Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone (not counting m/roll) remember RADIO CAROLINE?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone remember RADIO CAROLINE?

Only just noticed it's 35 years ago today (1967) that the pirate radio ships & forts became illegal - each one closed during the course of that day, until only the two Caroline ships remained on air at mid-night!

Caroline South off Kent & Caroline North off the Isle of Man.

What rebels!

So, raise a glass to the pirate stations - without them society would be somewhat different today:p

Comments

• Options
    I remember it, my mum always used to have it on in the car.
  • Options
    hmmph. fiddley de dee.
    fiddly de dah.
    tap tap tap.....................ho hum. i'll just go and get a beer from the fridge then..if thats ok with you ?
    wheres my rizla ?
    well i'll buggar off to anything goes then......right ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

well i'll buggar off to anything goes then......right ?

No offence intended, just knew you were old enough to remember them;)
  • Options
    Wasnt it actualy that anyone found helping them was breaking the law rather then them.

I thought the way the law worked was that broadcasting itself wasnt banned but by helping them, giving them records etc, then you were 'aiding and abeting' I maybe wrong though.
  • Options
    bongbudda - you are right, as from 31/8/67 mainland (15/9/67 Isle of Man), the broadcasting was legal as it from international waters.

But working for them, advertising on them, supplying them etc., became illegal.

In the 70s, Greenpeace used the Rainbow Warrior to supply them with up to 3 months of fuel, water and food at a time - in return for money & free advertising.

:)