Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What should I do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, well... I don't really know where to start, but I'll do my best.

I'm 19 years old and I've been with my g/f for about two years. I've been at university for a year, and my g/f started herself this September.
While I was away at uni, I met this really wonderful girl who I just can't get out of my mind. I practically think about her night and day :( We've never gone out. Or even flirted - in fact, I'm not even sure if she likes me like that - but she's really easy to talk to & we have a lot in common.
What makes this really difficult is that my girlfriend's mother passed away in the Summer holidays, so one part of me wants to stay with her and comfort her. But the other, perhaps more stupid part says otherwise.

What do you guys/girls think?

Thank you,

Richie

Comments

• Options
    i think the real question is do you love your girlfriend? you didnt mention this in your post - im assuming you have feelings for her since youve been with her for two years?? i mean can you see your relationship surviving?is it still working?i dont think its fair to stay with her out of sympathy but neither is it fair to leave her just because youve taken a fancy to another girl. everyone meets people they are attracted to even when they are in a relationship but if theyre serious about that relationship they dont act on that attraction- hence making it a committed relationship. ask yourself if you can make your relationship with your girlfriend work - talk to her. but obvoiusly dont mention the other girl! i dont think the other girl is really an issue though - your attraction to her may be symptomatic of a problem in your relationship?im sure you must find it quite difficult to comfort your girlfriend after her mothers death - is that an issue? im sorry im asking a lot of questions and am making random guesses here. good luck with whatever you decide to do.:)
  • Options
    Ok, it sounds to me like you've grown apart from your girlfriend over the past year since you've been at uni.

You need to forget about this other girl just for a few minutes and think about your girlfriend. If you don't love her anymore then there is no point in being with her. I assume you still care for her but if you don't think you have a future you should tell her. There is no reason why you cant be there for her as a friend regarding her moterhs death. I had a mate who was about to call it off with his gf but then she was raped and he mother diagnosed with cancer and he couldn't bring himself to do it. He cheated on her numerous times and when she found out she was far more devastated than if he had just been honest in the first place.

If you decide you don't want to be with your gf then you should do so before you make any attempt to get with this other girl,. otherwise things could get particularly messy. Never stay with someone because you think you should or because you think you owe then, things will only get worse in the long term.
  • Options
    Take it easy and think rational from your mind not your heart for a moment. 2 years is a fairly long time to be with some one. Because u r away from your g/f, ur subjected to the temptation of not wanting to be alone and thus the chances you get attracted to someother girl is always there. Being faithful to ur g/f and keeping in touch with her is your choice but you have to talk to her about what u feel. She might be subjected to the same conditions have you thought of that?