Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Making silly remarks – how do you respond?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
There’s a brief article here that advocates turning “a deaf ear to silly remarks to avoid damaging relationships”. So, if your partner says something stupid, or just a bit daft:

“by playing dumb and simply pretending you didn't hear the stupid remark you give the person time to self-correct and let those wrong words drift away and not damage the interaction”.

What do you do? If your partner, or date, or friend says something silly do you let it lie, or would you bring them up on it?

What would you prefer when you make a mistake?
k7mvlk9f3ea8rqgxhc2v.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would bring it up if it effected me but if it didn't bother me I would have forgot about it straight away x
  • Options
    What do we mean by a silly mistake? Like being a bit weird or saying something embarrassing that shows their crazy side, or making a mistake like not noticing when you want to spend time with them and going out with their mates?
  • Options
    I usually point at them and laugh really loud, spray little droplets of spittle everywhere and get into coughing fits when I gasp for air. People love it. They give me those long, expressionless stares that mean that they silently approve of my courage of calling the person in question out without them having to be the ones to do it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    What do we mean by a silly mistake? Like being a bit weird or saying something embarrassing that shows their crazy side, or making a mistake like not noticing when you want to spend time with them and going out with their mates?

I think it's getting at when someone says something that's awkward or seems a bit ignorant. I like what you say here about someone saying something embarrassing that shows their crazy side though - I guess that may fall into the domain of awkward... Have you experienced that much in relationships? How do you tend to respond?
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    There?s a brief article here that advocates turning ?a deaf ear to silly remarks to avoid damaging relationships?. So, if your partner says something stupid, or just a bit daft:

?by playing dumb and simply pretending you didn't hear the stupid remark you give the person time to self-correct and let those wrong words drift away and not damage the interaction?.

What do you do? If your partner, or date, or friend says something silly do you let it lie, or would you bring them up on it?

What would you prefer when you make a mistake?
    k7mvlk9f3ea8rqgxhc2v.jpg

Let sleeping dogs lie; god knows my now wife let me slide a lot during my first 6 months.

It's often better to let the silly stuff slide because chances are, they're already beating themselves up internally 1000 times over for it. Last thing they would need is me pointing them out in their stupidity. We're on a date, it needs to be relaxing and not full of awkward moments of her and I pointing out our mistakes.

Unless, of course they said something like "I like eating poo as a hobby" or something completely socially unacceptable.
  • Options
    Some good points here :)

I think it's important to see how a comment affects you, and if you feel that you need to address it. But it's also important to think about how pulling the person up on their comment would affect them. They might be embarrassed or ashamed, for instance, and letting something lie might be best!
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    If it's something offensive or hurtful, like an offhand remark, I normally just give him the 'really?' look. But if he says something weird or silly we've been together long enough for me to ask what the fuck is going through his head and have a laugh about it, it's the same both ways.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    If it's something offensive or hurtful, like an offhand remark, I normally just give him the 'really?' look. But if he says something weird or silly we've been together long enough for me to ask what the fuck is going through his head and have a laugh about it, it's the same both ways.

That's a good point - I think the answer depends on your relationship. If you know that you can have a laugh about it together, then it can be fun. It's nice to have that kind of relationship :)

Maybe it's more when you know someone might be sensitive, or you're just not really sure, that it can be better to let it lie?