Home Health & Wellbeing
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

erm...Facing Reality-Your Views plz

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
erm.... Some of you will have read the few messages I've said relating to my self harming. Well things are bad. I feel so depressed all the time and cry at the smallest things, everytime my parents shout at me I cannot handle it and I'm putting my friends in a difficult position because some of them know and don't know how to help and others are worried because I won't tell them what is going on. School work is piling on as I am in my GCSE year and I can't concentrate at all because I'm worrying/thinking about it ALL THE TIME. I keep cutting my wrists-I justs can't help it. Anyway I have said before I'm a stubborn bitch with a phobia of doctors but from the p.o.v of other self harmers(and anyone else-all help is much appreciated) would you go to a doctor or try and carry on stopping the problem yourself? I really don't know what to do. If I told my doctor, I'd have to tell everyone.
Thnx
:confused:

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I would personally go see some kind of doctor, im not sure how long you have had this problem but i think its obvious you are not coping with it. I would reccomend perhaps going to a psycologist (sp?) in my experience they are pretty good with problems such as yours. Hope this helps some what.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there

    You've said yourself that you don't seem to be able to stop doing this to yourself. It's a vicious circle really ..... the more you stress about it, the more you're likely to do it to yourself. I would suggest that you do to see a doctor or a counsellor. Your school may have a counsellor or someone like that who you could talk to. Look in the yellow pages for similar type services in your area.

    As for having to tell everyone if you went to see a doctor, that is not so. What you say to a doctor is private remember and so they are not allowed to tell anyone. People would only find out if you told them .... which, as it happens, may help.

    Good luck. xxx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been doin it for almost 9 months. The thing with the doctor, I would have no other way of getting there and its awkward as my parents know people at the surgery and its in a nearby village and there would be no other reason to go there. erm... I don't think there is a school counseller/doctor.
    thnx for ur help
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you told a doctor, you would not have to tell everyone. They have to keep it confidential, and you only need to tell the people you want to. You can have as much privacy as you want.

    You sound more afraid than stubborn to me, and you're on here asking for help, so I guess that on some level you know it's time to get help. Try the Bristol Crisis Centre helpline below, they're very experienced in talking to people who self-harm and offer all kinds of support.

    The Bristol Crisis Centre for Women
    They run local support groups for women who injure themselves, and also have a national self-harm helpline for women in distress.
    Telephone: 0117 925 1119, open Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm to 12.30am
    www.users.zetnet.co.uk/BCSW
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all I think you're being very brave by coming to terms with the problem and asking for help.

    I think it would be a good idea for you to go and see a doctor - as karla says it would be completely confidential.
    If you have to tell someone in order to get there, come up with a reason to go such as a bad sore throat or a rash or something, but explain to the doctor your real reasons.

    If thats a problem you could maybe try ringing The Samaritans as they're there to listen to people's problems and help in whatever way they can

    other than that just try and be strong - I know its hard, but you've made a good start

    good luck babe - thinking of you
    xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Karla
    If you told a doctor, you would not have to tell everyone. They have to keep it confidential, and you only need to tell the people you want to. You can have as much privacy as you want.

    You sound more afraid than stubborn to me, and you're on here asking for help, so I guess that on some level you know it's time to get help. Try the Bristol Crisis Centre helpline below, they're very experienced in talking to people who self-harm and offer all kinds of support.

    The Bristol Crisis Centre for Women
    They run local support groups for women who injure themselves, and also have a national self-harm helpline for women in distress.
    Telephone: 0117 925 1119, open Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm to 12.30am
    www.users.zetnet.co.uk/BCSW


    You are brave asking for help girl gunner but at least you realise the problem at hand

    Give them a call you know it makes sense !
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are your parents aware of how you are feeling right now? they must have noticed some change in your personality. If you are unable to talk to them then I really think you have to talk to someone, your problems will not go away without some form of help.
    Depression can be cured, but normally people need help, sometimes just talking can make you feel a lot better. If you keep bottleing everything up you will just make yourself even worse.

    I also think you should try to speak to someone from school like a head teacher or something? have you got a teacher you feel that you can talk to? They will then understand that you are having problems and not push too much homework etc your way. I think you will be very suprised at how helpful the school could be to you. Its a vicious circle really, you feel like shit, go to school not having done your homework, assesments etc, the school then naggs you and youre then going to feel worse than you did. If the school actually knew what was going on in your life, they would help you to seek the help that you need.

    Good luck:)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok, i speak from what happened to me,
    IF doctors ask you to take prozac, valeum (maybe spelt wrong) or ANY OTHER drug DO NOT take it, i did & it fucked me over. i used to be a happy guy that like firends etc. but i cut myself so because i enjoy pain that made me "unstable" DO NOT LET THEM CALL YOU THIS!!
    after all the drug crap i changed, now im quiet, don't really talk to people & i hate having lots people around me, but i still enjoy pain, in other words they fucked me over for no reason.
    NO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! if you go to a doc say you do not want ANY drugs, talking with docs are fine, they might cure ya and not change you.
    but drugs from docs are bad from what i had done to me.

    hope this helps
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Ultimate Badass
    ok, i speak from what happened to me,
    IF doctors ask you to take prozac, valeum (maybe spelt wrong) or ANY OTHER drug DO NOT take it, i did & it fucked me over. i used to be a happy guy that like firends etc. but i cut myself so because i enjoy pain that made me "unstable" DO NOT LET THEM CALL YOU THIS!!
    after all the drug crap i changed, now im quiet, don't really talk to people & i hate having lots people around me, but i still enjoy pain, in other words they fucked me over for no reason.
    NO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! if you go to a doc say you do not want ANY drugs, talking with docs are fine, they might cure ya and not change you.
    but drugs from docs are bad from what i had done to me.

    hope this helps

    Sorry to hear you have had a bad time with regards to what the doctor prescribed you, however not all drugs work this way. You shouldnt say dont take the drugs that the doctor prescribes. How many people take prescribed medication which the doctor prescribes and they then turn themselves around? Id say by the sounds of it you have seen a doctor who is not really good in this type of case, I would also say to you, try a different doctor. It doesent matter what reason we go to see the doctor for some are more sensitive than others, you have by the sounds of it have seen a doctor who aint got a clue.

    By the sounds of it Girl Gunner really needs someone to talk to, you might have just put her off doing that by your comments.

    Girl Gunner I still think you should try to talk to someone, you have said your depressed, so you really should seek help. You may not even need medication, people can be helped purely by talking out the problems, fears etc. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i asked for opinions and thats wat iv gt so tanks evry1. i tlk 2 my friends but shit jus i cant cope my dcotors a twat and im on the alcohol so evrythn is kool. thnx u all!!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do think you should see a counsellor tehy will ensure you remain happpy and they really do help, i saw one back in March and have been happy since, occasiopnally i have a bad day but so do we all! Please get help :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks everyone for all your help I am seriously considering going to see a doctor or someone as I don't think i could cope with phoning, and have previously tried emailing the samaritans which didn't prove to be much help to me ( though they are very good so I hope this doesn't put people off from contacting them)
    Thanks Again
    xxx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Thanks everyone for all your help I am seriously considering going to see a doctor or someone as I don't think i could cope with phoning, and have previously tried emailing the samaritans which didn't prove to be much help to me ( though they are very good so I hope this doesn't put people off from contacting them)
    Thanks Again
    xxx

    I really hope it works out for you :)
Sign In or Register to comment.