Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm really scared.
    *hug* why?
    I'm really worried about service cuts in my area and benefits cuts. They are cutting a third of hospital bed (psychiatric beds) in the hospitals where I've been inpatient in crisis in the past. At the moment I am under a Personaility Disorder Unit and they are cutting my group - I wasn't due to leave until December but now I have to leave next month. Also there are major benefits cuts coming, especially housing benefit, that are going to affect me badly. Been reading about it tonight, now I feel in despair and I want to overdose.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I'm really worried about service cuts in my area and benefits cuts. They are cutting a third of hospital bed (psychiatric beds) in the hospitals where I've been inpatient in crisis in the past. At the moment I am under a Personaility Disorder Unit and they are cutting my group - I wasn't due to leave until December but now I have to leave next month. Also there are major benefits cuts coming, especially housing benefit, that are going to affect me badly. Been reading about it tonight, now I feel in despair and I want to overdose.

Me too. I almost wish I hadn't come to Oxford because I feel like there's no guarantee the service I'm on the waiting list for will still be there when I get back to London and I can't even get hold of them.
    I'm feeling crap again. Recently I have been feeling more and more like this and I don't know why. I feel like I really want to cut, but there is a very small voice telling me not too. So I haven't yet, but this voice is getting quieter.

I just want to feel normal. Instead I think I'm getting slowly worse :(
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I'm feeling crap again. Recently I have been feeling more and more like this and I don't know why. I feel like I really want to cut, but there is a very small voice telling me not too. So I haven't yet, but this voice is getting quieter.

I just want to feel normal. Instead I think I'm getting slowly worse :(
    *hug*
    I cut today :(

I felt better at first, but now I feel worse.
    Why did you cut? *hug*
    Here if you need to talk about whats happening for you! x
    I'm not okay.
    I'm not okay.
    *hug* what's wrong honey?
    *hug* what's wrong honey?

Just feeling really bad and suicidal. Randomboy is away for the weekend which I find really difficult to cope with, I'm very dependant on him. I really feel like taking an overdose. Last night I took a couple of Valium that were RB's, he accidently left them behind, I hope he's not too angry that I took them as he doesn't have very many. I phoned my mum last night and I'm going to go stay with her tonight as I just don't think I'm safe to be alone at the moment.

Thanks for the hugs.
    -
    BANG BANG BANG. Fuck, does the ground hurt.
    Why does this go over and over. i don't know how else to put it.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    BANG BANG BANG. Fuck, does the ground hurt.
    Why does this go over and over. i don't know how else to put it.

Are you ok brunettebarbie? *hug*
    I just don't think I'm safe to be alone at the moment.

How are you feeling this week Randomgirl? Hope things are looking up a bit now Randomboy is back *hug*
    LauraO wrote: »

How are you feeling this week Randomgirl? Hope things are looking up a bit now Randomboy is back *hug*

To be honest I'm struggling. I cut my self a lot last night and did other self harm too. He's back which is good so I'm not suicidal anymore though which is a good thing. I saw my therapist this week which was good and I had therapy group today which was good too - I'm really going to miss them when they are cut (next month).
    Every morning I wake up the thought of knowing I am still alive scares me, the stains of blood on the bed sheet that have leaked over night from my cuts shows how much I hate life, why am I constantly hurting!

:banghead:
    If only, for one day I could hide behind a smile, all day without showing no emotion may have made things easier in life.

Just need to be able to run the race home, had a panic attack last night, it was so scary, I was hearing all these voices in my head, my dad was their when it happened he layed me down on the couch, it went all so ast it was scary, the voices are hurting me more :crying: I'm useless a useless piece of junk!
    I was with a girl for a while who had depression, she self harmed 2 times over 4 months, but also had her antidepressants increased. I think she only did it when things had got particularly bad and she had been drinking (so i guess the alcohol unbalanced her antidepressants)
    She had no memory of doing it, she told me she felt silly once about it.
    I remember feeling so helpless, how do you save someone from their own thoughts?
    I think i'v only realized now how that actually made me feel, I was crazy about this girl. I wanted to just shake her and tell her off, and then other times I just wanted to help her, protect her.
    But I could do neither, because either it wasn't my place (i knew nothing about depression then, it's only now with my own depression now I understand some of the things she did) Or it wasn't possible.
    I wish I had found a site like this to see peoples stories and perhaps get some advice for me and her.
    Every morning I wake up the thought of knowing I am still alive scares me, the stains of blood on the bed sheet that have leaked over night from my cuts shows how much I hate life, why am I constantly hurting!

:banghead:
    If only, for one day I could hide behind a smile, all day without showing no emotion may have made things easier in life.

Just need to be able to run the race home, had a panic attack last night, it was so scary, I was hearing all these voices in my head, my dad was their when it happened he layed me down on the couch, it went all so ast it was scary, the voices are hurting me more :crying: I'm useless a useless piece of junk!

