Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Re-sitting a year at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, this is just a general enquiry really. Is it as straightforward as just telling your uni you want to resit? I'm aware that more than likely all unis are not the same, but I'm just trying to find out whether theres any complicated shenanigans going on.

I'm aware that student loans and tution fees are affected, but should the uni have any problem with it?

I know this is very general, and I'm not expecting anyone to say "your uni will do this, it'll be fine", just looking for experiences or knowledge.

Oh, and for added information, I'm talking bout re-sitting second year, and I'm in Scotland (incase that makes a difference!).

Oh, and for anyone who knows me and is suddenly curious, I'm not talking about me. :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Do they need to resit a couple of exams, repeat a couple of modules or repeat the whole year? The advice for each is different. What I would suggest first off is that your friend contacts their tutor and their careers advisor/ careers centre on campus. They could also try their department office who may have some advice to offer them.

Resitting exams usually happens aug/ sept so they'd have to get a move on

Repeating modules (one or two) can be done alongside the final year, but they would have to consult tutors/ lecturers to check this would be OK.

Repeating the whole year is exactly that - and this is where funding difficulties may arise. You often won't be asked to repeat modules you have passed, unless the mark was very low.

Anyway to answer your questions:

- it is as simple as telling your uni - yes...but first talk to a tutor or someone in the department to find out the best way forward.

Usually there are no problems with resits or repeats of the second year - only the final year has complications.

Moneywise - you'll have to get your mate to talk to their LEA and get advice from the uni finance office.

Wish them luck!
    Susie

:)
  • Options
    Thanks Susie, figured it'd be you with the knowledge ;)

Well, its kinda complicated. I'll try my best to explain.

Basically, due to a change of course, an extra maths unit is required, plus two advanced units last semester, which he was kicked out of (complicated reasoning, that isn't really relevant). Which probably constitutes half a years work. I'm not exactly sure on the details, but I think he may need one extra credit aswell.

We go back to uni in about 4 weeks anyway, so he's gonna speak to his advisor then, but I was just wondering whether any complications could arise.

Thanks again Susie, You helped put my mind at ease, and I'll pass on what you said. Although I think he was more sure about things than me anyway!
  • Options
    No problem...what I forgot to mention as well is that resits can be taken up to 3 times...but again this depends on the course and the uni etc etc... so a combination of resits and repeats may be possible...

Hope it all gets sorted out
    Susie :)
  • Options
    You can just do external exams in England. Just go in for the exams only that way you can gets some cash in the mean time. This is a suggestion we make as a college.