Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Asking men out for a date!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that men would be "put off" if someone asked them out for a date instead of them asking??

Has any girl done it? I don't think myself as shy or anything (not anymore!) but I don't think I would have the confidence to ask a guy for a drink or anything unless I knew he fancied me! :D

The question has come around because I have been recently dumped by my ex and I want to start seeing someone straight away - I am very tempted to ask this guy out for a drink (who I know fancied me, but that was over 4 months ago!) :D

What do you think!?

Comments

• Options
    I dont think they'd be put off, I reckon a bloke would be quite chuffed to be asked out by a girl! Good luck!
  • Options
    I thin most men would find being asked out an incredible turn on, espeically if it by someone who they would consider asking out themselves!

I asked my boyfriend out and he told me later he thought that was ilovely of me and he loved me all the more for it!
  • Options
    Speaking as a man (last time i looked)

WHY DO WOMEN THINK THIS?!?

I mean, we are no longer living in the victorian era, women are meant to be people with opinions, not works of art that men try to impress.

I lost my virginity to some-one that "asked", just becuase she seemed to know what she wanted and have control of her mind and surroundings. Ok, that proved a little untrue in the long run, but it gave me the right impression.

Most women (20 years old and younger) seem to feel there is a rule book some-where that no-one has shown them, and if they break the rules no one will want to speak to them again....

If you want some-thing, and its in your power to try and get that thing then WHY SHOULDN'T YOU TRY!?!

/rant
  • Options
    I'm find confidence in women very attractive and so would be pleased if a girl asked me out.

Anyone who is turned off by the idea probably doesn't like the idea of you being independent either.

Go for it.

(Besides - what have you got to lose?)
  • Options
    I asked out most of the men I've been out with - never had a complaint :D
  • Options
    KinkyRed : But how could they refuse you?
  • Options
    When I was on a work placement for college back in January I really liked one of the guys who worked there. I didn't pluck up the courage to ask him out for a drink or something until my last day there & even then I did so as I was leaving! :D

He said yes & told me after a few dates that he was very glad I had asked coz he was too shy to ask me even though he really wanted to. We were together a few months & are still mates now. :)

U have nothing to lose, I say go for it!

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Personally I would never ask a man out. If he wants to go out with me, he'll ask. Blah blah, I know I'm old-fashioned, but I like to be chased :p
  • Options
    Yes go for it!

All the girls I've been out with have ask me out, (well only 2 haven't but I was made to ask them out:nervous: )

Anyhow, I was well glad when they ask me out, I still am and was back then, chicken shit!!

maybe your guys the same!
  • Options
    I'd personally be flattered if someone asked me out. Plus, as I'm extremely shy, it'd save them waiting for me to make the first move. ;)
  • Options
    I always make the first move on men. This guy I fancied the arse off in work, I just said 'so when are you taking me out for a drink then?'

He was like 'well i'm working this weekend....'

I said, 'don't be stupid, you can meet me after. Just do it will you!'

:D

It worked too :):):):)
  • Options
    I wouldn't ask a bloke out, I would just drop hints about films I wanted to see, new bars opening, etc. That way if he didn't like me I wouldn't have to look stupid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I wouldn't ask a bloke out, I would just drop hints about films I wanted to see, new bars opening, etc. That way if he didn't like me I wouldn't have to look stupid.

Yeah, but sometimes you just got to take the risk
  • Options
    The way I see it, I am so blatantly obvious that a man would have to be thick to not tell I liked him. And if he was that slow, I wouldn't want him anyway.
  • Options
    I have always made the first move when it comes to lads. Luckily i have the confidence to go up to anyone...hmm i have no fear of rejection :D No ones ever said a bad thing about it and most of them would never have done anything if i hadnt made the first move :)
  • Options
    I initially met my girlfriend a year ago. We sat next to each other in two of our lectures, so it seemed right and friendly to chat to one another. Time passed and I grew increasingly fond of her: she had a personality second to no one; she was incredibly beautiful; she was outstandingly funny; and she was noticeably kind and considerate. We developed our friendship for about a month (not really that long), after which I asked her out several times. She refused every offer, merely because she was scared. However, she eventually asked me out, thereby indicating that the man does not necessary have to ask the woman out. We have been together for one year now, and we will undoubtedly be together forever.

If you like someone, let the friendship develop. Once sufficiently developed, and when you know that you truly like him, take the initiative and ask him out: if he fancies you, he is hardly likely to complain or refuse merely on the basis of you asking him out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty

I feel so stupid!

Is that how you girls leave hints then that you like a guy???:confused:

Oh well!
    :o
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!!!!

I might just text him and start a conversation going again and to make sure he is still available!!!

;)
  • Options
    I personally love it when a girl is forward- takes the pressure off.

It was easier I think for blokes to be forward in the say the 50s and 60s because it was expected and encouraged. Nowadays, society frowns on the aggressive male and the perfect guy is now one who's forward yet sensitive, aggresive yet tender, rich yet humble, pragmatic yet flexible, etc., etc. Well that's all well and good but it makes guys today feel a bit intimidated, (unless we have some pints down our throat! :crazyeyes ). So yeah, we like some help from the female side.

That being said, however, you guys still need to get in there and make your move! You never know whether that girl is the "one" so develop a greater fear of regret than of rejection.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    KinkyRed : But how could they refuse you?

:blush:
  • Options
    !its great when a girl does that- reflects well on her part showing her confidence
  • Options
    I'ev never asked a girl out! I don't know what it is but I would only really consider going out with someone who I really liked. Therefore I've never asked anyone out because I'm always too scared to ask the special person as I don't think I could handle the rejection :(

The girl I'm with asked me out and I'm glad she did! I said on our first date that if she hadn't have asked me I probably wouldn't have made a pass at her.

However I'm very shy and low on confidence thinking that no girl ( well.... that I liked anyway) would look twice at me :(

I wouldn't like a girl too forward though because I would think she is only after one thing and that's not the kind of girl I want to be with !

To fair, in the post I have just waffled, I'm sorry :)