Hey Cupcake,

How you doing today? You know the boards pretty well, so you know that we are here if you want to chat more about the cuts, panic attacks, hearing voices, what happened with Dad.... do you get any professional support at the moment? (GP, mental health services etc). Take care :)
    I was with a girl for a while who had depression, she self harmed 2 times over 4 months, but also had her antidepressants increased. I think she only did it when things had got particularly bad and she had been drinking (so i guess the alcohol unbalanced her antidepressants)
    She had no memory of doing it, she told me she felt silly once about it.
    I remember feeling so helpless, how do you save someone from their own thoughts?
    I think i'v only realized now how that actually made me feel, I was crazy about this girl. I wanted to just shake her and tell her off, and then other times I just wanted to help her, protect her.
    But I could do neither, because either it wasn't my place (i knew nothing about depression then, it's only now with my own depression now I understand some of the things she did) Or it wasn't possible.
    I wish I had found a site like this to see peoples stories and perhaps get some advice for me and her.

Hey Owen, good to see you posting on here and also that you have found the site now, particularly as you are working through your own issues at the moment. You are very welcome on the boards and the community here - so make yourself at home. I can see you've already posted about meds and got some great responses, so keep it up and keep posting. You're doing really well to be accessing support from your GP and coming here for advice too. :thumb:

Take care :)
    i'm getting images of self harm in my head constantly all week and i'm not depressed or anxious, just a bit tired from work, does anyone else get this? It's not a fully fledged urge, but a constant annoyance, like someone egging me on all day. ugh.
    i think i get something similar yeah, but not with self-harm, more... suicide? I wouldn't do it, but every time I walk over a certain bridge I think "I wonder what would happen if I jumped?", the same with trains arriving at stations. Glad to see it's not just me, you're not alone!

(I'm not feeling too bad at the moment either, life's ok!)
    Harry23 wrote: »
    Hey Cupcake,

How you doing today? You know the boards pretty well, so you know that we are here if you want to chat more about the cuts, panic attacks, hearing voices, what happened with Dad.... do you get any professional support at the moment? (GP, mental health services etc). Take care :)
    Things with dad didn't go to well, he say's I'm mad or turning in to my mad Auntie everyone hates (Seriously hates) Mum says when she was young she used to self harm think about suicide and her husband dumped her straight away when he had the chance, now she's struggling to find work and friends don't really wanna turn out like that, I'm still scared of my dad, guess I haveto face him sooner or later, just can't seriously do this no more. *Sigh* What to do, one of my cuts have gone a funny colour compared to the rest', its on the bottom side of my arm and kills more than the others, applting pressure on the cuts because their still bleeding, going to get tested to see if I have further emottional mental health problems, which I don't want the out come to be yes I do, I dunno....I'm in couselling seeing Paul, physciatris on Tuesday again, don't really want to see him for some reason!
    I'm not quiet sure what gunna happen from here!
    i think i get something similar yeah, but not with self-harm, more... suicide? I wouldn't do it, but every time I walk over a certain bridge I think "I wonder what would happen if I jumped?", the same with trains arriving at stations. Glad to see it's not just me, you're not alone!

(I'm not feeling too bad at the moment either, life's ok!)

ahh i guess it's just like, learned behaviour/response then. i'm glad i'm not alone :)
    The 'thoughts' are back, and now all I can think about is suicide.

I'm a sorry excuse for a human being and I don't deserve to be here.
    Hmm.

Hello,

I have been self harming for half a year now. To the extent of being hospital bound. I have recently stopped, my last cut was the 15th of March and I am struggling not to relapse.

I have quit smoking very recently, and I am trying not to harm myself so much - every day is a struggle for me to keep living, the only reason why I bother is because of my girlfriend and mother. Everyone else, I couldn't give a damn about to be honest.

I keep having bad times like earlier today, I haven't taken my Anti-Depressants "Citalopram 20MG" in well over a week, and have 2 months worth stockpiled in a jar along with a lot of asprin and paracetamol. I typed out my will earlier today and I don't know why.

My social worker had a medic sit in on our session two weeks ago. I was told there is nothing majour wrong with me. I've taken this as I am stupid and the medic is telling me to stop being a whiney little sod, therefore on my next session (Thursday) I'm going to put on my front, act like nothing is wrong and the world is my oyster for the hour long session.

I want to be taken out of the Mental Health Services, they are not helping me at all - I do not want to be stuck in useless councelling - i've been there, done that got the T-Shirt.

I do not want to self harm again - but I am struggling SO MUCH! I've started eating less and less. My appetite is shrinking considerably - but what is worrying me is my BMI is going UP! I'm eating less but my BMI has gone from low 24 to high 25 overnight. I feel extremely fat.

I find myself sleeping as much as possible now. Things tend to not go wrong if I am unconscious. The less time I am alert, the less time I think about damaging myself. If I am not kept busy by work or sleep - I will be fighting this constant struggle.

Just needed to vent before I explode.
    Jay
    Welcome Skank ( :p )
    my last cut was the 15th of March and I am struggling not to relapse.

This is good and something you should be proud of. It's not easy and you should take every day as it comes, but this is good.
    the only reason why I bother is because of my girlfriend and mother.

