Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

choking in the middle of the night (?!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all, before i ask my question i'll just say i'm new here so be nice to me :p the name's vicky :D

anyhow, i have a weird problem, i dunno if i should be worrying about this or what, its happened a few times now... basically i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to find i am completely paralysed and unable to breathe ! :crazyeyes i've heard of something called sleep paralysis, i dunno what that is, anyhow, its kinda scary when it happens coz i cant move at all, but it only lasts a few seconds after i wake up, but its quite bizarre, no ?! :confused: any ideas ?!

cheerz!
xxx

Comments

• Options
    I've heard about this too.

Basically its because when you dream, the brain shuts off motor control, so that you don't hurt yourself (by eg imagining you are in a fight). So how come people sleepwalk? I have no idea!

It has only happened to me once, and because I knew what was happening, I just relaxed and everything was fine!
  • Options
    Could be sleep apnoea.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/snoring.html

It's probably worth seeing your GP to set your mind at rest :)