Homeβ€Ί Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti psychotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

So I'm an anti psychotic that's made me gain weight no matter how much I don't eat or little I do eat I still put on weight.

The psych suggested lowering the dose as they believe that all the anti psychotics will make me put weight on it was suggested trailing the older anti psychotics.

I've done some research and found ones that have minimal weight gain in the older ones but wondering what everyone's experiences are of the new and older anti psychotics? Good and bad points?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Β«1

Comments

• Options
    So my CPN said it's upto me whether I continue them as I know the implications of stopping them! That if I chose to stop them they'll put support in place for me but whether that's true or not is another matter it seems to vanish the support but I hope I can get some extra support as it's going to be hard stopping the anti psychotics till they find out what to do next as they're waiting phone calls back about medication. Doesn't look like I'm in for much luck and going to have to cope with the voices and hallucinations they don't seem to bothered about me getting worse again 'it's my choice' so I must be of sound mind! Yey. Will see if this extra support appears I'll be shocked if it does as its never appeared before.

• Options
    Still waiting to hear from pharmacy to see what's best to do with the weight gain. Seems never ending! Hopefully will know something by Monday, be able to get back on track not like anyone cares xD will see how things go and hopefully be able to lose the weight I've put on!

• Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey BlondieLiz

When you're waiting for an answer time can feel like it's slowing down, hold tight! :yes:

Any news from the pharmacy today?

You sound like you have spoken this through with your CPN and are seeking advice from the pharmacist but just in case you wanted to hear from others experiences or speak to expert organisations headmeds is worth checking out.

Keep posting here about how you're getting on!
    *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply PGreen :)

Yeh one longgggg weeeekk taking meds I intend to stop but trying hardest to keep going coz I'll go downhill!

I heard off CPN today still no news they need to hurry up I'm getting fatter by the minute and my eatings all messed up so I don't gain weight from them anymore but hey life goes on!!

Thanks for the head meds I checked them out doing my research for other antipsychotics was quiet helpful told my CPN all my research and they should just listen to me and give me what I want didn't go down well haha!!

Thanks for the hugs :)

• Options
    Well done for talking to your CPN armed with all the info you found out BlondieLiz - having that involvement and understanding of what medication you're on can be really important and I'd encourage you to keep doing your research and making suggestions.

I hope you get some news soon *hug*
  • Options
    Seems to take forever to get information and I'm not even being listened to! Reduced dose of anti psychotics told them I'm stopping them end of week whether they like it or not don't think they heard there fault they should listen

Thanks for hugs Jo :)

• Options
    Having a stress over anti psychotics spent the night awake thinking what I should do about them ugh!

• Options
    Seems to take forever to get information and I'm not even being listened to! Reduced dose of anti psychotics told them I'm stopping them end of week whether they like it or not don't think they heard there fault they should listen

Thanks for hugs Jo :)

Hey, it can be dangerous just to stop taking medication suddenly so I'd suggest hanging in there if you can and making any changes with the support of a medical professional. I hope you get some answers soon - where are you at at the moment? Do you have any appointments booked or are you still waiting to hear more from your CPN?

Do chase it up if you feel it's taking too long and let them know just how much this is stressing you out.

Hugs *hug*
  • Options
    Well I've reduced to the lowest dose now anyway so can stop them soon. I'm still waiting for pharmacist to get back to them seems to be taking forever and I'm not taken seriously when I say it's stressing me out.

Yeh I have appt next week with my CPN I was going to see the Dr but don't think I want to anymore will see how things go :)

Just tired and drained just to get someone to understand me.

• Options
    Yay finally heard from pharmacy now they got to talk to psych and then I can change meds bring on weight lose -so fat and vile- suppose best come off them properly even through I want to stop them fuck life!

• Options
    Great news that they have got back to you :yippe: One step closer!

As Jo said it's important to come off medication with the support of medical professionals. Keep the dialogue going with psych and your support network to make sure you are coming off the medicine as safely as possible.

Look after yourself!
  • Options
    Yup one step closer finally :) yeh CPN lectured me about it so best listen -for once- as I know what happens when I come off them suddenly not that I'm bothered! But yeh blah blah blah -listened and noted- :)

• Options
    -listened and noted- :)
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Liz

It sounds like you're doing really well :) You seem to have a good balance of knowing what you want for yourself, but also doing research and taking on other people's advice - which is really impressive.

If you want another place to talk through coming off medication, Mind's Infoline can be really good for an alternative perspective.

