Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Relationship breakdown after 10 yrs with child ! please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there , i am newbie desperate for advice with my pickle predicament !!!
two years ago my relationship broke down with my boyfriend we were together 13 years and we have a 12 year old girl - , he has been kind enough to let me have the bedroom for the last two years while he sleeps on the sofa - it his flat in London ( housing association ) his name is on the tenancy not me , we are having terrible rows and arguements which isn't healthy for our child - I have a part time job in a bar earning £150 a week which isn't enough for housing - am I entitled to any help towards housing costs elsewhere ? please help , I can't go on like this for the New year and must make a change to get my own place and life - any advice would be greatly appreciated xx:heart::yes::confused::thumb::love::wave:


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unfortunately with the way they have changed the local housing allowance it doesn't really give people who live in London much help towards private rental costs because they are so high. But it's worth contacting your local council (because you are essentially homeless if your name isn't on the tenancy and he could chuck you out at any given moment). It's also important to check you are getting all of the benefits you are entitled to - http://www.turn2us.org.uk has a very good benefits checker and you can call them too. Hope that helps!!
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi hungerfordboyle, welcome to TheSite :)

    It sounds like you're in a predicament which is causing you a lot of stress. Not being sure about your housing situation can be scary, especially when you're not sure what sort of help you might be entitled to.

    Miss_Riot mentioned Turn 2 Us which might be helpful in helping you work out what benefits you might be entitled to. You could also make an appointment at your local Citizens Advice bureau as they can offer face-to-face support with housing. (Have a look at their website for information on what to bring to an appointment). Shelter are a charity dedicated to housing support, so it might be worth contacting their free helpline on 0808 800 4444.

    I hope this is helpful and that you are able to find the right support for you and your daughter.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was going to mention you could try CAB, but SarahR has already mentioned it above :)
Sign In or Register to comment.