Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it an offensive weapon if used only as part of a friends selfn-harming cutting kit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend was recently arrested for driving whilst disqualified, and after being placed in the back of the police used a small penknife he carried around with him. He carried the knife soley to cut himself as it was sterile, somehing which he descibes as being a comforter - part of a larger cutting kit, which I do not fully understand the reasons for having, and all of which, gave him a release when under intense panic.
He is being charged with driving whilst disqualified, damage to property, as the police car was covered in blood, and possesion of an offensive weapon.
Was his small penknife an offensive weaoon, or did he have just cause for carrying it?:rolleyes::confused:

Thank you for any reply you may have.... Daz

apologies for the spelling mistakes

Comments

• Options
    For all the police know, he may have intended to harm someone else with it, hence them saying it's an offensive weapon.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Daz,
    Welcome to TheSite, glad you found us.

Just to explain we do have some guidance around self-harm which means graphic posts that detail harm aren't permitted I'm afraid because of how it might impact others who are feeling vulnerable/prone to harming themselves. I understand why you posted it in the context of your thread though and it sounds like this whole episode has had quite an impact on you, is that fair to say?

It sounds like your friend really isn't coping very well at the moment and perhaps the issue isn't so much whether the police should see the knife as an offensive weapon, but more - is there any help for your friend moving forwards? Cutting in the way he did in a public place suggests he's very much a danger to himself and is in need of lots of care right now.

Do you feel there are people in his life who are able to support him?
  • Options