Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Endurance Running tips?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi,

I am partaking in a charity run in January to raise money for Children with Cancer.

Its my first time in a competitive type event.

Its 12 miles.

Is there any other runners here who have tips.

I have a small zip area on the back of my shorts, is there any little boosters you think I could put in there to keep me going.

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    - don't start off too fast
    - don't eat, drink, wear or use something on the day you're not used to
    - eat and drink more (but not too much more) in the week before the race
    - enjoy!
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there LocalBoy :wave:

It's great to see you're doing something so amazing for Children with Cancer, I've done the Race 4 Life twice and I'm hoping to do it again. However, like all great runners, you have an ultimate goal, which is really positive. I suggest getting comfortable trainers, which are just right for your feet, remember you'll be using these trainers while in training, and also in the charity run, and as Melian said, it's a good idea not to change them.

To avoid potential injury, etc, it's a good idea to warm your body up with few stretches, and enter running slowly, allow yourself to start each run with a 5 minute warm up doing basic cardio warm ups, like walking, knee lifts, etc. When you start of running, you will find yourself getting exhausted after a few minutes of running, try keeping yourself paced, and walk in-between if needed, time yourself, allow yourself to do quick jogging for 1-2 minutes, and then slow jogging for 15. often find having music in and creating a running play list allows me to work out how to pace myself throughout the run. Whilst you get more into running, rather than 1-2 minutes of running, you increase the running intervals, however, you need to look after yourself.

Aim to get out for a run at least twice a week, and while starting off, just aim for half an hour off on and off running. The NHS website also have a Couch to 5k+ which might be worth having a look at - http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Couch-to-5k-plus.aspx

Best of luck with the run, and let us know how it's going!!

WhispersOfTheHearts