its scary. ive stopped taking my meds again as i need to change them. my fault i feel this way tbh
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Nah... just wondered how she deleted herself as I always thought you couldn't.

Do you know why you feel like this right now?

You can't delete yourself as a user, but a mod can remove you.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    thanx blue wisdom
    Any time :D
  • Options
    I cant pinpoint it. I guess its a combination of xmas/new year, being back home from uni and stuff, but im just gettin such horrible urges. its scary.

Getting urges is quite common when you dont cut for a while, I get them really badly still and its been two months. You have to try and find the right combination of distraction techniques to get through it. And its never ever you fault that you feel like this, ever.
  • Options
    I had a thought the other day, inspired by a dream...

I'm thinking about starting an LJ or Myspace community for people suffering from depression or people who self harm. Or really, for anyone who wants any kind of emotional or spirtual support.

It's probably been done already...but my idea goes like this:

Many people say that a good way to vent is via a diary. So, I figure, why not an online diary? People could write about sad days and find out what makes them tick while getting support and comfort from others. People would be encouraged also to write about really good days and fun times they've had too. This way they can share them with others, be congratulated and reflect on what cheers them up.

I know that having someone to talk to does help (this site proves that) and I think it would be good have a community like I described where people could be open and anonymous.

It'd be a bit like this thread, but fuller.

What do people think?
  • Options
    There's already several LJ ones, but if you make one, I'll join :). Dunno about MySpace, but I'd join that too!

I think it's a great idea, though. Go for it :).
  • Options
    i just cant do this anymore
  • Options
    i just cant do this anymore
    What's wrong?
  • Options
    blah.jus not copin well at all today
  • Options
    blah.jus not copin well at all today
    Well, you know where I am, yes?
  • Options
  • Options
    What is it with people and editing their posts once I've already seen them?!

Gav, remember the rule, k?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    It is purely nothing more than a chemical inbalance with me. I lack the chemicals to keep me happy. For no reason at all I can become very depressed, needing to cut. Just totally irrational and emotional. And even then, I still can't bitch about anything. I'm sitting there crying, wanting to die, for no reason.

I've been on half a dozen different medications since I was 8. Just trying different ones, different strenghts. Its the only thing that helps me. The one I'm on now is fine for now. It doesn't work perfectly. I get in my depressive modes every now and again still.

Bullshit. You know that you have this inbalance how?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Bullshit. You know that you have this inbalance how?

I've taken enough shit to practically wipe out the chemicals that make you happy altogether and I'm still happy as larry.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    There's already several LJ ones, but if you make one, I'll join :). Dunno about MySpace, but I'd join that too!

I think it's a great idea, though. Go for it :).

That would be awesome! I'll keep it in mind!
  • Options
    I'm gonna be sick I'm gonna be sick I'm gonna be sick I'm gonna be sick.

Fuck.
  • Options
    why you gonna be sick?
  • Options
    OK, I've moved all the stuff about the chemical balance debate into P&D. If you want to discuss that in more detail can you wander over there please - and remember that this thread is supposed to be about support.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Coping is about all i'm not doing right now. Made a mess cutting last night and don't want to do it again, drinking just so I can stand my family i'm turning into my dad
  • Options
    Drinking makes things worse, it never makes it better.

If you're drinking you're not coping.

Is there anyone you can talk to? Why are you wanting to drink to escape reality?
  • Options
    why am i always let down. *sigh*
  • Options
    *Sigh* I've just spent 20 minutes deleting all that personal stuff. Please don't start it again or there'll be bannings.
  • Options
    I bow to you Spanner. Thanks a lot.