Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really sorry you can't let go of any of it marineblue
    If you can face the job of writing it again, you might find you can get some support from others here.

Take care :wave:
  • Options
    i know how it feels. I self harm too and ive tryed to commit sudical 3 times now and i feel like no one cares about me and i want to be dead but people dont really care how i feel and how i am coping how. Im going though hell right now which wants me make me wanna kill myself. How can i like let poeple know how im feeling and how i am coping any idea's
  • Options
    marineblue wrote: »
    I just wrote a whole fucking post here of stuff i needed to get out of my head only for my internet to fucking disconnect and lose it. Like fuck i'm going to attempt to write that out all again, so looks like i've failed at getting any of it out at all. FFS.

If you ever feel like you are going to write a long and what could be important post for yourself, I always found that if I really wanted to make sure I got my thoughts out there then I typed out the post in a word document or notepad etc, and then copied and pasted it into thesite.

This way if you really think you want to talk about what has been going on, then its an extra little trick to help avoid unfortunate but unavoidable internet issues.

:)
  • Options
    I'm feeling depressed :(
  • Options
    *hug*
    I'm feeling a tad down too, and I am doing so well.
  • Options
    Cguinchard wrote: »
    i know how it feels. I self harm too and ive tryed to commit sudical 3 times now and i feel like no one cares about me and i want to be dead but people dont really care how i feel and how i am coping how. Im going though hell right now which wants me make me wanna kill myself. How can i like let poeple know how im feeling and how i am coping any idea's

Hi Cguinchard,

Wanted to welcome to you to Thesite, this is a safe and supportive place to explore how you are feeling. People in this community want to help and support each other and do care about how you are feeling, so do keep posting. If you feel able, perhaps share a bit about what is going on for you, you could even start you own thread? You may have seen already, but there are very good information pages on self harm and suicidal thoughts, these may help you? You could also try talking to someone at a helpline - these people are not related to you or part of you life, so can make it easier to open up?

Take care :)
  • Options
    Hi Purpledhaze and Randomgirl,

Hope you are both feeling a bit better this evening. Take care :)
  • Options
    I'm not good still. I've just been self-harming again and feeling really low. I went to the GP today and she is refering me to a new psychiatrist to sort out my medication and stuff. I didn't make it in to my voluntary work yesterday, I just couldn't face it.
  • Options
    I started sh again. I feel nothing, completely empty. Apart from some sudden and random bursts of tearyness, I feel completely numb. So yeah, I started self harming again. I guess I just wanted to feel something for once. I cant even seem to find enough emotion to have an opinion on it. Oh well. Sorry for waisting a post.
  • Options
    I started sh again. I feel nothing, completely empty. Apart from some sudden and random bursts of tearyness, I feel completely numb. So yeah, I started self harming again. I guess I just wanted to feel something for once. I cant even seem to find enough emotion to have an opinion on it. Oh well. Sorry for waisting a post.
    Hey you didn't waste a post. I understand how you are feeling but there are alternatives to it, just feeling that tiny bit of pain instead of cutting, have you tried a elastic band around your arm? It would hurt, have you through about putting ice on your arm and leaving it for a while to numb it so it doesn't believe but may still hurt. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling lke this *hug*
    Katie
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more miserable I am that I'm going to have to be in Braintree for another nine months.

It's not even that I'd have to live with my mum, because it's possible that I can get a flat to live in by myself, which would be WONDERFUL. It's more that my mum doesn't want me doing my CBT and since I'm going to be working with her, I won't have much choice but to not carry on with it, because there's no way she would let me out of here to go to it.

Also because Braintree is a right shithole and I have like no friends here and I hate it. Minimum of an hour to see anybody I'd be remotely interested in seeing. More like two if we take out the one person who is convenient enough to live in the centre of London.

Sigh :(.

