Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Is homosexuality accepted in ur area?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, alot of people say to me that homosexuals are now hugely accepted. Im gay and i really disbelieve that. We have 3 gay bars in Reading but homophobia is as high as anything. I have been attacked by a 'batty basher' and i am as stright acting as they come. i was just curious whether there is areas of the world that people know of where its not such a hated thing! :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    Don't know where mate sorry. You will always get idiots all over the world, it's a sad fact of life

My area's isn't gay friendly. I think it's got one gay bar or something but no one knows where it is (I think it's called the Cage)
  • Options
    Hi there,

I think you'll that homosexuality is alot more acceptable these days in the eyes of society. When we have celebrities such as Graham Norton, Brian Dowling, Rhona Cameron etc.. On the tv it makes us feel it's acceptable and makes life easier for gay people.

Where I live there are quite a few gays (proper camp gay too!!) and they are totally accepted. I find gay men extremely charming, intelligent and witty personally from the people I have met or know.

Are you 'Out of the closet' so to speak? (no patronising manner intended)
  • Options
    Umm... London generally, yes. My particular area, i'm not too sure about, i think generally it's ok, but there are a few rough estates where they tend to be a bit more closed minded about it. I dunno. Some close friends of ours, a gay couple, are moving up the road from us soon, so i suppose we'll know soon enough!
  • Options
    In Bristol, from what i've seen it is widely accepted. Theres a lot of gay bars/clubs, some of the smaller "straight" clubs have gay/lesbian nights etc... i should know...i accidently went to one and the atmosphere was really good!

The majority of Bristol is made up of different races,religions etc etc and most people get along and generally speaking we dont see how sexuality should be any different :)
  • Options
    yes i came out on valentines day this year. There are quite alot of camp people in Reading too and they dont seem to be discriminated. If only everyone felt like you then the world would be a nicer place. although thats never gonna happen!
  • Options
    By the way I like your quote :D
  • Options
    i have heard bristol is gay friendly and i keep meaning to go there. although there is brighton and they have Pride. gay bashers are at the upmost there and that seems to happen anywhere there is a gay scene-maybe because the homophobic race dont like all the attention gay people get.
  • Options
    thank you mistress - hmm remind me not to say them 3 words like that again!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ybthesame
    i have heard bristol is gay friendly and i keep meaning to go there. although there is brighton and they have Pride. gay bashers are at the upmost there and that seems to happen anywhere there is a gay scene-maybe because the homophobic race dont like all the attention gay people get.

Bristol is yeah. I've seen "straight" (well i assume they are) peeps walking past the gay clubs and that an its just normal. I've never heard any homophobic abuse being shouted out whenever ive been downtown. I think its quite a good place in that respect.
  • Options
    I dont think youll find anywhere where it is 100% accepted. youll always get narrowminded people wherever you go. I havent got a problem with it, nor do most people I know, but then again i do know a few people who dont like the idea. but thats their loss if they want to lead a prejudiced life
  • Options
    its okay up here really. i aint got nefink against gay ppl me and my mates think they are ded funny! and most of em ave wkd personalities
  • Options
    In London id say its a mixture. Opinions can depend on which area you live in and how you have been brought up. Most of the people i know are not homophobic. I personally have a few gay friends and sometimes go to gay clubs and bars as they have great atmospheres. I am bi though :):D Its a shame quite a few people are so narrow minded...
  • Options
    small town + no diversity = red neck village

people are very close minded here
  • Options
    I'm bi too! Don't need to answer ur question ybthesame for obvious reasons.:) Hugz.Xx
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I dunno. I suppose I should, being gay and all, but I really don't have a clue.

There's certainly a large minority of gay and openly bi peeps on the island and I know that my school mates in general are great about it - I can only hope their families feel the same (as that would mean a majority of islanders were gay friendly).

However, I have noticed some giving me looks - if I'm dancing with a guy or even for drinking alcopops :mad:, I just try to ignore it - it's their choice not to get to know this wonderful person. ;)

*dissapears with a poof ;)*
  • Options
    I think no matter where you live there will always be somebody who disagrees with it.
    I think it is a lot more acceptable now than it ever used to be. A lot more people are "coming out", Some years ago you hardly heard of anyone being gay but I suppose there were lots about but kept it quiet for any repercussions (sp) they might get. Only recently I heard of house windows getting smashed, " Lesbians" spray painted on the door etc.
    I personally dont have a problem, I know gay couples and get on very well with them.
  • Options
    More young people are gay friendly nowadays, mainly because people in general are defiantely more sexually liberated.

The area where I live is very homophobic, but where I go college in Chatham is the gay capital of Kent as far as I'm concerned. Not that many seem to care, apart from a few macho-posturing little boys...

My opinion is that you can't help who you fall in love with, male or female. And as far as what you get up to in the bedroom, who cares as long as the two (or three or four! etc) people are consenting, and it doesn't involve children or animals.

Always worry about homophobes though - why are they care how people have sex? I'd be more worried about their own sexual obsessions, than that of a few harmless queens... ;)
  • Options
    In cities yes it is accepted but anywhere else no its not accepted!

Its a sad state of affairs, but even I get abuse from people who think I am gay just because of the clothes I wear!

I think its becoming worse than better being honest, but hey thats life!
  • Options
    Birmingham- depends where you are. If you are down Hurst Street (where most of the gay bars and clubs are), then no one would say anything, but the rest of town you would probably get comments, or at least looks. There's a lot of fraggly blokes in Brum, you know, rainbow shirt types who get off on insulting anyone different to them.
  • Options
    its generally not a problem in glasgow but it does depend on what area youre in :( i live just outside of glasgow and although homosexuality is accepted i wouldnt say its widely accepted - there is still a lot of prejudice i personally dont have a problem with it but a few of my male friends do:(
  • Options
    well, my area is alright believe it or not

we don't have any gay clubs that i know of but TJ's is where most peole just go anyway. it's a rock club but with an anything goes attitude

i have a lot of gay/lesbian/bi friends so it's pretty kool :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wuckFit

Its a sad state of affairs, but even I get abuse from people who think I am gay just because of the clothes I wear!

Yup same here, even though I'm about 70/30 straight.

The clothes I wear, the alcopops, the music, they even pick up on my fecking haircut :mad:

But sod it, I don't care :)