Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

AS levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
basically i have to chose at as levels in november and becoz i want 2 b a pharmacologist i want 2 do chem, bio and maths but i have 2 do 4/5. There r a few i have in mind. can any1 give me any feedback on them. thanx.

1) French, what's it like- is it really different 2 gcse.
2) psychology- never done it b4 so whats it like.
3) eng lang/ lit- don't really think i'll do this but any1 whos done feedback would be appreciated.

thanx.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: AS levels
    Originally posted by spirtual_star

2) psychology- never done it b4 so whats it like.
    3) eng lang/ lit- don't really think i'll do this but any1 whos done feedback would be appreciated.

thanx.

I've just completed an AS in English Language. Just about to take it onto A2 now. Do u mean the combined one though as that is quite different to what I did.

I'm only about to start Psychology as an AS this year so I can't really tell u anything about it yet!
    no i meant english language alone or english literature alone. i can only do 1. sorry 4 the confusion.
    thanx
    I'm starting a degree in Pharmacology in 2 weeks (my second go at a degree), so I might be able to help out.

I did German (so perhaps like French). The first year is pretty hard, the second is really easy. you do all the hard grammar and words you use a lot in the first year, so all you need to do in the second is add to your vocabulary a bit.

Psychology is meant to be good, but we wary of something you've never done before.

I personally did my A-Levels in the last year before they changed to As and A2. I did bio, chem, German, and general studies. Bio's really easy but there's a load of stuff to learn. chem is pretty hard, but less to learn. German has a lot to learn but you're using it all the time, so not mucuh revision needed at the end. General studies is stupid. read The Times a few times a week and you'll get a B at least.

If you want any advice or info on Pharmacology, just ask (or PM me).
    I did both French AS/A Level and English language. Personally, I didn't find much of a big step up from GCSE to AS Level but then languages Are My Fing (TM) ;). Like someone said before, it's not that difficult you just have to work hard at grammer, vocab and when the lessons get really boring you can look up random words in the dictionary (putain, salaud, cache-tampon, roucouler, megot etc. etc. The more obscure the better)

Do English Language. Do It. I took it because I didn't really know waht to do for my fifth subject and it almost became my favourite subject. The first year's interesting and if you do AQA you get to do original writing. The second year is fascinating and you learn all about how ickle babies learn to speak. Cute!
    I have just started english language as a top up to my alevels already studied. It doesnt sound easy but then again none do. I want to be a teacher so it would be a good thing i'd say :)

It is al about how communication works and how language is developed and learnt mainly about language development and scientific stuff but good!
    i do psyc and love it, its the kind of subject that at the start if u learn it in the order i did, you might think o this isnt what i thought it would be but after that, which is one unit! and very easy its very very interesting!
    I've just started my AS levels
    I've taken:
    Law - really interesting, would recommend
    Lang/Lit - LOve it, but then i love english so......
    Communication studies - DO THIS COURSE IF YOU CAN!!!! IT IS SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!!:D :D
    Theatre studies - Not sure about this one yet, takes up like all your free time with rehersals! :confused:

Whatever you decide good luck!!

:)
    This is a little warning ... please stop and think before you choose to do FIVE AS Levels.

I did five, and although I did well in them all (possibly down to the fact that my year was the first to do them and markers were leniant) it very nearly burnt me out. If you DO choose to do 5 then make sure you're prepared for a big workload and also check that you'll get a lot of support from the teaching staff.

A number of my friends did Psychology and found it very interesting... it might be a nice little extra for you because, depending what you use your degree for, you'll probablly end up dealing with stressed/emotional/disturbed people.

I did the Combined Lang/lit course and found it very interesting - but then again English isn't everyone's cup of tea

And french... as far as i know it's not hugely different to GCSE - just a step further. and its always good to study a language
    I loved my second year of English Language. I got to coo over loads of cute ickle kiddies learning how to speak language (did you know that ALL babies sound the same before they learn to speak? IE, a gurgling Chinese baby sounds exactly the same as a gurgling English baby with no differing accent). Language change was likewise fascinating and the editorial language paper was easy - I finished it with around an hour and a half to go. The easiest exam I've ever done!

Hope this helps.
    thanx, all advice is helping
    i would say that french is different.

i mean, i had an a for gcse
    for AS i had a C and
    for a2 i had a D :rolleyes:

edited cos i can't spell
    Hated them.
    Is business studies hard for an as avce level? its basically like the business studies. but i think the avce is slightly different, its got modular topics and hopefully little easier anyhow! As i'm thinking of dropping maths to take this up now!
    oh well soon see!
    Don't do physcology it is so boring!!!
    But maybe thats because i have 3 double periods of it and an investiagion write up to me is very dull.
    hated psych, so much that i had to drop it at the end of yr 12, leaving me with only 2 A2's to take. Grrr.
    can i ask those ppl who took psych and hated it. what were the reasons? im just wondering if it's a personal thing and maybe i ll still like it.
    thanx