Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Communication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here’s an interesting article. It talks about a study where people sent the text message ‘I haven’t been fully honest with you’ to their partners and then weren’t supposed to reply for at least an hour afterwards. Obviously, this would cause most people to feel anxious about what their partner has been up to.

The article says that if you receive an ambiguous message like this you should take a moment to think about past positive experiences and give your partner the benefit of the doubt.

How does everyone else react when others send you a vague message and don’t get back to you? Is it harder to give your partner the benefit of the doubt if you feel you’ve got more to lose?

Comments

• Options
    I'd guess is probably depends massively on what kind of time frame you're used to responses in.

With the current working arrangements boy and I have, it's pretty common for text conversations to stop suddenly from one end because of work or network problems - so I'd probably be none too concerned and just assume it's the first half of a message that went onto say 'actually I'm working this weekend' or something.

Back when was used to having signal the whole time, I'd have had a minor panic.
  • Options
    I definitely agree with Scary in terms of it really depends on your frame of mind.

If my ex had sent me a text like that, I would have feared the absolute worse. Part of me thinks that I would have completely reacted in the moment but then part of me thinks that I would have been so scared to have those fears confirmed that I would have just turned my phone off and then when he returned home and asked about it I would have been like "what text? I didn't get a text" or "my phones been upstairs on charge all day".

Some of those angry replies in the article though! Seriously could you imagine how sick you would feel if your partner replied with "well I haven't been honest either, totally lied and did actually cheat on you". That must have been awful :(