Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stopped by Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday I ran a red light, completely by accident, I had been working late (this was at midnight and I had been at work since 8am, awake since 6am) and had a momentary lapse of concentration. The police saw and pulled me over. They breatalised me and checked my insurance but then let me go. Will I receive a fine or was I let off this time?

Comments

• Options
    Jess12345 wrote: »
    Yesterday I ran a red light, completely by accident, I had been working late (this was at midnight and I had been at work since 8am, awake since 6am) and had a momentary lapse of concentration. The police saw and pulled me over. They breatalised me and checked my insurance but then let me go. Will I receive a fine or was I let off this time?

I am not a driver and dont have any knowledge of this but im guessing that if you were gonna be fined then the police would have mentioned it to you?xx
  • Options
    Generally if they've stopped you, they'd tell you they're giving you a fine there and then or that you'll receive one in the post. Just wait to see if you get any mail, if not, you probably haven't gotten one this time.
  • Options
    L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    edited May 2018
    He probs let you off as don't police ussually hand you a ticket if you get fined for something as  doesn't money have to be paid by a certain date. But the officer should of told you if it was a warning.

.  i was cycling from my college exam  their was a police car behind me, i changed gears and sped up. Then as because traffic lights change so quickly. I failed to noticed it changed to amber so it was about to go red. Sometimes if your going fast you can't stop on time on bicycles and this happend twice.  i thought i was going to get pulled over as from the police car's perspective it would of as the light changed to red as soon as i was crossing the stop line.  Luckily i didn't get pulled over but i dunno i guess they either saw me stop at a traffic light that was already red or they went different way. As even cyclists have to follow the road laws. After all highway code does apply to all road users.  I hate seeing cyclists jump lights/cycle on pavement

The only time i would cross a red light would be 1. If it's downhill and your brakes don't slow down in time it's better to keep going then stopping inside a yellow box. 2. To try to prevent a accident e.g If it's because of a close call and the only way to get around it is to jump the red light. 

There's a time i thought a police car was going to pull me over because bassically i was in front of a bus (i meant to signal not many cyclist do in that junction as it's only one way) and then suddenly i heard a honk then followed by a siren that kept going on and off and i guessed it wasn't for the bus as the bus didn't pull over it overtook as i was turning. So even though i wasn't sure just incase i just stopped on the pavement and the police car went past. So i guess. It could of been after a different cyclist as quite a few cyclists jump lights especially that light as it's a quiet junction as otherwise why would they honk and turn sirens on and off a couple of times. Weird thing is i didn't hear his siren and he just turned up the next road that wasn't far from where i just came from but i only stopped as at the time i wasn't sure what he was trying to do as it's better to be safer then sorry and also so if he needed to get past to go past as it was a narrow road with lots of buses.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure police cars honk slightly if they want someone to pull over if it's quiet at times and they don't want people to let them pass. As i've always thought the way you know if police car is pulling you over is honk then siren on/off and if they people to get past they ussually just have their sirens on or sometimes just lights flashing

I don't get why veichles don't move out the way always for emergency services. Like i remember once cycling around i was far back as i wasn't filtering but i was in the appropiate lane as a roundabout was about to approach. The traffic lights turned red. I looked back there was this police van with it's lights just flashing. No car was moving out of the way. I was trying to but i couldn't at the time so i managed to move into the other lane partly so police van  could get past. Then weirdly that's when he decided Just meant i had to go back to the appropiate lane afterwards but since i was partly in it. It didn't really matter. Although people do need the pull over for emergency services. 

(i actually don't drive at moment but know a lot about the road rules as i cycle around a lot.) 
    Luckily i've never been pulled over because i follow the rules.

Post edited by L100 on
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread since it's very old. @L100 feel free to make a new discussion if this is something you want to talk about since more people will be likely to see it then :)

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.