Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

CopyCats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my mates is REALLY beginning to get on my tits. Well, actually its been happening ever since ive known him (since i was 14). He just copys whatever I do, heres a list of things as examples through the years:

Whenever I buy things like clothes or computer stuff or ANYTHING, he will buy the EXACT same thing. I wouldnt be bothered if it was a different make/model/colour but its exactly the same. Once I got my hair cut and the very next day he had the same type, even though his style of hair before was completely different. Same computer, camera, CAR even! (at least the colour is different).

It gets worse......

he chose the exact same course as the one I wanted to do and whenever I make friends he always trys to latch on to them aswell. Ive just started a job and Ive heard that hes picked up an application form for the exact same place!! That is really pathetic I think and at times im beginning to feel like im being stalked. The thing is I dunno what to do, ive tried 100s of times to get rid of him but he then goes to pathetic lengths to stay friends and ive never had the heart to completely get shod of him (people keep telling me to though)

What should i do about it, does anyone else feel the same happening/happened to them?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Try having a nice friendly talk with him, dont get angry, explainto him that although it is flattering being liked by him, it can be slightly annoying when he copies everything.

He probably sees you as a great mate or someone special - thus why he feels he should copy you, and follow what you do.

Explain to him that clothes (maybe not so much in men) CDs Games etc he can borrow off you thus saving money/or he could buy something different and you can both swap.

Explain to him how you feel he may not understand :)
  • Options
    I had a similar problem with my best mate about two years ago. She would copy all the clothes i bought, the lads i fancied, the way i did my hair, you know, the usual. :rolleyes:

It seems stupid but i never really noticed until some of my friends started commenting on it.
    I naturally got a bit peeved off after a while, but in the end i took it as a compliment. I mean copying is soposed to be the best form of flattery so i saw it was a compliment. :)

Eventually it fizzled out which was a relief, so don't worry, in time this little 'phase' will just fade out. :)

Feel flattered that your friend admires you enough to copy you,but if it's getting a bit much then i would just explain to him how you feel.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    It would be funny if the poster was female hehehe
  • Options
    Just tell him that if you both look alike it will make you look like a couple of freaks, and that women will run from you. Maybe offer him advice on what to wear, drive, buy etc. Say that he shouldn't of got that jumper/trainers coz it doesnt suit him. He probably does look at you and think what a cool person you are and how he would love to be that cool, don't touch on the "your copying me" thing, just on the "that doesnt suit you like it suits me" thing. Re-style the fucker....go out on the pull together. If he really is a social retard then tell him how its got to be if he wants to stay your friend.

He might possibly be in love with you....:eek: is that a possibility?
  • Options
    Sounds like a nightmare! Imagine buying the same car as well!

Well, all you can do is talk to him innit?

God I can't stop eating today!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sounds like you're his role model my lovely :D

On a serious note though, tell him the score and say you no longer want to be his friend if he can't even have a mind of his own. It will hurt him as he obviously idolises you but it will work out for the best..

Just out of curiousity, does he have any other friends - I mean real friends?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    keeping your own identity

Woah! You guys have everything covered!