Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

P.e

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Do people here agree that you shudnt be forced to do pe in school?im not fat or anything,i just dont see the point in doing it,in our school all we do is run and play gaelic and the teacher says u do it to get exercise, i get exercise walking to and fro town and about the place and playing soccer on the street.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: P.e
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Do people here agree that you shudnt be forced to do pe in school?im not fat or anything,i just dont see the point in doing it,in our school all we do is run and play gaelic and the teacher says u do it to get exercise, i get exercise walking to and fro town and about the place and playing soccer on the street.

No, I completely disagree with you.

What you claim is sufficient exercise, in reality isn't. Consequently this needs to be built on as part of your schooling and the Govt has a responsibilty to ensure that our children are as fit as possible. Fit people stay healthier.

When you consider that the vast majority of children today don't actually take enough exercise to maintain their fitness levels, the Govt would be remiss not to make PE compulsory.

Added to that is the fact that team sports encourage the development of a team mentality, somthing which you will find you rely on later when you begin working for a living.
  • Options
    I agree completely with MOK here, as it is we are turning into a nation of lazy and unhealthy people.
  • Options
    MoK gets a third vote here.

Besides, how unfair would it be if the school went through the year group saying "your fit, do maths, your fit do maths, your fit, do maths, your unfit do PE, your fit do maths, your a fat bloater : double PE, with weights on your wrists"

it would mean the fit people get to do extra maths, and that would have really pissed me off in school (i'd have been in the unfit catagory).

Incedentally, that was a besides. I'm having it in addition to the other stated reasons, not instead of.
  • Options
    I dont think we should have to do PE at school... cause the teachers at our school are elitists (sp?) If we're crap they just leave us and yell at us cause we're stupid, and then the ones who are good, they'll help and force into sports tournements, even if they don't want to do it. They're only in the job for themselves. Damn PE teachers.
  • Options
    I hated PE at school but i did (occasionally) do it as i did recognise that it was there for my own benefit :)
  • Options
    Melissa and Mr shouty metal head ( :) )

I see your arguments, but if those arguments are followed then in schools that teach maths badly, they would no longer have to teach maths.
    In schools that teach english badly they would no longer have to teach english.

I think you will have to agree that the argument taken to this conclussion does not work.

Surely it would be more sensible to make suggestions as to how to change how its taught, rather than just saying that its cruel or pointless.

There certainly is a point, and whether or not its cruel or not depends on the teachers and methods.
  • Options
    As has already been mentioned however, is that sport leads to greater fitness and hence enhances overall wellbeing. You're right in that if it is not taught properly then the kids resent the teacher and hate P.E and any kind of participation.

In the right hands though, P.E can be valuable - it takes your mind off of mental activities and can reduce stress. It'd be a poor state of affairs if it was cut down from the curriculum or made optional. Mind you, the way this country is going, it can't be too far off...
  • Options
    I agree with Melissa about sports such as cross-country, netball, gymnastics etc. - unless this something you excel in, it should not be something everyone should be made to do.
    Lower down the school I despised PE and dreaded the day on which it was compulsory, due to my complete inadequacies at throwing myself over a box and sprinting across a field.
    However, in Year 11, the PE department realised that those who hated sports would remain unfit forever unless they were doing something that they actually enjoyed; this is why activities such as aerobics, going to a gym, bowling and basketball were introduced.
    Now, in the 6th form, we are given a choice of what we want to do. I think that because of this, students try harder and possibly enjoy what they are doing in the lessons.

(However, the first-years still have to do cross-country)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thefairmelissa
    Making young girls run around a muddy field in skimpy athletics briefs or gym skirts on a cold winter morning is tantamount to some twisted pervert´s deviant fantasies.

He, he...

But I'm not sure I like being called "twisted" ;)
    You think that school PE makes for a nation of fitter people? *makes hopeless gesture* Wrong, every time. Because let´s face it, we´ve all done PE lessons and still we´re overweight and lazy.

Now imagine how bad we would be if we hadn't done anything at all...

The rest of your post was about the actual teaching of P.E., and that is where the real problem lies, it is often seen as the unimportant part of the curriculum. But it isn't and crazysexycool gives an idea how this can be changed. The rise of aerobics has been huge and yet many schools don't reflect this in their Sports programme, relying instead on sports which require an element of skill, and not everyone is blessed with that.
  • Options

continued to torture me with extra press-ups or star jumps for coming last in races or laps around hockey fields. Not helpful or constructive.

Err.. actuall ydo enough star jump / sit-ups / press-ups (any-one else ever do pyrimids??) and you will get better at cross country running / pysical activities generally.

I see your point but i don't think that just because you don't like some-thing, or are no good at it that people should be allowed to drop from it.

I see how you're compareing it to music and art (incedentally i sucked big time at all three, being shy and these are things that single you out and make you do something that is entirely your own), and i hated them all. I still appreciate the lessons i had of them.

Again you seem to be complaining about how its taught, not whether it should be taught at all.
  • Options
    I think the difference between Pe and art / drama / music is that you can easily live into you 80's and 90's without ever studying or participating in art / music / drama .... But you certainly wont if you never do any physical exercise.

Also you need to train your bodies in certain ways when you are younger (ie still growing), otherwise you will never be able to participate in certain activities later in your life. If your muscels / tendons are under developed you greatly increase the risk of injury later, when you decide that there is actually some really fun sports you can take part in.

its like home-ed. Not many people like doing it, but it teaches you things that youo REALLY need to know.

I think things like this (PE, home ed, basic electronics) to be much more usful for people generally than things that people take for granted, such as maths (beyond basic arithmatic), molecular chemistry etc.
    Only a small proportion (25 - 33%) of people will ever use use those skills in their life, but every-one needs to know how to cook safly, fuse a circuit, take care of there bodies.