Home Home, Law & Money
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Housing options after leaving aunt's place

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm not the person my aunt expected me to be so she left me a note saying that I need to find a place of my own. She's trying to get me to leave her house and I want to leave as I hate it here but I don't know what to do... I'm at college until July and then I'm going uni... I want to leave but I have nowhere else to go. What should I do?


  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Sunny ScotlandPosts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    How old are you? Can you not stay at a friends house? and you can always go to the council and declare yourself as homeless, with a letter from your aunt saying she kicked you out they can out you in emerggancy accomodation until they find somewhere for you :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm 18 and unfortunately I don't think I can stay at any of my friends houses. I haven't technically been kicked out but she wants me out of the house
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey hopey and welcome to TheSite :wave:

    I'm really sorry to hear that things have reached this point with you auntie. Hopefully we can provide you with some useful links to help you to think through your options.

    As Bubbles says, your first port of call is to talk to your local council, there is some more info in our 'Help, I'm homeless article': http://www.thesite.org/housing/housing-problems/help-i-am-homeless-7975.html

    You can use this search tool to find your local council's housing department: https://www.gov.uk/homelessness-help-from-council

    Shelter also have an advice finder that could be useful, there may be some local housing ancientness able to offer you advice and support in working out what options are available to you: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_services_directory

    Another one to consider is NightStop, they may have a scheme in your area.

    It's likely that the council may suggest mediation at first to see if it's possible for you and your auntie to work things out, you can find out a bit more about that process here.

    Quite a few different links there so take your time to explore them all when you have a bit of time in front of a computer.

    You mentioned that you're not the person your auntie expected you to be? Can you tell us a bit more about what's been going on? Have you been living with her long?

    Keep us posted and we'll do what we can to support you through this *hug*
Sign In or Register to comment.