Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

age gaps

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
age gaps... do you think theres anything wrong with a 14 yr old goin with a 19yr old? and what do you think about age gaps?

Comments

• Options
    That particular age gap is too much in my opinion. I think once your in your 20's, the age gap thing becomes much less of an issue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Baby
    That particular age gap is too much in my opinion. I think once your in your 20's, the age gap thing becomes much less of an issue.

Baby is totally true.

When i was in school, i went out with boys who were older and younger than me, and ofcourse you would get the odd old petty kid saying things, but don't take any notice of them.

Im 19 now and im going out with a 17 year old guy. But we never get anyone saying things about us now. We tend to make a joke of it ourselfs and i call him my 'Toyboy' then people have nothng to say back to you.

As long as your both happy and he doesn't take any advantage of you then just chill out about the age gap thang.

;):D
  • Options
    Age gaps in themsleves arent a problem, its if the two people have anything in common. If you like him enough to put up with a few jokes then go for him, its hardly a huge age gap. If it works for you then go for it, after all youcan only know if you try it. To be scared to go for something because of five years is ridiculous, my parents ahve fivce years between em and its worked fine.

After all, most 19yo lads act 11 anyway;)
  • Options
    there is a nineteen year gap between my nan and ehr husband
    nine years between my aunt and her boyfriend
    four years between my mum and dad
    and i'm 14 going out with a sixteen yro, but iv gone out with 17/18 years olds as well.

so....age means bollocks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by evilemsie
    there is a nineteen year gap between my nan and ehr husband
    nine years between my aunt and her boyfriend
    four years between my mum and dad
    and i'm 14 going out with a sixteen yro, but iv gone out with 17/18 years olds as well.

so....age means bollocks.

True to an extent I think. But I think when you're under 16, you need to be protected (hence the law of underage sex) by older men. The law is there for a reason. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Baby

True to an extent I think. But I think when you're under 16, you need to be protected (hence the law of underage sex) by older men. The law is there for a reason. :rolleyes:

im not saying it isnt, and going out with someone doesnt automatically mean you HAVE to sleep with them.
    it depends more on the person than however big the gap is.
  • Options
    hmmm not sure about a 14yo seeing a 19yo...seems a bit weird.. but then again i have a cheek im 18 and am seeing a 22yo. i dont think age gaps are really a problem but i agree with baby in that its less of a problem as u get older. i dont think id be happy about any 14yo i know seeing a 19yo though.
  • Options
    Well you asked for opinions and I don't think you will like mine.

A lot of the time 19 year olds pick young girls because they can be manipulated easily and they don't have a mind of their own. They are not emotionally mature and certainly not sexually mature.

I think this kind of age gap is wrong for so many reasons. However, when you get to a certain age, say over 16, a five year age gap is not too bad provided the people have something in common.

A 19 year old and a 14 year old should want different things from life, they should have different values and probably have different views on the world. However, if this particular 19 year old is a no hope scally then he probably doesn't have any values, or morals.

If one of my male friends started dating a 14 year old I'd be worried. It's a bit sick as far as I am concerned!
  • Options
    Yes i do its wrong an she's way to immature (the 14yr old) has she had puberty yet?
  • Options
    i dont think age matters really as long as both concerned are happy with it. I'm almost 21 and my last boyfriend was only 16, and it never bothered me :)
  • Options
    OMG u went out with a minor 16 ya na
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Well you asked for opinions and I don't think you will like mine.

A lot of the time 19 year olds pick young girls because they can be manipulated easily and they don't have a mind of their own. They are not emotionally mature and certainly not sexually mature.

I think this kind of age gap is wrong for so many reasons. However, when you get to a certain age, say over 16, a five year age gap is not too bad provided the people have something in common.

A 19 year old and a 14 year old should want different things from life, they should have different values and probably have different views on the world. However, if this particular 19 year old is a no hope scally then he probably doesn't have any values, or morals.

If one of my male friends started dating a 14 year old I'd be worried. It's a bit sick as far as I am concerned!

BumbleBee I think we finally agree on a topic:D I agree totally with eveything you have said;)

I dont think age matters one bit when both people are consenting adults. A 14 yr old and 19yr old nah dont even go there !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

BumbleBee I think we finally agree on a topic:D I agree totally with eveything you have said;)

I dont think age matters one bit when both people are consenting adults. A 14 yr old and 19yr old nah dont even go there !!!!!!!!

Lol, about time too!