Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone and everything :( I got that upset this afternoon I made a noose out of my dressing gown tie. I ended up calming down though thank gawd.

Maybe you need to go see a doctor. You can't go on like this.
  • Options
    Everyone and everything :( I got that upset this afternoon I made a noose out of my dressing gown tie. I ended up calming down though thank gawd.

why does everyone upset you?

also you should tell someone you're feeling like this, you need someone to watch out for you making sure you're alright. also if you're feeling err..well suicidal, i'd try to avoid being on your own incase you do something silly.
  • Options
    Living hurts me, when the 'festive season' is over- i dont need to be here.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    *sigh* I really do have nothing to live for. I just want to stop feeling everything that I do. I want to stop thinking.

You may think you have nothing left to live for, however, I am sure your family would miss you and you forget - no matter how bad things are, you are still only a student, working for a better life, working towards having so very much to live for. Yes, things feel shitty at the moment, however, all these experiences will make you a stronger person in the future, when you will have so very much to live for. Look to the future, don't think about the now. I know that is an easier thing to say than do, but it did help me when I felt the same as you.
    Everything would be over if I did one simple thing...

But it isn't that simple, is it?

You are a beautiful, young girl, with the whole world at your feet. I promise, things *will* improve.
  • Options
    *sigh* I really do have nothing to live for. I just want to stop feeling everything that I do. I want to stop thinking. Everything would be over if I did one simple thing...

It would probably help you more if you were to talk about what makes you feel like this, rather than just write that you want everthing to stop...
  • Options
    *sigh* I really do have nothing to live for. I just want to stop feeling everything that I do. I want to stop thinking. Everything would be over if I did one simple thing...

A few days ago i felt like this for like 1 minute (seems strange lol), and it's the worst thing i have ever felt i think, you just have to rationalise it and try and realise there is stuff to be here for ;p
  • Options
    girl interuppted, if you're feeling like this you reallllly should go and see someone (i seem to remember saying you'd been to the doctors but go again). please try and think that even though you might feel shitty from now, the only way is up. xx
  • Options

You really have been through a lot the last couple of months, but you can get through this, please go back to your doctors and talk this through with them. Please PM me if you want someone to talk to.
  • Options
    don't be scared, it's going to help you and surely anything is better than feeling like this?
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Living hurts me, when the 'festive season' is over- i dont need to be here.
    I'm sure if the 'festive season' is keeping you going, there will be someone or something that will keep you going after its over... Anyway, whatever it is that's making you feel this way talk it over with someone. Tis always relieving to let out the angst imo. You can always post here about your issues, you know that, people will be glad to help, or at the very least, to listen.
    :)
  • Options
    don't be scared, it's going to help you and surely anything is better than feeling like this?
    :yes:
  • Options
    I pop in and have a read now and then, and one thing has been making me curious for a while.

Girl Interrupted, what is SO bad about your life? You say everything, and everyone. You have your health, your limbs. You have a life in front of you. What is SO bad? Bullet point if you have to.

I don't see how anyone SO young can think everything is shite when they have their life ahead of them. I really don't.

I'll be blunt, and will probably get "Don't say anything unless you've been there, etc" and this is NO way initiating you do anything of the kind. But, if you were SO at your wit's end, wouldn't you have done it already rather than saying "Oh it would be so simple, etc."?

Don't you want to meet someone lovely, have a family, go see the world, and see your children grow up?

This isn't directed just at everyone on the boards, because I know people from here personally, and understand why they feel like this, but some of you need to hear

It all seems like a cry for help, but you do so little to actually help yourself apart from say how no one wants to help you and how everything is so shit. this.

Take action and responsibility for your life. Easier said than done, but it's the most realistic thing you could do here.

Life is far too precious for you to sit and think how everything is crashing around you when you have the ability to do so much.

My Dad and Mum have shit health, and have been through lots more than what most people on here mope about and to think all young, fit ABLE people sit and say how crap life is and how things are when you're all so fucking young is really irritating.

You are really ungrateful. Especially when you repeat yourself and don't do anything to help yourself apart from "My Doctor doesn't understand". Eight times out of ten, most of you are 473829% different in your Doctor's presence than you are on your on, belittling the chance of any help that you need.

It's just that people don't really understand the privilege that they have to fix things. Make things better. That really riles me.

I'm sorry if I came across really horrid or whatever, but I had to get all that off my chest.
  • Options
    Sorry but I'm going to have to take 1983's side on this. Well not totally because I know depression is quite bad but really, most people here don't have it bad at all, we're lucky enough to even have the internet to vent our frustrations, a privelige very few have. Our whole lives are ahead of us, and while I know being depressed is hard to get out of, putting things into perspective can be the first stage of recovery.
  • Options
    Some people have it great, and get depressed. Some have it shit, and love life.
    People are different.
    Depression is an illness, its not just a reaction to situations. Its hard to understand how it can take every bit of positivity out of everything.
    When you feel down, upset, pissed off- thinking about how wonderful things are is hard to appreciate, and its like that all the time for some people.
    Admittedly i do think people suffering depression do become quite quite self-pitying and self-centred. I think a lot of people that have been ill long-term would admit to being more comfortable wallowing in their pity.

I agree that a lot of people do piss all to help themselves, and when they do they dont explain how they feel and what they want.
    Ill admit i expected my doctor to have psychic powers and wave a wand to make things better.
    Doesnt happen. but you can make the most of what you do get before you give up.

A little while back i moaned that psychotherapy hadnt helped after a year, but decided I had to have at least done all i could, so as i find it hard to open up, i started keeping a very honest diary and showed it to her. Hardest thing ever but who can say i havent tried? I know ive tried, and feel better just for that. After 3 times, weve discovered a lot already.

Sounds like im preaching but im not because on the advice of my doctor who ive been seeing for almost 2 years, ive got a decent job, with career propects etc etc. Well now i cant actually get the days off i need to see her, or the day off that i see my therapist on. I cant fit any of it in or around work hours, nothing.

Take the chances when youve got them.
  • Options
    It isn't how everyone feels - we're all entitled to an opinion on what we see :). Remember, folk in here get a very limited view on your problem - they only see what you post, nothing else...

Chin up, gorgeous - if all else fails, I'll marry you :).
  • Options
    Of course I do! I just can't see it happening to me though :(

Well that's the root of the problem then. It's how you see yourself and not how others see you, you're quite attractive, so what if you're ex dumped you, you can get another bloke not a bother.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    so what if you're ex dumped you

That isn't what happened though?
  • Options
    Ok, sorry but you get my drift. There's plenty of fish in the sea!
  • Options
    you didn't always seem to be fully happy in your relationship (with a lot of paranoia etc..well that's the picture i got from the posts you made) so now at least you're young and single and have the whole word in front of you. you only get our of life what you put into it so go out there and grab it with both hands. :yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    I'v done two months now without cutting, and its all I want to do! :banghead:
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    My Dad and Mum have shit health, and have been through lots more than what most people on here mope about and to think all young, fit ABLE people sit and say how crap life is and how things are when you're all so fucking young is really irritating.
    Health isn't just a physical entity though is it?

You don't know the past of the majority of the people on here. People's pasts deeply and intimately affect the way they deal with the present. What seems like a small issue for one person can effect another person far more deeply.

I'm 21 but I've had more shit happen to me than many people get in their whole lives. I'm sure other people on here are the same. Just because it's not in someone's LJ doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I think you need to be more sensitive with what you post in this thread in particular.
  • Options
    I would like to have this thread as a place where people can share experiences of self-harm, that they can talk to people who have been through it, and come out on the other side, and hopefully, advice can be given on how to help yourself, and what to say as a friend of someone who's self-harming.

Let me first establish a few ground rules. If they're broken, folks, I'll close and delete the thread before the mods get anywhere near it.
    This is a sharing thread. You cannot judge other people, not criticise what they've done; it's their life, folks.
    Please do not use this as an excuse for bitching at people.
    Equally, please let's try not to turn this in to a game of oneupmanship of depressive events, or whatever. We're sharing, not competing
    Finally, if anybody insults or puts people down on this thread, I swear to God I will come and make your life a living hell. Don't even think it, folks.

This was orginally posted by DJP who started this thread. I just wanted to remind some of you who seem to have forgotten the "rules" of this thread and who are changing the tone of this thread from something really really helpful to a bitching forum.
  • Options
    im not sure, but im only posting this here cause i think thesite might have broken after a user deletion
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    This was orginally posted by DJP who started this thread. I just wanted to remind some of you who seem to have forgotten the "rules" of this thread and who are changing the tone of this thread from something really really helpful to a bitching forum.

Maybe. But maybe not. I'd question how useful it is for a whole load of people to pander to other people without anyone actually questioning the status quo and playing a bit of a devil's advocate.

Reinforcing people's opinions can be as detrimental as attacking them.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im not sure, but im only posting this here cause i think thesite might have broken after a user deletion

TheSite isn't broken just that the fact the user deleted had a high post count has upset it a bit and now there a gaps in threads and threads gone that used to exist and will take a while for it to sort itself out.
  • Options
    xxx has been deleted?!?
  • Options
    who got deleted and why?
  • Options
    TheSite isn't broken just that the fact the user deleted had a high post count has upset it a bit and now there a gaps in threads and threads gone that used to exist and will take a while for it to sort itself out.

its still broke bits of the site, that may well fix over time, but after we've posted a lot in here
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I'd question how useful it is for a whole load of people to pander to other people without anyone actually questioning the status quo and playing a bit of a devil's advocate.

This isn't the place for that, though. This thread was started with the sole intention of being a place to ask for advice, and to get things off your chest in a safe environment.

Also, 1983's pathetic little rant has nothing to do with "challenging the status quo", and everything to do with attacking one particular user IMHO.

There are ways and means of helping people to see other ways of thinking, in order to have a more realistic perception of themselves. Going off on a little rant about how depressed people are ungrateful doesn't do that- depressed people already feel guilty and worthless enough, without someone shouting and yelling at them about how they should be grateful for what they've got.

If someone had gone off at me like they've gone off in here recently, I don't know what I would have done. I certainly wouldn't have come back here, and I would have felt even worse than ever. Showing people why they are wrong is one thing, but what 1983 has posted in here is completely and totally unacceptable. That disappoints me, because I always credited her with more intelligence and tact than that.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    but you can make the most of what you do get before you give up.
    decided I had to have at least done all i could, so as i find it hard to open up, i started keeping a very honest diary and showed it to her. Hardest thing ever but who can say i havent tried? I know ive tried, and feel better just for that. After 3 times, weve discovered a lot already.

Sounds like im preaching but im not because on the advice of my doctor who ive been seeing for almost 2 years, ive got a decent job, with career propects etc etc.

Good for you! :thumb: