Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Am I sociopathic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello. I am a 15 year old boy and I think I might be a sociopath, if not, have tendencies to be one. The reason I'm not sure is because I have a girlfriend, and I love her more than anything, but she's the only person who I care about, apart from my mum, dad and sister. Apart from these people, I feel like I'm incapable of feeling any emotions or sympathy towards others. My two best friends, who I go out with a lot and have a good time with very often, I can't bring myself to caring for them, not even in the slightest. I try and force myself to feel like I care about them, because it's what is normal and it's meant to be the most important part of a friendship. But I can't do it, I try and try to care for people but I can't form this psychological bond, far enough to say I wouldn't be bothered if they died. Both of my grandmothers have cancer and... Nothing. I just don't seem to care, and I can't, even if I try to. I just can't get anything out of it, it makes me feel like I'm different and not normal which makes me feel excluded. Can anyone conclude that I am, or am not sociopathic? All help and answers I am thankful for.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some of us find it hard to show emotion. I remember my response to my granddad having terminal cancer being "oh, ok", got asked if I was ok, I said yes, ran upstairs and just sat there and cried.

You say "you wouldn't be that bothered if your best friends died". I think your reactions would be very different if your friends did die.
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi jasperpye1, welcome to TheSite boards :)

You say you are worried that you are a sociopath because you find it difficult to feel emotions for other people. As others on this thread have said, it is highly unlikely that you are a sociopath as you have also said that you have strong feelings for your girlfriend as well as caring for your immediate family. If you are concerned, here is an article about personality disorders which might be helpful, although as I've already said, it is very unlikely that this is the case.

It is not unusual to find it difficult to access deep emotions. Shutting down can become a way to deal with things which would be very distressing otherwise (for example, you mentioned both your grandmothers have cancer). Even though you may not consciously feel that you are shutting out the feelings, this could be one explanation.

It might help to think about when it was you last felt connected to other people, or if you can remember a time when you didn't feel this way. It could be that things are feeling stressful at the moment and you're finding it hard to sort out your feelings towards other people.

I hope this is helpful and do come back to the boards if you need further support.