You should keep this at the front of your mind because clearly these people mean a lot to you. I would assume that they love you and that should be enough for you to keep from acting on some of your thoughts.
    I haven't taken my Anti-Depressants "Citalopram 20MG" in well over a week, and have 2 months worth stockpiled in a jar along with a lot of asprin and paracetamol. I typed out my will earlier today and I don't know why.

You do know why but you might be struggling to to admit it to yourself. Stockpiling your SSRIs won't help you, they are prescribed for a reason. When you are a little clear of thought then I would recommend that you dispose of the asparin and paracetomol. Contrary to popular though that really isn't a painless or pleasant way to go anyway...
    I want to be taken out of the Mental Health Services, they are not helping me at all - I do not want to be stuck in useless councelling - i've been there, done that got the T-Shirt.

You can always discharge yourself if you aren't finding it useful
    My appetite is shrinking considerably - but what is worrying me is my BMI is going UP! I'm eating less but my BMI has gone from low 24 to high 25 overnight. I feel extremely fat.

BMI of 25 is just on the border line of average/overweight so I doubt that you are "fat". However, if your aren't eating much then for a while your body will go into starvation mode and, for a while, will store fat. This will especially be true if you are skipping the occasional meal. Best advice here is to eat little and often until your appetite returns.
    I find myself sleeping as much as possible now. Things tend to not go wrong if I am unconscious.

This is a standard response to stress and anxiety, trust me you are not alone in that.

Good luck.
    On the subject of sleep and depression, some (as I've found in the past) find that all they want to do is sleep. Some can't sleep at all. (insomnia) I know when I was having problems last year, when it all started, I didn't sleep at all. I ended up going to uni (only for one hour, thankfully) having only slept for 2 hours. I then came home, slept for a few more hours and then got woken up by a hallmate.

I am roughly 10 months free of all types of self harm.:yippe:
    I was told there is nothing majour wrong with me

How honest were you? That's the issue I had - I was never honest about what happened. Yes, I did (eventually) admit that maybe I do have depression; but never admitted the extent of what was going on.
    Here Goes...
    This is good and something you should be proud of. It's not easy and you should take every day as it comes, but this is good.
    I am glad I am not damaging my body, as it does tear my girlfriend up. But i'm missing it and I probably always will.
    You should keep this at the front of your mind because clearly these people mean a lot to you. I would assume that they love you and that should be enough for you to keep from acting on some of your thoughts.
    They do mean EVERYTHING to me, and what they think of me really matters. My mother doesn't know I self harm let alone attend the mental health services, whereas my girlfriend knows most things - just not a small portion of my brain where everything ticks away like a time bomb.
    You do know why but you might be struggling to to admit it to yourself. Stockpiling your SSRIs won't help you, they are prescribed for a reason. When you are a little clear of thought then I would recommend that you dispose of the asparin and paracetomol. Contrary to popular though that really isn't a painless or pleasant way to go anyway...
    SSRI's? Pain doesn't really phase me anymore, not since going into hospital numb to the world with a very large chunk taken out of my arm :/
    You can always discharge yourself if you aren't finding it useful
    Part of me hopes they will change what they have said, and actually give me the help I have been asking for. I don't even want help - I think they are all useless, but my friend told me to stick at it and keep on trying. I'm running out of reasons to try.
    BMI of 25 is just on the border line of average/overweight so I doubt that you are "fat". However, if your aren't eating much then for a while your body will go into starvation mode and, for a while, will store fat. This will especially be true if you are skipping the occasional meal. Best advice here is to eat little and often until your appetite returns.
    I've always felt fat. In P.E at school when everyone had to change - I always noticed how I seemed to have a bigger belly than everyone else - I'm 6' 2'' so technically with a BMI of 24/25 I should be "lanky". I've had hundreds of people tell me "I'm not fat" but I can't believe them because when I look in the mirror I am disgusted.
    This is a standard response to stress and anxiety, trust me you are not alone in that.
    Apparently, I don't suffer from anxiety. My "fictitious" (Quote from Medic) panic attacks seem to think otherwise.
    Melian wrote: »
    I am roughly 10 months free of all types of self harm.:yippe:
    Congratulations! That is a great achievement.
    Melian wrote: »
    How honest were you? That's the issue I had - I was never honest about what happened. Yes, I did (eventually) admit that maybe I do have depression; but never admitted the extent of what was going on.
    I hold back a lot. Not on purpose, but more and more gets revealed each time about my past. The only thing my social worker has said that I agree with is that I have had an extremely traumatic past.
    Police there again. oh and again :(
    it's sad but, even more sad that i was the last to post on this thread. I feel so indeciceive and with no feeling. I am very worried this is all getting out of hand again- being followed and all that. I saw them again today when i was trying to complete day-to-day tasks- SIMPLE tasks but they come and ruin it, put me more on edge. Eat as i do, walk as i do. I feel really lonely and feel like self-harming. it's been a while 8-10 weeks ago i believe? i don't even feel able to write alot down, even if it was just for myself to read. i'm scared they'll get hold of the information or just incase the bit of paper im writing on gets lost. To top it off, i have to see one of the people spying on behalf of the KGB this wednesday, possibly for an hour, possibly for hours more. I can't manage all of this.