Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disband the Commonwealth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Either the Commonwealth possesses some political/economic clout, or it should cease to exist.

Since most Commonwealth nations are third world in status, they would greatly welcome the opportunity to trade freely. The heads of government of the various Commonwealth nations must come together to sign a free trade agreement.

Comments

• Options
    Can you tell me how the commonwealth restricts trade?
  • Options
    I never said it did.

The Commonwealth is a superfluous organisation without any distinct function.
  • Options
    By notoncebraincell:
    Since most Commonwealth nations are third world in status, they would greatly welcome the opportunity to trade freely.

So, I ask again, how are they prevented from doing so?
  • Options
    May I delicately enquire why you keep making pointless statements to which no-one listens?

Oh, wait. You want to be a politician.... right.....
  • Options
    I make statements because I like to speak my mind. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    I make statements because I like to speak my mind. :)

And we poke holes in those statements to show that you really don't have a mind to speak of...
  • Options
    Re: Disband the Commonwealth
    Either the Commonwealth possesses some political/economic clout, or it should cease to exist.

Hmm, yes the commonwealth could certainly be doing more to help its members. I don't think it should be disbanded, though, as it does help retain the cultural ties of the old empire. What is needed is a commonwealth that delivers more than just an athletics tournament every four years (or however long it is).

Edited to say: The prince of Wales has a forum going on this very topic on his website: http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/forum/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

And we poke holes in those statements to show that you really don't have a mind to speak of...

Well that's wrong. Since all humans have a right to express their opinions, that is what I simply do. :) :cool:
  • Options
    Having read a large majority of your contributions to threads, onenatcons, it would appear to be the case that your basic premise for discussion is to make an assertion, then, when shown to be wrong or incompatible with your previous assertions, to simply claim you were exercising your freedom of speech and expression of opinion, as if the attacks on your logic were some kind of attack on these rights. Which they aren't.

Frankly, it makes you only slightly less tedious than steelgate, solely by virtue of the fact that, on the whole, you tend to be less long-winded.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Frankly, it makes you only slightly less tedious than steelgate, solely by virtue of the fact that, on the whole, you tend to be less long-winded.

Damn! :eek:

Nothing like cutting to the chase, now is there? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei
    Having read a large majority of your contributions to threads, onenatcons, it would appear to be the case that your basic premise for discussion is to make an assertion, then, when shown to be wrong or incompatible with your previous assertions, to simply claim you were exercising your freedom of speech and expression of opinion, as if the attacks on your logic were some kind of attack on these rights. Which they aren't.

When did I say they were?

I don't make 'assertions', I make statements. In all my threads, I had simply been confronted with non-arguments and falsehoods. No one to date has seriously challenged my views. :)

As for any comparison with Steelgate, well I don't think men have ANY right to rape women and I don't subscribe to Marxist dogma. :);) :cool:
  • Options
    I don't make 'assertions', I make statements. In all my threads, I had simply been confronted with non-arguments and falsehoods. No one to date has seriously challenged my views. :)

Actually I have, but your "statements" only exist on a single level, there is no thought behind them and you can never back them up. Instead you reply with some juvenile quip and ignore the real sustance.

See the first few posts on this thread alone. You still haven't said how the countries a prevented from free trade...
    As for any comparison with Steelgate, well I don't think men have ANY right to rape women and I don't subscribe to Marxist dogma. :);) :cool:

The comparison with Steelgate is valid. You are both single level thinking morons. Perhaps a view of the real world would be useful for you both...
  • Options
    And I asked you where I stated that the Commonwealth halts free trade, yet you did not. :)

I simply said that the Commonwealth must gain some political/economic reason for being or cease to exist. Since most Commonwealth nations are third world countries, they would welcome an opportunity to trade fairly and freely with other nations. :) I also said in another thread that the EU should end subsidies to farmers and industries in general. Wouldn't that promote free trade? ;)
    Perhaps a view of the real world would be useful for you both...

My opinions are based on real world observations. :cool:
    Actually I have,

Wrong. "So, I ask again, how are they prevented from doing so?" Is that it? :D;)
  • Options
    It must be hard getting through life when you are that dim. How do you do it?

You started this thread by suggesting that the "Third World" commonwealth countries would appreciate the opportunity to trade freely. Suggesting that somehow they don't have this opportunity now.

My question is, don't they already then? Trade freely that is.

If not, what prevents them, is it the commonwealth, or is it something else?
  • Options
    You are dim because you have not fully understood the issue here!!

Tell me, why do African nations believe the EU to be hypocritical in its attitude towards President Bush's tariffs? Because they cannot trade freely with the EU!!

I never said the Commonwelath negates free trade, dimwit. I simply said that the Commonwealth must attain some political/economic reason for being or cease to exist.

Why does the Commonwealth exist anyhow? Because some middle-aged prick despairs over the lost British Empire? :rolleyes:
  • Options

I never said the Commonwelath negates free trade, dimwit. I simply said that the Commonwealth must attain some political/economic reason for being or cease to exist.

Why does the Commonwealth exist anyhow? Because some middle-aged prick despairs over the lost British Empire? :rolleyes:

You said, at the start of the debate, that the commonwealth nations should be allowed to trade freely, and you implied that the commonwealth was stopping them doing that, by saying that they could if the commonwealth was disbanded. You are the dimwit, as you cannot even comprehend what you write yourself, not even when it is explained to you by MoK!

Why must the commonwealth have=, in your eyes, a political/economic reason to exist? It already HAS a political one, just maybe not an economic one - and there is nothing to stop heads of states of current commonwealth countries from signing free trade agreements NOW if they wanted to. So, why disband hte commonwealth?
  • Options

Perhaps this is because you haven't actually explained what you mean...

Look at this...
    Tell me, why do African nations believe the EU to be hypocritical in its attitude towards President Bush's tariffs? Because they cannot trade freely with the EU!!

So, why does this mean that we need to disband the Commonwealth? The last time I looked, the only link between the two was the UK.

What the EU does as an entity is completely separate from what the UK does as a nation state and what the Commonwealth does

And I ask what relevance that was to the free trade argument you put forward. I'm not sure exactly how much you know about the commonwealth, the trade that passes between the member countries, tarrif rates which are affected by membership, the political union between the countries (who is looking at Zimbabwe, is it the UN or the Commonwealth?), in fact I wonder if you actually understood what you wrote in the first place.

It exists so that every four years, we can pretend that we have a athletic comeptition to rival the Olympics :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should do a little reading, and find that one out for yourself, rather than post from a position of ignorance (as usual). You may find that common interests form part of it.

@ nosferato, Thank you, for a while there I thought I was going mad. I'm still not sure that onefatuouscomment really understands what he was trying to say.
  • Options
    Whilst free trade between Africa and the EU would have some beneifts, it would still do little in allowing the African nations to develop to anywhere near the standard that we enjoy.

Those benefits that did exist would also be very unevenly spread and many would lose out withous strong state management.

Their are few strong or stable states within Africa I believe their will be little economic advancement until this central problem is resolved
  • Options
    Originally posted by nosferatu1000

Why must the commonwealth have=, in your eyes, a political/economic reason to exist? It already HAS a political one, just maybe not an economic one - and there is nothing to stop heads of states of current commonwealth countries from signing free trade agreements NOW if they wanted to. So, why disband hte commonwealth?

Why not disband it? What political reason DOES it have to exist? Is it a supranational body like the EU? No.