Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving Out.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been dreading this for a while now, but seeing as I'm 20 next year, I thought it would be a good idea to start thinking about moving out of my parent's house.

I have no idea where to start, so could any of you guys give me some tips on what to look for, what to avoid etc?

thank you!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

There was an expert chat on this kind of thing a little while ago, I don't know whether it will be much help to you but http://www.thesite.org/housing/student-housing/expert-chat-moving-out-to-university-12322.html There's the link for it. Maybe give it a read?
    Ah thank you!
    No problem :)
    Have you looked at the cost (either rent or buy) of houses in your local area?
    I have looked at a few sites like Zoopla etc, but I can get my mum to help me as she is a lettings agent and helps with landlords :)
    Then best bet is ask her and not us lol. Doubt Many people here work for an EA
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Then best bet is ask her and not us lol. Doubt Many people here work for an EA

I think it's helpful to ask here too - personal experiences are just as valid. :)

Haych, have you thought about who you might want to live with?
    Hi,

As people have said about saving it is a good idea but I think it depends on your home life? Can you manage at home? Do you want to move out as your friends are moving out etc? Who do you want to live with? do you want to live alone?

I personally left home at 18 but my home life wasn't great if I had the chance I would have left at 16. I don't regret leaving home, I love living on my own but it's not for everyone.

Rightmove is another great rent/buy site, loads on there too and if you google as well loads more sites come up.

Have you considered the cost of moving out? Rent/mortgage/bills etc such as internet, phone line, electricity and everything what you need to move out? Facebook selling sites are great for getting furniture and stuff cheaply, to help with a move. Save forking out loads on brand new stuff and as you get settled can save for what you want in your house.

Sorry loads of questions and babbles.

Here if I can help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is exactly my situation right now, I made this account minutes ago just to ask for advice about moving out of my parents house! Only I'm already 20 haha. The most confusing thing for me is whether I'm supposed to find a job in the place i want to live BEFORE i find a flat to rent, or do I rent a place and move out, and be unemployed while getting settled into a new area? Its taken me a year to save up £1000, as im only working part time :/
    Im in the same situation bunny and my plan is to find a job first and then find somewhere to live. If i cant find a flat to live in alone at first then i'll just houseshare til then.

Part of me thinks i should just go and not wait, but i know it could be months til i find a job so it'd be stupid to quit my job and eat into my savings
    Its good to know i'm not the only one having the same dilemma! The thing is, I know where I want to move to but if I got a job there first it'd mean having to get the train there which would be expensive, and make it even harder to save up :( Yeah thats true, sometimes you cant just rush into things otherwise you could end up having to move back within a month cause there was something you'd not thought about! I think the best strategy is save save save til you've got enough for at least 2/3months rent for a place then its safe to move out, quit your current job etc.
    Yep, good to have enough savings to see you through 2/3 months, dont forget bills, food etc. Im sure there'll be somewhere for you to live without having to commute at first but remember that might mean housesharing.

I know where I want to live i think, need to check out a couple of other places but depending on the job i think i'd be happy there. My struggle atm is deciding on and finding a job!
    Too bad my savings are quite pathetic at the moment! I'm not too bothered about commuting, looked into house sharing but i want to move out to be independent, plus living with strangers sounds a bit scary haha. But, once you get a new job thats another step closer to moving out! :hyper:
    Yep same, I want to live alone as well but sometimes needs must and all that. It wouldnt have to be for long if you can get a month by month lease, or 6 months at the max. Im just trying to worry about the job and worry about somewhere to live when i get one!
    I would be happy to move in with someone to make it easier like, sharing the rent costs and stuff like that. But I had a word with my parents over the weekend and the said to remain at home for as long as I can, which I admit sounds like the best idea at the moment.
    But it's the whole independence thing though, I want to start doing all of this stuff but I feel like I'm holding myself back.
    I have two well paying jobs but trying to come up with a flat fund or something like that seems a bit pointless now my mum and dad want me to stay at home.

I don't know what to do.
    You're only 19, really really young and as stifling as it may seem its the best idea to save as much as possible. In the end, rent is dead money that you're giving to someone else for the privilege of living in their house.

Im in the same situation but Im 24 (25 in March!) and people have been saying take your time and save etc but sometimes i think why wait to save your money on something you really want? Well if that was true I probably wouldnt move til i was nearly 30.

My advise is save, save, save and remember that you have years left of your life to worry about paying the bills but dont waste it either, all for the sake of money.

(No help i know, but these are the things that run through my head every day)