Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Money - How Much Is Enough?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm doing a Gap year before I go to uni (Grey College, Durham, wh00t!) which gives me some time to save up some cash before I leave. My accomodation is catered so I won't be feeding myself, I'm going to stockpile stuff like stationary and toiletries and but I've still got no idea just how much I'll need. £1000? £2000? Hopefully I'll be able to get a casual job but I've still got no clue and my parents/brother/friends haven't been much help. The general advice is "As much as you can earn." Well, doesn't the average well-established ecstasy dealer earn around £10 000 a week...?

So, how much did everybody else take? Was it enough?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The best thing to do is a budget - look at what you are likely to spend. I look at it weekly by which I mean look at how much your accomodation is per week and how much you are likely to go out.

At Lancaster uni, it's fairly cheap (accomodation on campus is £45 a week) so I allow myself £80 or £90 a week including accomodation - basically 40 quid to do with what I please. Add this up over 10 or so weeks (length of one term) and you're looking at a grand a term. Don't forget about tuition fees which total £1100 (this can be paid in bits though).

I would say that you would need more than £1000 going to Durham because they have fancy dinners and stuff so you'd be best budgeting or having available £2000. It is a lot of money and you'll be skint most of the time but it's well worth it.
    I went to school in Lancaster and you could virtually live on nothing there because it's such a dump. Great uni though.
    Durham

There's a fairly Durham specific estimated budget somewhere in the international students' section at their websites (along with other handy stuff which is naturally crusual to know for anyone not from England - like that you should be able to carry your belongings when you have to carry them, and that a passport is a good idea when going to somewhere which isn't your homecountry... it makes a quite amusing read - anyway, they estimate £5500-6500 a year, seems extremely high though). I intend to survive Durham next autumn with about £4000...
    Forgot to say - that estimate includes accommodation/food.
    Firstly, good luck finding a job in Durham. It is a very small city and there isn't much going.
    Secondly, I don't understand the question!

I spent about £4000 in my first yea on tuition fees, books, accomodation (which was catered).

Spending wise, probably budget about £50 a week until you settle down into a routine.

As you'll be in Grey College you won't have that many fancy banquests to go to so don't worry to much about those.

And may I just take this opportunity to say:

Good luck at Durham. You'll need it. Or a qualification in speaking out of your arse. I hope you're got a silver spoon handy.

PS. What course are you doing?

Edited to add: I was going to correct my crap spelling but I;ll leave it to make a point about Durham Uni - a shiit university relying heavily on a good (and false) reputation. Sigh.
    I'm doing Arabic with French and, having taken and passed 'A' Level English Language, I'm pretty darn good at speaking out my bum ;) but thanks for the advice, everyone.

Editted because the smilie didn't work