Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

DRUG DRIVING - advice here!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Daily Mail owned Western Daily Press has today decided to re-run last week's news - HOWEVER take note of the last line!

TORIES URGE PROBE INTO DRUG DRIVING

11:00 - 13 August 2002

Home Secretary David Blunkett is hiding his "head in the sand" over the growing problem of drug driving, the Conservatives claimed yesterday.

Shadow Home Office minister Nick Hawkins urged the Government to carry out a "proper investigation" into the scale of the problem of motorists who get behind the wheel after taking drugs such as cannabis.

Mr Blunkett's downgrading of cannabis to Class C will only increase the number of drug-drive accidents, which some evidence suggests are already responsible for one-in-five road deaths, Mr Hawkins said.

Drug driving can currently be punished with a 12-month ban, a fine and a prison sentence but there is no legal limit for drugs as there is for alcohol.

Officers have to ask motorists to carry out a series of tests, such as walking in a straight line or touching their nose.

Refusing to perform such tests is not an arrestable offence. :D

So, it's good consanoon arseable:p

Comments

• Options
    i think that refusing to do the test should be an arrestable offence. Drug driving is just as bad as drink driving. A car is a lethal weapon and shouldnt be driven unless the driver is completely sober - no drinks and no drugs.
    goes without saying doesnt it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    - no drinks and no drugs.
    goes without saying doesnt it?

No drinks? Not one? The law doesn't state that - it's about being in control, so one or two drinks OR a couple spliffs - OK as long as you are in control.

However, interesting advice, if you are stopped and worried 'cos you have had a little smoke.

Plus, I must quote this:

Cannabis may make you a safer driver!

A report published last year (2000), after extensive UK government funded research by the ‘Transport Research Laboratory”, suggested that driving under the influence of cannabis may not be so dangerous as claimed before.

After receiving exemption from prosecution by the Home Office, a number of cannabis smokers were given top-grade cannabis to smoke prior to undertaking a number of tests.

The results confirmed research undertaken by various western countries, including the U.S. and Australia, that the mellowing effects of cannabis makes drivers more cautious, and so less likely to drive in a dangerous manner.

Those under the influence were found to be more cautious and as a result cannabis has little impact on the their risk of being involved in a crash.

Although cannabis affected reaction time, the users tended to over compensate for any perceived impairment, driving slower and more carefully.

Similar research by the Australian Drugs Foundation found that cannabis was the only drug tested that decreased the relative risk of having an accident.

:eek: - they are the experts, not me!

Note: Holland has one of the safest records for road accidents in Europe:eek:
  • Options
    maybe one drink if youve got a high tolerance anyway, but IMO preferably none, drink/drug driving is certainly not a joke and shouldnt be condoned. if youre going to have a spliff or a pint, get someone else to drive.
  • Options
    I agree with whspliff.net

Me and my mates were all having a discussion on this the other day and we also came to the conclusion that whilst driving on drugs you are more alert and more careful if anything, there was a programme on TV last nite, Drivers from Hell, it claimed to show "a driver on drugs" would have liked a description as to what he had taken and just how much.
  • Options
    are you sure it wouldnt just make you over confident and cocky.
    also if you did have an accident and they did find out you were under the influence, i dont think theyd go easy on you. Ive heard plenty of people say they think a drink makes them a better driver, but theres evidence to say that it doesnt. a car is a LETHAL WEAPON. driving under the influence of anything is stupid and irresponsible.
  • Options
    urmm....i dont actually drive i'm usually a passenger.

I've actually lost my point, there should be a limit to drugs consumption and driving but how do you measure it?

You cant without taking a blood test (i think):confused:

Someday, soon someone will have worked out how to measure it.

I'm quitting this conversation as I dont feel educated enough to participate.

