Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Parental Units

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

sorry! but I just HAD to scream somewhere - my mum keeps inventing problems about going to uni and its really starting to annoy me!

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or a remedy or avoidance tactic?????????
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What has she been saying?
    well........

first there's the money issues - student loans/tuition fees/accomodation etc etc
    her main worry today ... although it could change any minute is whether or not my cheque will arrive on time and what am i going to do if it doesnt.

Then there's gowns - since I'm going to Oxford I have to wear certain things for exams etc - and she's stressing about whether i need a new skirt/ specific type of shirt .....

what else?? oh yes insurance cover for all my stuff, deadlines for money payments and now of all things she wants to to double check whether they've given me the right start date!!

i KNOW its a mother thing - because i'm the first to 'leave the nest' as it were, she's trying to be protective, but it's still annoying.
    Her and Dad are going away on friday, so at least I'll have a week's break!
    Don't fret!! My mum's the same.

For Oxford, full sub-fusc for women is jsut a white blouse, and a black skirt which needs to be about ankle length (anything that makes you look like a frumpy 50-odd year old you should do).

The only gown you need in first year is a commoner's gown, which is the least conspicuous off all gowns, , basically being like a black jacket with no arms. Don't forget your mortarboard either. Go somewhere like Shepherd and Woodward on the High Street and they'll sort you out with everything you need.

I think the contents of your room is covered for a small extra fee with your home insurance - best to check. There's a meeting on the morning of the day after you get there, where they explain everything, along with the mandatory fat-bloke-from-fire-brigade-telling-you-not-to-light-campfires-or-fireworks-in-your-room talk.

You probably go down (or rather, up) on a Tuesday, like we did, just to make it as inconvenient as possible.

Remember, slander against Exeter College is mandatory!!!