Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Windows XP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How can i download music when I've got XP?

I used to have Windows 98 and I've used WinMX, Morpheus, kazaa ... and they've all worked fine, but now I've got windows XP I cant get anythin to work??

HELP!!!! please!

Thanks in advance!

xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried Audio Galaxy?

WinXP has a lot of security to prevent hackers, it may be that you need to turn some of your privacy settings down a notch in your internet settings.
    yeh i had audiogalaxy but it can never find the songs im looking for on there
    I use kazaalite and it's working fine under WinXP pro. You might have to log in with administrator rights perhaps?
    Strange.. I upgraded to XP months ago and I've had no problem using WinMX, Kazaa or Edonkey.
    do you people know that kazaa and all the other p2p software not only contains adware, but spyware and hidden p2p networks that allow them to use your machine to do stuff they want

I'd only use p2p on an old machine that i would format and do a clean windows install on afterwards

Or as pugwash has done, use the hacked verson of kazaa, kazaa lite, it's been reported to be safer
    Originally posted by The Pendari Champion
    all the other p2p software not only contains adware, but spyware and hidden p2p networks that allow them to use your machine to do stuff they want

*cough*BOLLOCKS*Cough*
    Direct conect++......
    I've put directconnect++ on today, not really too sure on how it works, but I'll give it a try ... If any one can give me any help on that tho it'd be well appreciated!!!!

Thanks for all the help!

xx
    Ok first go to settings, specify a user name etc. Then select some folders to share files from. The more you share the better, as you can get onto better hubs etc. DON'T SHARE YOUR WHOLE HARDDRIVE OR SYSTEM FOLDERS TO GET A BIGGER FILESHARE. It's amazing how many people's e-mail I could read etc because they shared everything.

Ok, then on the public hubs list try connecting to 2 or 3 different hubs. Most hubs won't support DCC++ or will have a fileshare size over yours (unless you have a big HD full of stuff ;)) Then you can hit search and find files.
    I was talking about gnuttela, morpheus and other crap ware. My point was still valid. read slashdot articles for the details
    I was just objecting to the claim that ALL the other p2p software includes the stuff...

And I read slashdot anyway :p
    crap ware?
    I had morpheus a while ago, what crap ware has it got??:confused:
    kazaa does work on xp..i know. And yes there is alot of 'shit wear' or 'spywear' on p2p programs. Basically people can see what you've got etc... all very dodgy!
    The spyware in question is NOT regarding other people seeing what you have - that's legit. filesharing and is covered in the functionality of what you share out.
    Spyware and the uproar surrounding kazaa was that within the terms and conditions you merrily scrolled through and agreed to is permission for kazaa and affiliates to deliver targetted contents at you and to use your machine to host this stuff for them, etc.

Anyway, that aside, if you just upgraded to WinXP from 98, try re-installing the file share applications again. WinXP comes with a built-in firewall that prevents unsolicited inbound http traffic, so file share programs configure themselves on install to work with this restriction.

Last week I installed WinMX and Morpheus too and they work fine. My Kazaa Lite was already ok.
    The Pendari Champion : If you look i think you will find the app that was mentioned to use was Kazaalite, which is spyware free.

If you look through previous posts you will find that this topic has been well coverd in a number of threads in the past.
    i have kazaa and i use it alot. i only share the default share folder and saying it again, working fine on XP Home Edition:)