Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pill Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on the pill for 1.5years, but have never relied on it as contraception as have been on antibiotics, but have been off it for 3months, and haven't had any medication except for the odd, headache tablet, for over 1 month. I have had a cold/cough for a week would that affect the pill?
Would it now be safe to rely on the pill as a contraception now?

Comments

• Options
    There's usually an advice line that you can call - you'll find it on the packet. I'd ring that and check - or ring the NHS help line.

It's ages since i've been on the pill - but as far as colds go i think it should be fine, as long as you haven't thrown up.
  • Options
  • Options
    pill

Hi Darling!
    I am 25 years old and have been on the Pill since I was 16. It never failed even if I was on antibiotics and missed one or something. Seriously babes, don't worry. Pill is just the best contraceptive and as far as I am concerned, really effective too. So stop worrying, try to take your Pill everyday at similar time (be more careful when vomiting or having diahorrea less than 3 hours after taking it, but that's it really...) and go for it !!!! ;););):):):)
  • Options
    Re: pill
    Originally posted by zazka
    It never failed even if I was on antibiotics and missed one or something.

*shakes head*

The pill is less effective when you do that. Don't set too bad an example.
  • Options
    i'm on the pill and was on antibiotics for 7days. the doctor advised me to use another form of contraceptive whilst taking the antibiotics and 7 days afterwards

a cold won't affect it, only vomiting or diahorrea because the pill would go straight through you rather than being used by the body.

so, i'd say its safe to rely on pill now

i've been on the pill 6months though and because of possible side effects etc im wondering whether there is a maximum amount of time you take it before having a rest