Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Advanced social rules

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
1. not to ask too deeply (or too much detail) about other ppl's lives.
2. when ppl do share those details, not to broadcast it to a third party.
3. Keep different distance from ppl based on relationship to them (i.e. family vs friends vs work colleagues)
4. Not to treat everyone you meet like your best friends, esp at first meeting. (overly friendly.)
5. Just bc someone talks to you doesn't mean it's ok to latch on to them.
6. Match emotional tone of conversational partner.
7. certain questions about personal lives are ok to ask friends but too personal for ppl u barely know.
8. Not to walk up to someone and start asking questions about that person w/o surrounding conversation.

I only learned those a few months ago and I'm 25, so are these advanced concepts?

Even more advanced concepts that aren't mastered till 30s:
1. Being aware when you're loud
2. How to joke around
3. How to avoid "simple statements" in a conversation
4. Being aware when you're off topic/knowing the focus of conversation
5. How to pause between sentences
6. How not to mention numbers in a conversation
7. Expressive/receptive language
8. Assuming before having all the facts.

Just wondering if all these isn't typically mastered til adulthood.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I mastered these a while ago, and I'm a wee bit younger than you. Yes, some concepts are more advanced than others, but I'm not sure everyone will develop them at the same time, you may just be developing them at a slower rate to some others.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I Had just mastered the top list. The bottom list, still working on it. For instance, I'm still almost never aware when I'm loud
    I mastered those ages ago and I have a learning disability which affects me socially.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm 18 and managed all of this a while back.
    Are you serious? Impressive. There's another social rule I forgot to mention. Sometimes when u run into someone you know in public, saying hi is enough. People have things to do and might not have time for a lengthy conversation. I never knew that till I was 16.