Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diabetes, help..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, some info.

I'm 19 male and have been working out for 2 1/2 hours every other day for the last 3 months, and noticed that my blood sugar level has been as low as 1.6 and just now 4.4. My gran has diabetes, so i was wondering if i have it?? or is it just the fact that I eat nothing sweet apart from fruit...ever (no soft drinks, sweets etc). I understand insulin controls glucose levels and keeps them lower than 7.0ish but what does it mean if its too low?

I'm currently trying to research this using search engines, any advice from you people would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Eating a healthy balanced diet (lots of fruit etc) is going to protect you from type 2 diabetes, so don't worry about the fruit.

If you had untreated diabetes, your blood sugar levels would be too high, rather than too low. (it's injecting insulin that makes your blood sugar go too low if you haven't eaten)

Hope that helps!

If you're still worried call up the NHS Direct helpline for a chat.
  • Options
    As Karla said the best thing to do is to give NHS direct a ring or even just ring your doctors and ask to chat to a nurse to see whether she thinks you ought to pop in to see the doctor.
  • Options
    I've basically come to the same conclusion after talking to my family. That I just need to eat more sugar (guess that means more fruit). I'll have a talk with my doctor the next time I see her(since my blood sugar level was low, it's not a symptom of diabetes, so i'm not going to panic anymore:)

Thanks
  • Options
    Go to your doctor....no-one on TheSite is going to be able to diagnose you
  • Options
    If you have low blood sugar levels and work out a lot, your sugar reserves will be used up and won't be replaced since you do not eat sugar. However, rather than just eating sweet things, it would be a good idea to boost your carbohydrate intake (ie. breads, pasta etc.) as these will build up your sugar reserves keep your sugar levels more stable throughout the day. Simply upping your sugar intake will give you sugar rush then leave you tired until you have some more.
    Hope that helps but as everyone else has said seeing your doctor is the best advice.