Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How long after splitting up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering how long after splitting up with boyfriend should it be ideal to start dating again??

I recently split from boyfriend of 6 months, although it wasn't anything serious - I don't want to start dating or even consider dating before I'm over the ex!!

What is the reasonable time period in between??

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Different for everyone.
  • Options
    It is different for everyone.

There is no 'rule' - do what you want to do when you feel ready.

If youre over him and you like someone else don't let it hold you back. If you had been together for ten years then it might take a little more time to get over, but in general everyone has different feelings and emotions so we can't really decide for you!
  • Options
    i read somewhere that it takes half the time you were in the relationship to get over it..in your case three months..i dont know if this is a load of bollocks or not..*shrugs*....just take things at your own pace and see how you feel i guess. good luck!
  • Options
    Re: How long after splitting up?
    Originally posted by misse83
    I don't want to start dating or even consider dating before I'm over the ex!!

Then surely the right time to start dating again is when you feel that you are over your ex!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies - I think I am ready to go on dates now and its only been 4days since we split up!!! I am not one of these women that can go from one relationship to another with out a "gap inbetween" !!

:D
  • Options
    Hey! I'd go with everyone else and say wait till your ready BUT if I were you I'd start dating again straight away it would help you get over it quicker.... :)
  • Options
    I usually end up sying that I'm gonna have ages between blokes but it always turns out to be about a month. I'm not always ready for the next one but it sure as hell makes you ready quickly enough!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Its different for everyone...hmm deja vu anyone :p
  • Options
    I guess ur question is when "I will be ready to start dating some else". You will know that first, when you go to sleep and put your head on that pillow and he is not the first thought that comes on to your mind, second when you see him and u don't feel you wana just grap and get hold of him and never let go.
  • Options
    I don't know astleyfan, I heard 1/3 of the time you were with the person- and that seems about right with my experience.

But like everyone has been saying, it depends on you. . .
  • Options
    Yeah as everyone has said it all depends on u & your previous relationship. My longest ever relationship (1yr) I was with someone else within a month after splitting up but then our relationship hadn't been going good for a few months.

Another relationship I was in was for 6 months & I didn't feel ready to move on for 3 months or so.

The only problem is, sometimes u may think u are over someone & go on a date with someone else & then realise u aren't actually over the other person yet.

U will know the right time though, good luck to u! :D
  • Options
    Who knows how long it will take?

Say you split up, go out one night and bump into someone who is gorgeous, witty and you seem to get very well. What would you do? If it were me Id go for it:)

But there again it could work other way, you dont fancy anyone after splitting up because nobody can compare to you ex:)

Id say it depends a lot on how and why you broke up in the 1st place:)
  • Options
    misse, there is no set time. Why do you think there is? Is it something other people have said?
    It could take you days, months, years, to get over him, ...or it could take hours. :) It's just down to your personality, and feelings for him.
    Personally I wouldn't consider waiting any set time. You may miss an opportunity by being that blinkered. Sometimes someone new will help you get over it quicker. Somtimes it doesn't work out becuase you're on the rebound. You won't know unless you do go out with someone else.
    You said it wasn't anything serious, in which case why the worry. Get out there again!

Mr_Wobble ;)