Also, I keep having to skip days on my crazypills because I can't afford any more til NYE. YAAAAY :(.
  • Options
    I can’t do it. I hurt and it won’t stop hurting. I want it to go away and I don’t know how and I want it all to stop. I don’t know how to be a person anymore. There are too many what ifs and I can’t make sense of anything. I can’t do it.
  • Options
    hi first time here and i dont quite know what to say but i'll give it a go:

i try. i try to stop cutting. i've tried about 5 times but i fail. because thats all i am, a failure. i dont know if i can try again. its been over a year of me self harming and im 14 years old. i've tried to kill myself and its all because of bullying at school that's been happening for two years. the child protection officer at school knows about it, she found out on two seperate occasions but she doesnt even believe i've done all this just because of the bullying. she knews it by 10 boys a year older than me and its been going on for two years, since i was in year 7 but she doesnt believe i'd do this just because of that :crying: . but she deosnt know the half of what they've done. she doesnt understand and treats me like i'm 5 years old. its so annoying

but well yeah thanks for reading and sorry about the rant xx
  • Options
    katypatatykatypataty Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Hi ghostlife :wave:

You don't need to apoligise for posting a rant, this is exactly what we're here for.*hug*

So sorry that you're having such a difficult time. You are definitely not a failure and there are people that can help you.

Firstly, here's a link to a section of TheSite.org which can point you in the right direction of people you can call about bullying which no-one deserves to be a victim of...under any circumstances.
    http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/wellbeing/lookingafteryourself/beatbullying

There is also a special self-harm section of TheSite.org, which offers lots of practical advice and support. Again, there is lots of help available so that you don't need to suffer in silence. http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm.

You can always text or call The Samaritans http://www.samaritans.org/ too.

Just remember that we are always here to listen to you so please come back whenever you need.

Take Care :)

xx
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    crazypills

i wish you wouldn't say things like that.
  • Options
    ghostlife wrote: »
    i try. i try to stop cutting. i've tried about 5 times but i fail. because thats all i am, a failure. i dont know if i can try again. its been over a year of me self harming and im 14 years old. i've tried to kill myself and its all because of bullying at school that's been happening for two years. the child protection officer at school knows about it, she found out on two seperate occasions but she doesnt even believe i've done all this just because of the bullying. she knews it by 10 boys a year older than me and its been going on for two years, since i was in year 7 but she doesnt believe i'd do this just because of that :crying: . but she deosnt know the half of what they've done. she doesnt understand and treats me like i'm 5 years old. its so annoying

it's hard to stop cutting. it takes a lot of willpower and strength and if you use it to help you cope with the pain you are feeling then you need something more positive to replace it with, otherwise by trying to stop you are just creating a void in yourself where a coping mechanism used to be.

what do you enjoy in life? what makes you happy? think of little treats for yourself (mine is huge bubble baths) that you can use when you feel sad, instead of cutting yourself. other people might be hurting you, but you hurting yourself as well won't make it better. it might seem like the only option but there are other ways of dealing with how you feel.

do you speak to anyone at home about how you feel or just this teacher? try not to keep your feelings to yourself, let people in to help you.
    take care
    x
  • Options
    heya

well seeing as we've just had Christmas i was thinking of maybe I might get a box and wrap the things i use to cut with in a load of cellotape then put it in the box then cover it with a load of chocolate and stuff so if i go to try and self harm i'll be faced with a load of treats. Don't know if it'll work but it's got to be worth a try?

I sometimes speak to my friends but very rarely anyone at home, i like talking about all this to my mum. I have a school counsellor that i see, but i dont really go into how i'm feeling and i have a counsellor i see outside of school but i've only seen her once so far. I dont find it easy to express myself when i talk, even my friends have said i express myself better in text or writing things down.

Thanks for reading :)
    ghostlife xx
  • Options
    heya

well seeing as we've just had Christmas i was thinking of maybe I might get a box and wrap the things i use to cut with in a load of cellotape then put it in the box then cover it with a load of chocolate and stuff so if i go to try and self harm i'll be faced with a load of treats. Don't know if it'll work but it's got to be worth a try?

I sometimes speak to my friends but very rarely anyone at home, i like talking about all this to my mum. I have a school counsellor that i see, but i dont really go into how i'm feeling and i have a counsellor i see outside of school but i've only seen her once so far. I dont find it easy to express myself when i talk, even my friends have said i express myself better in text or writing things down.

