Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Which would you choose?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What would you do if your family and friends disapproved of your partner.

Would you leave your partner?

Or would you risk it?

What would you do, if you had to choose?

:confused:

Just wondering. ta.

Comments

• Options
    I would Follow my heart!

:)
  • Options
    I'd risk it. Its none of their business really. I'm big enough to make my own decisions.
  • Options
    I'm with Barbie here definately - my life - my business - more importantly, my heart...
  • Options
    Yeah, i agree. If you are old enough to have a relationship with someone, then you are most cetainly old enough to make the decision of who you want to date.
  • Options
    Depends how much i liked the lad, if my family and freinds asked me to leave my boyf now i wouldnt be able to but i wouldnt wana lose them! Probably try and make a compromise :)
  • Options
    Hi every one I'm new here so I hope you don't mind a newbie posting on this.

In answer to your question I would follow my heart but I would be upset if my family didn't like him.
  • Options
    im a newb as well, but IMHO:

it's always good to follow your heart, as its brilliant to be with who you really love, and who, when you touch their soft skin, your heart beats hundred times faster, and your face flushes with endorphines and you almost OD on love. but the thing is, i hate to say it, but if you listen to them, 99/100 they have a good point. I mean, mohaba ni toga, or in english, love is blind. So you wont see all the flaws and things necessarily. Like, when they are flirting with other people, or being possesive, it is easy to ignore it. Try to look at both sides of the argument. I mean, it takes a lot of strength to stand up to your family, or to dump someone you love, even if they aren't right for you. As far as i know, love is a chemical imbalance, which causes us to go crazy. But we are all a little crazy anyway....
  • Options
    I think it'd depend on their reasons for not liking him, if it was something petty that I knew they'd get over then I'd ingore them but if it was a major thing....
    Also it'd depend on how serious the relationship was, I wouldn't fall out with my family and risk never speaking to them over someone I'd only just met.
    Dont think you can say for sure unless you go thru it!
  • Options
    I think I'd tend to steer away from those who were trying to make decisions for me, if it was just that they didn't like him, I'd try to compromise and stay onside with everyone, but if they were meddling and trying to force unwanted changes in my life then they would lose me
  • Options
    It would depend why my family didn't like him. It would be unusual for both my parents not to like someone because they have such different personalities.

I would want my parents to tell me why they didn't like him. To be honest I would consider their judgement. Some people might argue that your family doesn't see the real person, but you yourself could be blined by love - love is blind after all!

I would follow my heart but I would always be concious of what they thought so I would deeply consider their motives for not liking him.
  • Options
    It would depend on why my family didn't like him. Mind you, knowing myself as I do, I'd say that I would have to be extremely into the guy to even consider choosing him over my family. I'd ask my parents for reasons for their disapproval, then weigh my options carefully.

But then again, that's just me :)
  • Options
    i would probably stay with my partner - im stubborn that way. the more they said they disapproved the more determined i would get. my mum knows this and thats what happened with my sister my mum tried to keep her away from him and she ended up having a baby with him and getting engaged! my mum was perfectly right to disapprove but the more she showed it the more determined my sister became. the guy is bad news but my sister just wont listen. this is a hard qu because for myself id stay with them but as a sister i can see why my family disapprove of this guy - we just want to protect her- but she cant see that.:(
  • Options
    I would say sod them, and stick with my partner.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    as said before-id stay with my bf and if my family dont like it then shove em!
  • Options
    Stay with him

I'd stay with him, its up to your family and friends to respect your decision, so let them get on and deal with it.:)