But what I will say is the people I know are careful.
  • Options
    I strongly agree with almost everything that rainbow brite has said. Only I feel very strongly that no alchohol whatsoever should be drank, not even a shandy !!!!!!!!
    If anyone is going to drink or take drugs then the keys of the car should be put well away. I personally will not go out for a drinking session if I know that I have to drive the following morning.
    On a final note this is for tichy pud......... You came to the conclusion that whilst driving on drugs you are more alert and more careful..........I bet you are, probably watching out making sure that a flashing blue light aint following ya !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [On a final note this is for tichy pud......... You came to the conclusion that whilst driving on drugs you are more alert and more careful..........I bet you are, probably watching out making sure that a flashing blue light aint following ya !!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

nice one betyybop.
  • Options
    Well thank you very muchly sir ;)
  • Options
    I am ashamed to say I have done this a few times, but would not do it again. Please dont bother to tell me how bad it is I know.

Personaly I find driving stoned a bit of a nightmare, its just too easy to get distracted. I would find my thoughts wandering while I was going down the road. Kind of like, hmmm, the windscrean is a bit dirty, maybe I should wash my car later, I'm not sure I can be bothered.... OH shit, I'm driving!

As for booze, I had a driving lesson pissed once, oops I didnt mean too, it was just that I had forgot and then the woman turned up at my door. I was so scared that she would clock me that I think my adrenaline compensated for it. I'd never do that again.

I've driven back from the station at 7am after a heavy night out few times too, on the tail end of pills, speed etc. The main problem I found was that I was really tierd and couldnt concentrate properly.

I've been in the car when someone on acid was driving, that was a bit scary, he couldnt remember the way home at all.

Basicaly I really think that theres enough deaths on the road already, about 3500 each year!
    If your going out to drink, smoke, drop pills, whatever then just find another way home. Get a taxi, take the night bus, or my prefered option just keep partying till the trains are working again and then go home.

Again, please dont bother bitching me, I'm just saying what I have experianced.
  • Options
    In my mind, drug driving equates with drink driving. I don't ttake drugs myself but I respect the right of someone to do so. But with freedom comes responsibilty. You cannot be totally stoned and drive a car as that can violate others' freedoms.
  • Options
    My friends Katie and Claire do it all the time, most of my friends do.

In fact, most of the people I know who smoke pot and drive, do so.

Quite scary actually how today's youth do take it so casually.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've done it, infact, a few weeks ago I was driving around Pendine Sands when I totally wasted (had been bonging)..but I was so mellow I drove at like 10-20mph most of the way, giggling to myself.

I can see the point about it but I am truly worried as to how many people do consider driving under the influence of canabis to be cool, infact, we usually have a laugh when people drive badly.

Sad world, isn't it?
  • Options
    I'm with rainbow brite on this...

Regardless of the current law, the best situation is "if you drive, don't be drinking, don't be on drugs".

Really, every time you drive you take a risk of killing yourself / killing some-one else.

Anything you do that could possibly increase that risk of that happening should be avoided.
  • Options
    :D hey glad we agree on something :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I must admit that I've drivin while under the influence of quite a range of substances, cannabis, ecstasy, speed, coke, and alcohol. Thankfully I've never had an accident and have pretty much stopped it all together, although I will still drive at anything up to 2 pints of lager. As for driving while stoned, I find that after I've had a smoke I get too paranoid to drive anyway!

Ecstasy is quite simialr to alcohol in the way it affects you're driving. I've done it many times coming back from clubs. It may not be funny now cos I've grown up a bit, but we used to joke that when you can read the text on your mobile without closing one eye, then you were safe to drive home.
    Although it doesn't affect your coordination so much it does lead you into a false sense of security like alcohol. In otherwords you sit there at the wheel thinking you're fine, when in actual fact half the time your eyes are concentrated on the inside of your skull. Dodgy!

There was quite a serious intependant survey done by some research group a couple of years back that was reported by Mixmag.

It found that coke despite the fact that it made peope a little cocky, actually improved your driving skills in all areas!

3 or four joints had almost no effect on the drivers skills!

Drug's such as Amphetamine, Ecstasy were dangerous and really were to be avoided if driving!

Trips (Acieeed, Shrooms etc) were classed as being as dangerous, and in the same league as alcohol!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    One of my mates drove whilst we were all on acid once. Crazy shit. We got chased by a load of buses (don't ask!) and ended up driving round an abandoned go-kart track in the middle of nowhere.

Fun at the time but looking back...:eek: