Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Discuss.

Is this true, or would you rather never have loved?

(I know where this post is... no, I didn't want to put it in Relationships, because it's a theoretical and generalised question. :p)

Edited because I'm picky. Very picky.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is certainly better to have loved & lost - at least then you know what you're missing & won't settle for less.
    Like LoL said in the other thread, a life lived in fear is a life half lived. It's better to have loved and lost.

I've loved and never actually had, but I'm still glad I know what real love is, and it gives me hope that one day I'll find someone who feels the same way about me as I do about them.
    Its better to know what can be, than never know that feeling at all...
    A life with no regrets is a life half-lived.

To burn with ecstacy but feel your heart and soul ripped apart, to have experienced the extremes of human feeling, to know both joy and despair.......

......how can a life of careful drudgery and weighing every risk compare??
    Yeah, definatly, because at least in one point you had that feeling rather than going your whole life without experiencing it.
    Originally posted by Lord of Little
    A life with no regrets is a life half-lived.

Hmmm, so what if you've lived a completely crazy life, done everything you ever wanted & regretted none of it? Surely that's not a life half lived?

DJP - you're not the only one who's picky :p
    Yeah I agree with KinkyRed

I'd sooner taste love and get hurt then go through life wondering what love like.
    Originally posted by KinkyRed

Hmmm, so what if you've lived a completely crazy life, done everything you ever wanted & regretted none of it? Surely that's not a life half lived?

Hmmmm.... the person who can truly claim to have never regretted anything at all is either the luckiest person in the Universe or a psychotic mofo.
    Originally posted by Lord of Little

Hmmmm.... the person who can truly claim to have never regretted anything at all is either the luckiest person in the Universe or a psychotic mofo.

While this may be true, their lives won't have been half lived :p

I do see what you're saying tho - I'm just being awkward
    Yeah it is better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all. I wouldn't be able to go through life wondering what love felt like. Its better to feel both sides of life.
    Don't know really. Probably loved and lost.

But as Paul Simon said, "If I'd never loved I never would have cried."
    Originally posted by AGoldenBoy
    Don't know really. Probably loved and lost.

But as Paul Simon said, "If I'd never loved I never would have cried."

but crying is cathartic (sp?)

I know its not something which me do very often but you always feel a little better after a few tears
    I have loved and lost, and everything taken into account my first instinct would be to say that id have preferred not to love at all. then id think about it and say, you know what actually, i'll say i preferred to have loved and lost just for the experience, not because it was pleasant, only so i can say i did.
    Yeah prob would have to say it is good to hhave had the feeling of love but glad to be out of it at the same time mainly because alot of ones attention goes on that one person and alot of others get ignored such as mates which i think i would rather have although love is good too. Kinda doesn't make sense alot of contradiction but in two minds about the subject.
    OMG! beatnu me wee darlin!! This a flying visit or are you going to stick around a while?

Still livin it up in rockin fermanagh? :p
    prob just a flyin visit work is quiet so thought i'd drop in. oh yeah still rockin down here. was away in gran canaria for a week there with mates what a mad week it was too. so how are you doing. must dash anyway will drop by soon
    Love is the most powerful force driving your actions and decision making (or fear, depending on whether the glass is half empty or half full). If you lose the person you love, or they change into someone different, finding another love becomes the most important mission in your life, however you try to achieve it. Like a herion addiction, you define your life with the struggle to maintain the ultimate high, the greatest point of happiness you know.

so there.:p
    My cynical side is urging me to write:

Better not to have loved. If you don't know what you're missing, how can you miss it? *sigh*

My optimistic side is saying:

Having lost it once, you will appreciate when you get it again. How can there be mountains without valleys?
    There has been times I'd rather not have had, given the option I'd have avoided them altogether. I think it's better to love and keep :D Loving and losing is just as bad as never loving at all.
    yeah, clever pugwash has said what i was trying to. well done.
    Well, pretty much everything I was gonna say has been said already, but just so you know my thoughts on it.
    I think it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Yes, it hurts like hell. Yes, it makes you feel generally like shit. But the experience, the love felt, the pure emotion of falling and being in love is an experience not to be taken for granted.
    Sometimes you just have to try a few times to make it last.
    hope springs eternal n all that pants

with love n relationships n all that shite u gotta b like a weeble, wobble but dont fall down :D
    Yeah tis better to love and lose it. I feel so lucky to have ever had someone I loved and been loved back by them. Such a good feeling and it stays with you for ever, hurts like hell at the time when it goes wrong, but the rewards at the time out weigh the hell afterwards.