Home Home, Law & Money
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

on leaving prison...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I was released last week from prison and cant find any financial support. The ex mrs threw all my stuff out (literally) when I got arrested, not only that she left me without a single penny. I walked out of there with the clothes on my back..thats it. I have applied for JSA, but I need things like clothes, a bed for where im staying, shoes, money to renew my driving licence. I cant seem to find anything:confused:.....can anyone suggest anything. Thank you

Comments

• PGreenPGreen Moderator Posts: 175 Settling in
    Hey Mightywhitey

Welcome to the boards, it's great that you are reaching out for help here, it can take time to find your feet and to re-adjust to life after being in prison.

Here at TheSite we have an article on help with finances when leaving prison that might be a useful read.

Also NACRO have a helpline and support for exoffenders covering things like housing, education/training, jobs and finance and insurance.

Also your local Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) can be really helpful - you can find your local CAB and their phone number here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/about_this_site/get_advice.htm

The Hardman Trust may also be worth having a look they provide financial awards to help prisoners and ex offenders achieve their goals.

I hope some of the above is useful, good luck with everything. Continue to share on here and reach out to the community for support.
    :wave:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Mightywhitey,

I volunteer for an Charity called Crisis and you can find them here http://www.crisis.org.uk/?gclid=CIXn1MTZrsECFYzHtAodWHEA9g

They could be of some use to you maybe? They work with homeless people, but also help a lot of people apply for money they're entitled to, help with food vouchers for food banks, they run a large variety of classes, they help with back to work support and more. Their website is defo worth a look at along with the other links that have been provided above!!

All the best :)