Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Expert chat: Job hunting woes (Tuesday 11th November, 6:45-8pm)

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
Hey everyone,

On Tuesday, we'll be running an expert chat all about job hunting and how to get through it in one piece!

What's the chat about
Looking for work is pretty hard work in itself, and can often be pretty demoralising. We've invited Saj from Artemis Recruitment to answer your questions about how to deal with rejection, or lack of responses from the organisations you've applied to and keep yourself motivated when on the hunt for a job.

Who is the expert?
Here's some more info about Saj:
Jffvsed.png
Saj Samiullah has worked extensively within the IT industry starting out at a charity and finishing off in the City. In 2011, he set up his own IT recruitment business and now works quite a bit with graduates. He has been a hiring manager, a job seeker and is now a recruitment consultant meaning he has an all round view of what young people should be doing to give themselves the best chance in today's competitive job market.

He enjoys IT, supporting a well known London football club, dance music, his family and generally being young at heart!

How will the chat work?
Helen be moderating this chat and will keep your questions in a queue so that Saj can answer them one by one. However, we also really encourage you all to chip in by sharing experiences and ideas that might be helpful.

You will be able to log in as normal on the night in the usual place: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

What if I can't make it but I have a question?
We can accept questions in advance and put them to Saj on the night, however live questions will take priority. If you have a question you'd like answered then please PM Helen with it.

Any other questions? Feel free to post them below :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds great!!
    oooh yay, ill try and remember!
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    This is tomorrow (Tuesday) everyone!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    And now tonight! :D
    This is only slightly tongue-in-cheek...

How many unsolicited emails do you send in one day?

How many times have you pretended to know someone in a company you're phoning even though you've never spoken to anyone in that company before?

What do the words "no recruitment agencies" mean to you when you see them on a job advert?

As I'm someone who works in IT: what's the percentage chance you've contacted me on LinkedIn?

Do you use recruitment agencies to recruit the recruiters that work at your company?

Things that spring to mind as I bat away the umpteenth unsolicited I.T. Recruiter this week...

:D
    As an aside, if anyone is looking for a Junior Web Developer job in the Brighton area then hit me up. I'm hiring for a position within the company I work for. N.B. no recruitment agencies.
  • casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    I want to go but dont know if i should or not :(
    "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" 
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
    Go!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    casscub wrote: »
    I want to go but dont know if i should or not :(

Yes you should deffo come :thumb:
  • casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    **helen** wrote: »