Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how will I get better?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK hi:wave:

My names Eva and I'm new here. :p I love how this site have emoticons or whatever you call them :pancake flip:

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for almost 2 years I suppose,well, probably longer but they got a lot worse start of 2013. in that time ive tried 4 medications, CBT and hypnotherapy and none of them seemed to do the job which worries me cus it makes me think "well if they didnt work, what will?":nervous:

I guess I created this thread to find out if anyone on here has been in a similar position and if so how have you managed to get better, what did you have to do and so on, cus I am struggling so much to get rid of my problems and its SO SO unhelpful when people just keep telling me "It'll take time" I'm so fed up I don't want things to take time anymore, my life just seems boring and pointless but I don't want it to be :crying:

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    Hey Eva welcome to TS 🎉 its always great to see new faces

It sounds like you've been struggling quite a lot with the depression and anxiety. Have you thought about having counselling? Its surprising how much talking can actually make you feel better. Maybe not straight away but give it a chance 😋
    Keep talking 😋

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    Hey Eva welcome to TS �� its always great to see new faces

It sounds like you've been struggling quite a lot with the depression and anxiety. Have you thought about having counselling? Its surprising how much talking can actually make you feel better. Maybe not straight away but give it a chance ��
    Keep talking ��

Hey Becki, thanks for taking some time to reply.

I am currently having counselling at CAMHS and I've been having it since about July. and we just seem to be getting nowhere. She just keeps telling me that nothing will change unless I do somethign about it and honestly I have tried. But now it just seems theres too much in my life bothering me and its all gotten too much:crying:. It just seems that everytime I try to give something a go it just doesn't seem to do anything and it's been going on for too long and I don't want to be like this anymore and I don't want to wait anymore time for things to get better, because whenever I start to have hope things will get better they never do:crying:
  • Options
    If you don't feel comfortable talking to your counsellor then its worth asking whether you can have a different one. You need to be able to trust your counsellor for it to work. What do you think?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    If you don't feel comfortable talking to your counsellor then its worth asking whether you can have a different one. You need to be able to trust your counsellor for it to work. What do you think?

Sent by Sony Xperia

I'm not sure because I've literally had about 3 or 4 counsellors...I dont think its the counsellors fault its mine cus I'm rubbish at following what she says:crazyeyes
  • Options
    It sounds like you struggle a bit with counselling which is perfectly normal. I do as well.
    Is there anything you think the counsellors could do to make you feel more at ease

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    It sounds like you struggle a bit with counselling which is perfectly normal. I do as well.
    Is there anything you think the counsellors could do to make you feel more at ease

Sent by Sony Xperia

Hmmm I really don't know :/ they're possibly thinking of changing my medication but like...I can't rely on medication for the rest of my life. As I said before, its not really the fact that the therapist is useless or unhelpful, its me not being able to really engage in it and prepare to do what she suggests like challenging myself. I know that that would probably be useful but for some reason I just cannot think differently about things and just do the things necessary to recover:banghead:
  • Options
    Its a really hard thing to do when your so used to thinking a certain way but after some time you will begin to notice different ways of thinking, honestly.
    For years I felt really bad about myself, I still do sometimes now, but with counselling it helped me see things from different prospective s. Maybe not straight away but definitely once I'd started talking.
    What do you think?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Hi eva,

I can hear a bit of a theme in your posts...
    my life just seems boring and pointless but I don't want it to be
    its me not being able to really engage in it and prepare to do what she suggests like challenging myself

It's like you want to try some of the things your counsellor suggests, you want to make some changes and for things to be different but taking that leap to challenge yourself is really hard and you've not quite managed it yet? Have you tried telling your counsellor this, opening up about your fears or what you think might be holding you back?

When you've struggled with depression and anxiety for some time, it can be hard to imagine life without those feelings and feel strong enough to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. However, doing so can be really rewarding.

What sort of things has she suggested?

As well as medication and therapy there is also an element of self-help that comes into recovery for depression - almost forcing yourself to try new things, take up a hobby or persue some of your interests - these sorts of things can help you find that sense of purpose that it sounds like you're lacking - that things feel boring and pointless? Our article on coping with depression might be useful for you to read as well: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/depression-mental-health/coping-with-depression-5617.html

As Becki says, it's great to hear you have good friends and family around you - do you feel able to confide in them or ask for their help? That might making some plans together like a day trip so that you have something to look forward to, or doing something creative together? What sorts of things do you enjoy doing?

Really glad you found TheSite, hopefully by talking to us you can work things through a bit :)