Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Medication??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Hey Guys,

Had my first meeting with psychiatric nurse and they've been discussing medication for my depression and anxiety. Really don't know whether to take them! What are other peoples views and experiences on this? Do they help, and are they easy to come off them?

Peace,

R xx

Comments

• Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey rosierawrz,

Well done on meeting with a psychiatric nurse :)
    It can be pretty daunting having these kinds of conversations, so you're taking a great step towards finding support.

The thought of taking medication must seem a bit anxious-making too. Does it feel like quite a big deal?

When it comes to things like antidepressants (is that what you're asking about?), people often have mixed feelings.
    For some people, they can be really helpful, but for others less so. I know that's not a particularly helpful thing to say, so it might be worth taking a look at our article called 'Should I take antidepressants?' and also our 'Antidepressants FAQ' - hopefully those will give you more of an idea of what to expect and help you ask your nurse the right questions :)
  • Options
    Hi,

Are you having therapy as well?! Medication can help relive some of the symptoms associated with depression and anxiety. I'm on medication and it had really helped to get me back in track but with the right support as well it can help loads more.

Hope you're ok :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Just as Liz said medication can help but it would also be really good if you could possibly engage in counselling if you don't already do so 😊

Hope you're doing okay

Sent by Sony Xperia