Thanks for reading :)
    ghostlife xx

i think that's quite a good idea... do you feel strong enough to throw away the things you use though? then instead of having them at the bottom of the box you could just have a box of treats for when you feel down. if you don't feel ready for that then maybe it could be something to think about working towards?

it's definitely really hard to talk about how you feel sometimes but it's good that you can write it down, have you thought about writing down how you feel and then giving what you have written to one of your counsellors? that way they could advise you without you having to explain. do you have any other ways you like to express yourself, maybe painting or drawing?
  • Options
    I was really determained to stop at the beginning of the school year and even gave the things i use to cut wiv to my Deputy Head of Year. It was my best one and all. But as soon as i gave it to her i felt even worse. I'm not strong enough to give my stuff up. I'm not as bad as i was before. I use to always make sure i was carrying a compass on me. I wouldnt do anything whilst i was out and rarely do anything at school but i felt better knowing i had it on me. I manage to go without having it on me now.

I'm not good at drawing or painting so i wont be much good doing that. I never know how to draw how i feel. And i dont trust my counsellors enough yet to write down in depth how i feel, and i dont want it to get passed on at all.

Thank you for helping me, it really means a lot
    xx
  • Options
    that's understandable. it sounds like you are making progress and not carrying anything with you is a huge step. it shows that even if you don't feel that you can stop now you are moving in the right direction.

i just wanted to point out that your counsellors cannot pass on anything you tell them, unless they think you are in danger. you can tell them how you feel and they won't tell anyone. i know it's hard to start trusting them with your thoughts but it is safe to, when you feel ready. x
  • Options
    I've tried to understand why people SH and have these thoughts it seems impossible to know. JC, I didn't think it would be that hard to know!!
  • Options
    thank you omg hi. the main reason i dont think i trust the counsellor with how i'm feeling on paper is because i wrote down how i was feeling to my form tutor and she passed it on to the child protection officer. I know she had to because of the s/h and attempted suicide but it's kinda put me off cause the child protection officer then showed it to my parents which i didnt want. So that has kinda put me off a bit.

Violet- i think unless you self harm yourself it's hard to fully understand.
    Self harm sends good endorphins to your brain so it makes you feel good, a bit like exercise can. So when you feel bad self harming is a way to make u feel better and makes you feel like you can cope with your problems. Hope this has helped a little

ghostlife xx
  • Options
    thank you omg hi. the main reason i dont think i trust the counsellor with how i'm feeling on paper is because i wrote down how i was feeling to my form tutor and she passed it on to the child protection officer. I know she had to because of the s/h and attempted suicide but it's kinda put me off cause the child protection officer then showed it to my parents which i didnt want. So that has kinda put me off a bit.

Violet- i think unless you self harm yourself it's hard to fully understand.
    Self harm sends good endorphins to your brain so it makes you feel good, a bit like exercise can. So when you feel bad self harming is a way to make u feel better and makes you feel like you can cope with your problems. Hope this has helped a little

ghostlife xx
    I used to be a self harmer, about a year ago stopped at 15 in age. How come I can't understand still?
  • Options
    It's complicated why people self harm and many people dont understand, but well done fore being able to stop xx
  • Options
    I self harmed for 4 years and it got to the point that i was sectioned in hospital for a period of time. I have now stopped self harming and i believe that these kind of websites is what keeps the hope for better days alive. Many people criticize other people and their pain, and i too agree that everyone's pain is their own. But i do not agree in telling other people what objects can be used to cause self mutilation or any other type of bodily harm. If you think that for a second, that self harming is not a big deal.. your wrong. Self harming can kill people and cause family and friends alot of pain. If you are self harming or having any other thoughts related to this, you need help!
  • Options
    i first started SH when i was 11 and stopped when i was 28. It took psycotherapy in my case to change things. its hard to understand. If you are offered support like counselling etc it can be beneficial but it isn't always easy to do, or get.
  • Options
    I would just like to say that I've been drinking and I would actually quite like to cut myself. I've had a good night with a friend, I haven't been at home alone, but I've got home and I feel awful.

What the fuck is wrong with me?
  • Options
    hugs. Sometimes i randomly feel like that. I have to kind of talk myself out of it and then i distract myself with other things. i know it isn't always that simple though.
  • Options
    I would just like to say that I've been drinking and I would actually quite like to cut myself. I've had a good night with a friend, I haven't been at home alone, but I've got home and I feel awful.

*hug*

you know where i am
    x x
  • Options

Drink makes me feel worse and makes me want to SH. I'm trying to cut down how much I drink when we go out. I find even a couple of pints tip me. Maybe you could have a few less drinks or stay round a friends the night you go out?