Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

whats in a referance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi. work dont know im quitting yet to go to austarlia at the end of september:D ( sorry )
only one of the people i work with knows this,( hes self inployed with own business) i have asked him for a referance, he has said yes, but he needs to know what to put in it . can some of you help me.

6 years experiance in the trade ......... then what???

ta

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: whats in a referance?
    Originally posted by burping frog
    hi. work dont know im quitting yet to go to austarlia at the end of september:D ( sorry )
    only one of the people i work with knows this,( hes self inployed with own business) i have asked him for a referance, he has said yes, but he needs to know what to put in it . can some of you help me.

6 years experiance in the trade ......... then what???

ta

How long you've worked there, what you job involved, what your responsibilites were, how well you worked, personal qualities...
    Probably easier to get the guy's details and then when you go to your next job put him down as the reference giver. That way he will be asked whatever the new employer wants to know, otherwise you'll be giving possibly the wrong info.

Could be anything from would you reemploy through to how many days off sick....
    There is a lot of stuff that can and can't go in a reference. You can be sued for giving someone a bad reference for instance.

I had to get several of my bosses to write me a reference for my current job. I knew both of them really well so the references were good and written in a managers style.

http://www.jobweb.com/Research/reftips.html
    Originally posted by Sancho Panza
    There is a lot of stuff that can and can't go in a reference. You can be sued for giving someone a bad reference for instance.

http://www.jobweb.com/Research/reftips.html

And you can be sued by the employer for giving a too good reference - it's a fine line.

Attendance and Punctuality are the two biggies in my line of work
    Could be anything from would you reemploy through to how many days off sick...

this is a good point. employers are not allowed to give bad references. the way round this though is this new question.... would you re-employ the person? on the reference document sent by the new employer.