Do let us know how you're getting on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Danny :)

Still waiting psych to get back and get to see what the pharmacist said tomorrow when I have therapy to see if I agree with it worried about the side effects of the meds they might put me on but will see how they go hopefully won't make me much fatter I'm fed up of all this weight but no matter how much I exercise it makes no difference, eat healthy or not eat the weight doesn't shift hopefully these meds won't slow the metabolism down as much as this one does will see what goes :)

They say you should be involved in your own care so I make sure I'm listened to coz they don't always but keep repeating myself its eventually noted haha

• Options
    Therapist off sick, CPN on annual leave great the one time I really need to talk the safe people aren't in. Great! -day fucked off-

• Options
    Going to be in for a CPN lecture Tuesday 😁

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Liz

I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? I'm sorry that no one was available when you needed support, that's really tough. How do you feel about contacting a phone line (or email or online support) in that situation?

We have our live support chats on here as well, which are a really good place for regular support.
  • Options
    Hi Danny

I'm ok thanks struggling as I have no meds but see CPN tomorrow so hopefully she'll sort something out for me :)

• Options
    CPN new I stopped meds before I even told her!! Now to wait for psych appt next week to decide best way forward! Wasn't in mood to talk to her this morning too early :o

• Options
    Think the meds are out my body now feel so suicidal voices won't shut the fuck crisis are a load of bull 'carry on what you're doing' ok mate will see you in a&e! Time to drown the voices out seeing as crisis won't listen to me!

• Options
    How are you getting on Liz? *hug*
  • Options
    Seeing therapist today hopefully all goes well going to see if gp can give me something to get me through weekend :)

Thanks for the hugs butterfly :)

• Options
    Therapist and CPN want me back on meds before I go back to psych but I can't deal with the meds but they're still trying to convince me to go back on them coz of my low mood and voices getting worse. Ugh!

• Options
    Hey there Liz :wave:

Did you manage to let the therapist know how you felt about the meds? Did they suggest any alternatives for you to try?

Hope you're ok - thinking about you *hug*
  • Options
    Finally had my psych appt and got my new meds but was a piss take to get hold of them had to get my CPN to ring round to see if they had them in and the pharmacy I went to had them in having told me they didn't! Was a nightmare but finally feel more calmer on them! Yay! Hopefully to a calmer Christmas now! Just really restless on them but that's just side effects hopefully will settle down!

• Options
    Really good news to hear you managed to get your new meds and that you're already feeling calmer. Thanks for sharing that. I hope the side effects settle down for you soon as well. Have a good Christmas BlondieLiz :yes:
  • Options
    Hi BlondieLiz,

How's it going? I realise I'm late to your thread and all may be resolved by now but only just saw it.

I've put on tonnes of weight with antipsychotics over the years (risperidone and olanzapine were the main ones that made me gain), I totally relate to not wanting to stay on them and then getting unwell off them. I now take aripiprazol (abilify) which seems to have a much better effect on my weight. My dose goes up and down depending on how I am but I do find it manageable and has less nasty side effects than others.

I hope the new one works out for you.

Randomgirl :)
  • Options
    I write this with the knowledge that everybody's experiences are different. I have a bipolar 2 diagnosis and was given quetiapine during a mixed episode (hypomania with the awful baggage of depressive feelings - it's like being sped up and at the same time bad thoughts). I weaned myself off it last year and have been considering taking a new antipsychotic. SSRIs give me hypomania.

Good points
    - I slept a lot and eventually had more functional sleep cycles
    - I didn't experience hypomania on it
    - It took the edge off depression

Bad points
    - Food didn't taste good and I never felt full or satisfied
    - My waist bloated up to three inches after food
    - I couldn't crap
    - I had no sex drive and couldn't come
    - I didn't feel happy or enjoy anything, I just felt numb
    - I was exhausted all the time
    - I felt confused/fuzzy headed a lot (more often than I do now, though brain fog is part of my illness)
    - Bad concentration
  • Options
    Hi RG :)

Risperidone was good for me didn't make me put weight on but made my prolactin levels extremely high that I had to stop them and change apprently abilify is the least one to make you gain weight and the way psych put it in the letter is as if I'm lying about weight gain. Just started on haloperidol and it's done wonders so far just have to have prolactin levels checked again πŸ˜‹ thank you for replying!

Hey Namaste,

I've tried quietipine but it made me put on weight so had to come off that but I found it great to help with sleep but no longer take it appreciate your reply thank you πŸ˜†