Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

In college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, im currently on break at college and im panicking... i keep hiding away from everyone... there are so many people i cant handle it.. i dont wanna tell my tutor as i dont want her to think that i cant cope and she will ask me to leave the course... what should i do? How can i keep calm and finish the day?

Thanks
OldBiddy

Comments

• Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey OldBiddy

Sorry to hear that you're finding college tough today. It feels weird going back to college after a long summer break and can take some time to readjust.

Is it a new college you're at or have you returned after summer?

If you don't feel comfortable talking to your tutor is there another teacher or student support service person you could talk to? If you are able to tell someone at college that you are finding it hard to handle today they may be able to offer support. If you are feeling overwhelmed by the amount of people who are around you could ask tutors/teachers if you are able to complete your work somewhere quiet eg the library or an empty classroom.

Is there anywhere quiet you can go for lunch (on your own or with a few freinds)? Taking some time out and a breather might help you to finish the day.

*hug*
  • Options
    Hiya
    How you are feeling today,your first day,is completely normal and natural.

What makes you think youd have to leave the course if you spoke to your tutor?Any one else who you can talk to?

Xx
  • Options
    Im still feeling anxious... but im keeping quiet about it... xx
  • Options
    There a reason why your keeping quiet about it?xx
  • Options
    Coz im the oldest on my course and if i show im the nervest one it wont look good will it... xx
  • Options
    Insee what you mean.But everybody gets nervous,no matter what age they are.Are you going to talk to your tutor at the end of the day then?xx
  • Options
    I dount ill say anything... ive embarrassed myself enough today and made things worse for myself... xx
  • Options
    Im still feeling anxious... but im keeping quiet about it... xx

Hi OldBiddy,

Sorry to hear the first day back has been quite overwhelming for you. It's natural to feel anxious in a new environment with lots of new people. It's great that you've come to talk to us here, our advice on TheSite says talking to someone is the first step so well done for opening up to us :)

Here's the link to our article on what you can do to help yourself cope with the anxiety over the coming days/weeks: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/help-me-with-my-anxiety-5601.html

Have a look and let us know if you think you might be able to try any of the techniques?

I really like these ones...
    “When you feel your anxiety getting out of control, it’s OK to go outside and get some fresh air. Just removing yourself from the situation helps. Stop, have a drink, and focus on your breathing.”
    “When you have anxiety, you’re always focusing on what went wrong; what might happen. You’re not looking at the positives in life,” says psychologist Dr Rick Norris. “But you can choose not to do this. You can challenge your thinking patterns.”

Every night, write down two or three positive things in your life, past or present. What are you proud of? Who are the best people in your life? What are you good at? What do you love doing? If you start noticing the good too, you’re starting to balance things out.

Crappy things do happen, and you’re not making them up, but the good things in life are just as real as the bad.

When you get home today you could write down all the positives from the day, I can start you off with a couple - you reached out to us when you needed to, you didn't run away but you stuck it out. Hang in there and let us know how you're feeling at the end of the day *hug*
  • Options
    It will all be okay.First day nerves will blow over,sont worry :) Stay strong.Also,try the things Jo has suggseted :) xx
  • Options
    Hiya! Just an update, i got home and went to sleep it tired me out haha.. i went back in again today and i did half day but it was brilliant got on well with my group :-) got college again tomorrow and actually im quite looking forward to it :-) thanks everyone xxx
  • Options
    Aww thats great :) Happy for you :) Well done.

What course are you on?xx
  • Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hiya! Just an update, i got home and went to sleep it tired me out haha.. i went back in again today and i did half day but it was brilliant got on well with my group :-) got college again tomorrow and actually im quite looking forward to it :-) thanks everyone xxx

Great news! So glad that your feeling good about college :yippe:
  • Options
    Aww thats great :) Happy for you :) Well done.

What course are you on?xx
    Im so glad i stuck it out! Im on BTEC level 1 diploma in health and social care (Caring across the life span) xx
  • Options
    Sounds good.Do you like t?
  • Options
    So glad that you've manage to settle back in again ☺ Its great that you didn't just give up when things were hard. Good going!! ☺

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Im regretting on sticking it out now! Im really emotional today and all the people on my course have been taking the piss out of me the teacher is doing sod all about it! I just keep crying! I really wanna go home! But if i do i fail the course :'( why do i bother!?
  • Options
    Sorry your having another tough day. Is there anyone in college you trust enough to talk to about this?

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I dont know anyone yet, its my 3rd day :'(... ive had enough... why am i always the target?
  • Options
    What about the teachers? Having you got a learning mentor or a pastoral person

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Sorry to hear it went downhill a lttle today.Whats happened?Cant you talk to a friend about it either?
  • Options
    Onli have my tutor and she doesnt seem to care about it as she is seeing it all... :'(
  • Options
    Im just really emotional toay and everyone is taking the piss... the teacher isnt doing anything about it! :'(
  • Options
    How about having a word with her outside about it?
  • Options
    How about having a word with her outside about it?
    I have tried but she says "oh its just teenage banter" she really does like to remind me that im the oldest here and that i should be more grown up and ignore it... x
  • Options
    I have tried but she says "oh its just teenage banter" she really does like to remind me that im the oldest here and that i should be more grown up and ignore it... x

Thats pathetic.Can you not talk to the the main person/head of the course?
  • Options
    Thats pathetic.Can you not talk to the the main person/head of the course?
    She is the main person, i just want to go home now! :'(
  • Options
    Why dont you see if you can go home for the afternoon to have a break then go back fresh on your next timetabled day?
  • Options

That's the thing with banter, some people can brush it off and for others it can be really hurtful. You might find that it takes a bit of time to build your confidence so that you can deal with it better.

Massive well done for talking to the teacher about it and try not to be so hard on yourself. This is an environment you've not been in for some time so it's going to take some getting used to *hug*

Taking some time out to yourself during the day to relax, maybe listen to some music if you have some and just take some deep slow breaths might help you to feel a little calmer and feel able to take on the afternoon.

Keep us posted on how you're getting on :yes:
  • Options
    Ive walked out! We went outside and i was sat on a bench and the tutor and the rest of the class sat else where and left me on my own... i know im 20 and should take it but that really hurt me so i walked.... x
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that.No matter what age you are,you can still be hurt.Are you okay now??x