Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What do you do to keep yourself organised?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am trying to get myself mega-organised, but I haven't found many solutions that work for me - I use my iphone a lot, I use the calendar a fair bit, but the reminders app isn't great because it bleeps once and if I miss it then it's easy to completely miss my reminder! I am about as disorganised as it gets so I was thinking having a day a month (first or last Monday) to plan the next month and monday morning every week (to include doing a bit of tidying too). But I think I need some other pointers!

So please share your organisational wisdom!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello

You could use a written memo/calendar/diary.

Keep yourself a folder.

What kind of organisation are you talking about?
    What do you do to keep yourself organised?

I lose things very easily (asides my phone) so I've decided to keep most of it electronic and that way it can be synced with my laptop. I forget to look at to do lists and my calendar unless I have alarms for everything!

Personal/study/work/house organisation - I've got poor working memory/short term memory, I never remember dates or times, I frequently lose my trail of thought or conversation, and I need to be able to as self reliant as possible.
    I use my phone, the task list on it, the diary on it, a good old fashioned paper diary and a white board.

I've got into the habit of looking at the diary on the phone each morning, I make appointments for stuff I need to do at the time I think makes most sense to do them, and then use self discipline to rearrange those appointments in the diary if I don't do them.i then look at the diary at the end of the day and make sure I've done everything or rearrange it to another day. Self discipline is a big factor in it though -apps will only get you so far.

For example, I've got supermarket, piano practise, clean bathroom and general tidying in my diary. - as well as the more obvious haircut , doctor, meeting etc.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I use my diary and also post it notes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Does iOS support the Google Calendar app? Mine has lots of reminders that don't just beep once...
    I know it supports google calendars through the native iCal app but I'm not sure about the google calendar app itself. I played around with the reminders app but one ring or bleep and that's it :(

Riotmama found something called passion planner...looks really good but it's paper based!

Self discipline is something I need to learn! Other than self flagellation any ideas how I can get myself into that one?? I have motivation but I forget so much I'm just getting myself into a total muddle all the time!
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster

I've got into the habit of looking at the diary on the phone each morning, I make appointments for stuff I need to do at the time I think makes most sense to do them, and then use self discipline to rearrange those appointments in the diary if I don't do them.i then look at the diary at the end of the day and make sure I've done everything or rearrange it to another day. Self discipline is a big factor in it though -apps will only get you so far.

I think Scary Monster's suggestion about habit here could be really helpful. If you regularly, for example, check your diary when you get up, tidy up on a Saturday afternoon, study at particular hours etc. , then over time you should be able to form a habit. At the point when those things happen automatically, then you don't need to consciously remember them. Might be worth a try ...
    Yeah I think your right, I just need to get myself into those habit regardless of what else is happening - for instance, I'm staying at MrRiot's until Monday and I got 4 hrs sleep last night. This is the kind of change I have on a regular basis and I can't always foresee it, so I need to find ways of making habits and keeping them going regardless what else is going on around me.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Rely on my missus.
    Weekender Offender 
    lol

I have the same problem. I put all important dates in my Google calender and because my phone is Android, I can sync the two and I get messages reminding me.