Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression Face

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
I'm not sure whether this should go here or in work, but if it needs moving, please do!

I had some training at work today and one of the things that came up is body language and facial expressions. The trainer noticed that I have this kind of "thinking" face which, basically, makes people actually worry about me and whether I'm ok (it's my depression face, but I wasn't about to tell her that). And now that she's mentioned it and kind of hinted that it's something I need to work on because it might put people off from approaching me / work negatively against me and also recently lots of people keep asking if I'm okay because my face isn't it's usual self I'm really worried.

So I need to work on a kind of 'work' or 'happy' face - because when I smile I'm "a completely different person". So when should I present this smiley face? What can I do to present myself better in a room full of colleagues?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You shouldn't pretend to be feeling an emotion that you are not!Though i do xompletely understand what you've said here xx
  • Options
    I do understand what you are saying, but I think it's important in a professional setting to recognise that this may happen and how to deal with it. I don't hesitate to accept that out of work, my face is how it is, but I don't want this to be something that becomes an issue at work.
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    I do understand what you are saying, but I think it's important in a professional setting to recognise that this may happen and how to deal with it. I don't hesitate to accept that out of work, my face is how it is, but I don't want this to be something that becomes an issue at work.

I see.Erm...im not sure,I kimd of have the same problem:) xx
  • Options
    I don't know, if you're concentrating on something (like work) your face just does its own face thing. Perhaps, when you're not concentrating too much, making a conscious effort to make a pleasant face (not necessarily a massive grin but just lips that turn up rather than down) might lead to it becoming a more natural face when you're not thinking about it, even if you're feeling really grim. Also standing up straight and not pulling your hair over your face will do anyone the power of good in looking more approachable.
  • Options
    A wise lady once told me that everyone is 'wearing a mask' just some are more socially acceptable than others.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I don't know, if you're concentrating on something (like work) your face just does its own face thing. Perhaps, when you're not concentrating too much, making a conscious effort to make a pleasant face (not necessarily a massive grin but just lips that turn up rather than down) might lead to it becoming a more natural face when you're not thinking about it, even if you're feeling really grim. Also standing up straight and not pulling your hair over your face will do anyone the power of good in looking more approachable.

Thanks grace, will try to remember to do that!
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hope you are okay :heart: *hug*
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "