Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So, here i am again. its very complicated but i have the urges to hurt myself due to particular reasons over authorites that are WRONG.
    I went out today and it was a big mistake. well on one hand it told me that i was taking this too easy but fucking hell i had no space to breathe. I need to be on my guard. They pressurise me into hurting myself because i know the TRUTH, i know they are there and thats the difference between you and me...i know what hurts the most and they are in control. this is all too overwhelming :crying:

please try to be safe *hug*
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm 'looking better'. Well hurrah for that. :rolleyes:

ugh. probably the worst attempted compliment in the world.
    thinking of you :heart:
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    ugh. probably the worst attempted compliment in the world.
    thinking of you :heart:

It was so nicely meant by my mentor but it just comes with a cost (shrug)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    It was so nicely meant by my mentor but it just comes with a cost (shrug)

i understand. you're not alone.
    x
  • Options
    Little help

Hey, I've recently been struggling with my counciling, I find it hard to talk to others about my feelings, hence why I came on this site in the first place, I'm sure alot of other people feel the same way, I found out about a programme called CBT, cognitive behaviour therapy online and thought I should share it with everyone, you might of heard of it if so sowwie :blush: but I find it alot easier to write how I feel, and this is perfect for me, good luck everyone!
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
  • Options
    It won't stop the anxiety for long.

What sort of support do you have over there? Can you get anti-anxiety medication?

Try and think of other distraction and calming techniques.
    There's also an article here on dealing with urges.

How late does the pool stay open? Maybe you could try to time your swim for the evening, if that's when the anxiety is generally at its worst?

I know it sounds like vain platitudes but it's just not worth getting back into self-harm. It really won't kill the anxiety; long-term it's more likely to get worse. :hugs:

Glad the breathing helped a little. It takes a while to get used to doing it. I have a lot of audiobooks so I'll sometimes put one on whilst I'm doing it for 10 mins or so to keep my brain occupied.
  • Options
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Diazepam is meant for anxiety, isn't it? I got some a while back, 2mg tabs, but they never actually seem to do anything.

You might need a higher dose for really anxious moments? 2g is a low-ish dose...or you might need more of a maintenance anxiety med like Duloxetine or Cipralex? (but man, there are so many drugs! http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/effect/depression.shtml)

I used to do the deep breathing loads, and automatically got into the habit of it, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside due to not really having a need to use it that much anymore. I'll keep going with it though.

I've been feeling really anxious all afternoon and I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's randomised or what, but it's funny it pretty much started when our successors did on Monday. I'm not usually anxious, which is the really weird thing. (The CBT with the breathing exercises was for a phobia; I take the citalopram for depression - I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety or anything...) I'll keep searching for reasons.[/QUOTE]

Well the Phobia is basically a type of anxiety right? so technically you have been treated for anxiety even if it's not the same as what you have now. I have felt the same as you, when i've had 'subconscious' anxiety- it's really difficult to deal with this, when m body is anxious (shaking, heart racing etc) and i can't immediately identify the source and make it go away so i can calm myself down.
  • Options
    Citalopram is for anxiety too, maybe you need a higher dose of it? Diazepam isn't really a long or even medium term solution. Hope you find something that works :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Citalopram is for anxiety too, maybe you need a higher dose of it? Diazepam isn't really a long or even medium term solution. Hope you find something that works :)

• Options
    Working in summer and having to hide scars

What i am finding difficult at the moment is working in the summer and having to wear a t-shirt, therefore not being able to hide scars. Most of the time i don't get freaked out by people seeing them, as i am determined to not live my life in hiding. I don't want people to see them, but i don't want to be forced into wearing long sleeves constantly and having to live my life a certain way because of society. But there's something different when i'm in work, i feel that they should be hidden and so when it's hot in the summer i have no way of doing this :( and it makes me dread going to work.
  • Options
    I used to wear a long-sleeved uniform shirt over a vest top in the summer and that seemed to be ok. It's a little hot, of course, but that was how I felt most comfortable.

I didn't really want people at work to question the scars, and the one time I forgot to put long sleeves on I got grief from a customer.
  • Options
    speak to your manager about it. my work let me wear a cardigan over my shirt, even though no one else is allowed to.
  • Options
    I severely cut myself for 4 years and i now live with over 180 large scars on my body. It got to the point where i was admitted to a child psychiatric unit for 3 months and was let out after i begged my family to let me come home. Ever since i left about a year and a half ago i have only cut myself 3 times. I still suffer with depression but i have no urges to hurt myself.

I thought i'd never stop s/h but i am proof that with the right reasons, you can do it.
  • Options
    I severely cut myself for 4 years and i now live with over 180 large scars on my body. It got to the point where i was admitted to a child psychiatric unit for 3 months and was let out after i begged my family to let me come home. Ever since i left about a year and a half ago i have only cut myself 3 times. I still suffer with depression but i have no urges to hurt myself.

I thought i'd never stop s/h but i am proof that with the right reasons, you can do it.

that's brilliant to hear, well done x
  • Options
    I can feel things getting difficult again...trying not to think about self harming. It's all so muddled up it's hard to explain. I am going to try my best to have a good weekend...I'm a bit nervous.
  • Options
    feeling really down tonight when i shouldnt be. think it was looking through old family photos and seeing how obvious it was my dad loved us when he was well and healthy. it shouldnt upset me, i would have thought it would be uplifting but it isn't right now.
  • Options
    so alone around so many people. It's gonna happen all over again...:(
  • Options
    This is the first time I have ever really talked about this, it's become a "taboo" subject in some ways.

I have always struggled with if what I do even counts. I always feel like whatever is going on with me, doesn't matter. Because there is always someone out there who is worse off.

That is one of the reasons why I scratch at my wrists with scissors. I never go deep enough to draw much blood, but I have no idea as to whether that's because I don't want people to notice I do it... or because I'm scared. Maybe a bit of both?

I don't know, I guess it just felt good to get that thought out, for someone to hear.
  • Options
    :crying:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    GNDBlog wrote: »
    This is the first time I have ever really talked about this, it's become a "taboo" subject in some ways.

I have always struggled with if what I do even counts. I always feel like whatever is going on with me, doesn't matter. Because there is always someone out there who is worse off.

That is one of the reasons why I scratch at my wrists with scissors. I never go deep enough to draw much blood, but I have no idea as to whether that's because I don't want people to notice I do it... or because I'm scared. Maybe a bit of both?

I don't know, I guess it just felt good to get that thought out, for someone to hear.

We're listening. Just because there will be other people worse off, doesn't mean your problems aren't important, or that you don't deserve to receive help. TheSite.org is a positive place to talk about self-harm - how it makes you feel and if there are reasons for doing it that you want to explore with others who recognise how you feel. Do go ahead and start your own thread if you'd like more people to see your message and respond. Take good care.
  • Options
    I keep having the urge to s/h. i havent done it in over a year but things are getting on top of me and i feel like i can't breath. I know that if i s/h again, i won't stop this time untill i die. i feel so shit.
  • Options
    Hey NeverEndingFall

Sounds like things are tough for you today. :heart:

Just to let you know theres people here for you on days like this. *hug*

You've done so well this year. That's a real achievement.

Phil :thumb:
  • Options
    thank you.
    I'm trying to stay strong and keep my head held high but it's getting tough at the moment. Is good to know that there are people on here that know how you feel and are willing to chat :) It has been a very hard year and i am very proud of myself. I'm not going to let myself be my worse enemy anymore.
  • Options
    My cuts hurt, i did it on tuesday coz i didn't feel here, i have DID and PTSD and depression, i was my alter that night, she's called beth. She had control and she cut me, it didn't hurt then but it bloody does now!
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    moomoo15 wrote: »
    My cuts hurt, i did it on tuesday coz i didn't feel here, i have DID and PTSD and depression, i was my alter that night, she's called beth. She had control and she cut me, it didn't hurt then but it bloody does now!

Hey Noonoo, are your cut's deep? Do you know how to look after them? Are you getting regular help for your DID and PTSD? I am sorry to hear you are struggling so much, right now I wish I could offer you more than a computer hug but *hug*'s for now x
  • Options
    Hi moomoo15 :wave:

**Angel**, some kind words there.

There are some 'self help' resoruces on the on the Self Harm section of the site. It will give you info on first aid as well as advice on scarring and treatments.

Stay strong. :thumb:

:heart:
  • Options
    they're fairly bad and in an extremely uncomfortable place, told a teacher today coz she wanted me to take my jumper off in pe, had to go to head of ks4 but luckily she just told the councellor who already knew i was desperate to do it. Yes i see Camhs twice a week and 2 councellors xx thanks angel xx